The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 31st, 2022

richwmn

45 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cool start to the day but should be sunshiny bright and warm up to a reasonable temperature.  One more day of painting and then I take off to Michigan to go house hunting. 

Tortellini are pasta originally from the Italian region of Emilia (in particular Bologna and Modena). Traditionally they are stuffed with a mix of meat (pork loin, raw prosciutto, mortadella), Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, egg and nutmeg and served in capon broth.

The origin of tortellini is disputed; both Bologna and Modena, cities in Italy's Emilia-Romagna region, claim to be its birthplace. OxfordDictionaries.com traces the etymology of tortellini to the diminutive form of tortello, itself a diminutive of torta ("cake" or "pie" in Italian).

The recipe for a dish called "torteletti" appears in 1570 from Bartolomeo Scappi. Vincenzo Tanara's writings in the mid-17th century may be responsible for the pasta's renaming to tortellini. In the 1800s, legends sprang up to explain the recipe's origins, offering a compromise. Castelfranco Emilia, located between Bologna and Modena, is featured in one legend, in which Venus stays at an inn. Overcome by her beauty, the innkeeper spies on her through a keyhole, through which he can only see her navel. He is inspired to create a pasta in this shape. This legend would be at the origin of the term "ombelico di Venere" (Venus' navel), occasionally used to describe tortellini.[4] In honor of this legend, an annual festival is held in Castelfranco Emilia. Another legend posits that the shape comes from Modena's architecture, which resembles a turtle.

This first recipe is a lightened up version, meaning it only calls for 1/3 cup of heavy cream.  The crushed red pepper flakes give it a little bite.  https://www.aspicyperspective.com/creamy-chicken-tortellini-soup/

2091268727_chickentortellinisoup1.thumb.jpg.195633325d89c70b5547646f8b06994d.jpg

This next one takes out the heavy cream and red pepper flakes and simply  has a nice, rich broth.  https://www.saltandlavender.com/easy-chicken-tortellini-soup/

1724597983_chickentortellinisoup2.thumb.jpg.d72a39c16bd195b4957e2f881b4ecc55.jpg

This next recipe has a different blend of seasonings making the flavor more complex.

https://thecozycook.com/chicken-tortellini-soup/

306481589_chickentortellinisoup3.thumb.jpg.559e05b37fd6b493516e0622bd1670fb.jpg

Here are directions for making the soup in a slow cooker.  https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-chicken-tortellini-soup/

1242386219_chickentortellinisoup4.thumb.jpg.39fd5d7beca590e283d8411d18100c1f.jpg

This last recipe has a tomato broth.  https://www.nospoonnecessary.com/easy-chicken-spinach-tortellini-tomato-soup/

820106017_chickentortellinisoup5.jpg.893ff44c538d3f28a42b91fe5e961000.jpg

On to painting!

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

I just watched a British program over the weekend entitled "Inside the Factory" that was broadcast on our "Smithsonian" channel (Season 3 Episode 2). Not a cooking show, it was all about Pasta. Included were segments on the various regions of Italy for the type of pasta, and a tour of the Barilla mill including how they manufacture tortellini. I remember spotting the Barilla Mill near Parma from the train when we were in Italy in 2019.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28

6 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

No success shoe shopping yesterday.

I am also a flip flop girl from April to November.  During the winter I wear boots.  Sneaker are only for the gym.  

My favorite brand of walking shoes is Allbirds.  I have also worn Sketchers; they have a line called GoWalk.  I like the slip on versions of both brands.   I have friends that wear the Hoka brand for comfort and my mom likes Dansko and Vionic.  You can check them all out online.  I frequently order several pairs on line from Zappos or DSW, get free shipping and returns and just keep the ones that are most comfortable.  

• Like 22

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!   We try to eat outside as often as possible when there isn't snow on the ground.  Fortunately we have our glassed in deck and the pergola as alternate sites when the temps are either too hot or too cool.  I always take trail mix with us when we travel; you never know when you'll be stuck without any food available.  It is enjoyable reading memoirs - you often learn something new about the author.

Another clear blue sky this morning, the last one before students return to school.  I'm sure the stores are going to be busy with last minute purchases, so I think we'll steer clear.  The temperature is supposed to hit 34C (95F), so we will definitely be eating outside today!

For the Garden Club, here are a couple of photos of our King Tut Papyrus plants; they started off about 1.5 feet tall and now are taller than our 6'6" fence.  Definitely will be purchasing them again next year.

1337545205_Plant1.JPG.62ac96dfdba2f1733406e529ca442eba.JPG

2034423422_Plant2.JPG.eef9b2530259771d92595f074fea185a.JPG

Not a lot on the agenda today, just heading to the dental office for my regular 6 month cleaning.  After that I'll be cleaning the house, as we're going to try to have our friends over for dinner tomorrow night - the one we had to cancel a few weeks ago because Covid reared it's ugly head in our house.  Because it's going to be so warm, we won't be having soup tonight - I'm thinking ham sandwiches and mixed vegetable plate will be on our menu in the pergola.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, cheers for those with celebrations.  Remembering too, Princess Diana who sadly passed away 25 years ago today.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Wednesday Morning Dailyites!

We had a wonderful walk yesterday.  Even if we didn't feel better physically, mentally, it was a nice break.  We parked, we walked the first part of the woods, crossed a bridge heading towards the meadow, and there were two deer.  The meadow was full of flowers, the grass on the trail had just been mowed, and the air was sweet with the smell.  

It was day two of the California campaign, I've had a sale each day.  DH has taken over the cooking of the dinner, but still asks me questions, and while I will serve him dinner when it's ready, he calls me and tells me to fix my own plate.  Cant wait for that cruise, when my plate is placed in front of me. 

I'm a lost yankee living in the south.  I hate hot weather.  Eating outside during the summer months does not appeal to me at all.  In September and October it's a bit better, but the yellow jackets get on the food, and into any canned drink you are drinking.  So, that's not too much fun either.   December and January sound good. 

1178097797-funny-built-this-bear-hands-picnic-table-pun-joke-pics.jpg

California campaign is inviting me to work on the Holiday.  I think I will for 4 hours.  This current week will show on my next pay check, the day before we leave.  Next week will be on the pay check when I get home.  Which will help, because the next pay check will be 0.00 due to vacation.  But I work for the vacations.  Well it started out that way, now it's the extra cash to be split between the cost of bills going up, and planned vacations.

Have a great day!  Thank you for all that you do, every day!  

fuou-need-me-coffee-made-by-good-morning-everyone-have-a-9004743.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I am also a flip flop girl from April to November.  During the winter I wear boots.  Sneaker are only for the gym.  

My favorite brand of walking shoes is Allbirds.  I have also worn Sketchers; they have a line called GoWalk.  I like the slip on versions of both brands.   I have friends that wear the Hoka brand for comfort and my mom likes Dansko and Vionic.  You can check them all out online.  I frequently order several pairs on line from Zappos or DSW, get free shipping and returns and just keep the ones that are most comfortable.  

Thank You!! I will check them out.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! 

Never received a phone call as requested from our new PCC. I guess, try again.

The roof inspector came on Monday as scheduled. He is an impartial inspector using the Hayes method although hired by the insurance company. He did not give us any real indication what he found other than the workmanship and integrity of our current roof was very good. Also commented that it is important to find a good roofing company, even if you need to wait for scheduling. He has seen some new roof compromised by three years time. We will see what the insurance adjustor says.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

@Heartgrove  Hello Jack -- We are very pleased with our PCC. He's on Pacific time but if I send a morning (EST) email, a canned response is immediately returned reminding readers of his hours. It has been a rare occurrence that I have not spoken with him directly later in the day. If you would like contact info, please drop me a note at o708ba3 at yahoo dot com, with a subject line of PCC Info.

-Cat

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I would love it! HAL is only here in the fall with repositioning after the Canada/New England sailings. THey were here several years ago for a very short time. Passengers complained about the trip from the airport and limited hotels,restaurants. Port Canaveral has grown a lot since then. Hotels of every brand and many new dining places. Transportation options have also improved but we are not getting the train.   Problem is Port Canaveral is also very busy with ships here every day. 

• Like 14

Good morning from a cloudy and humid central Texas.  Rain is still in the forecast through the weekend.🤞

It's been a while since we ate outside though we used to eat outside a lot in Quartzsite.  This summer it's been too hot to even cook outside until recently.  I'm not fond of trail mix, although DH likes it.  Some memoirs can be very interesting.

I like the Robert Frost quote.

The meal looks good, but maybe for a cooler day.  Younger DD  has made fresh tortellini for us, and that's hard to beat.  My job was filling and folding the tortellini.  Let's just say some looked better than others. 😉  After last night's big dinner, I think it will be something lighter.  We'll pass on the drink , but the wine looks interesting.

We have not been to Manta.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi and @HAL4NOW thanks for your pictures.

There's not much on the agenda today.  I had a request for chocolate chip 🍪 cookies, so that will be happening a little later.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the last of the painting goes smoothly.  I also hope you and your sister find the perfect house.

@cunnorl  Charlene, glad you were able to tie up more loose ends for your cruise.

Lenda

• Like 21

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

How would you feel about a BHB home porting in Port Canaveral?

Like @cunnorl I would LOVE it! Same for Tampa. Could drive over the day of cruise rather than going to FT. Lauderdale the day before. MUCH less traffic for DH to contend with.

In fact, we're researching a cruise from either port for Thanksgiving 2024 - will compare with the ones from HAL.

• Like 15

Good Morning All,

Have to be out of here in a few minutes for a haircut and then lots of errands. Will check back later.

Today’s Wine:

Fess Parker 2019 Rodney's Vineyard Dry Riesling (Santa Barbara County, Central Coast, California

And another white. We might even give this one a try.  I found it online for $25 

Winemaker Notes

This Dry Riesling is a beautiful wine aromatically showing notes of white flowers, ginger, and Meyer lemon. On the palate, you will find flavors of lemon and Key lime as well as a light mineral character, backed by a lively, crisp, sleek texture.

Wilfred Wong of Wine.com

COMMENTARY: The 2019 Fess Parker Rodney's Vineyard Dry Riesling is fresh, pleasing, dry, and easy on the palate. TASTING NOTES: This wine exhibits aromas and flavors of flowers, apples, and peach. Enjoy it with a grilled chicken salad in a toss with fresh garden-picked lettuces. (Tasted: April 14, 2021, San Francisco, CA) 90 points.

Wine Enthusiast

Chiseled granite and crushed gravel aromas make for a very stony entry to the brilliant nose of this bottling, which also offers tight apple-peel scents. The palate sizzles with acidity and grips with mineral-driven tension, allowing struck stone, lemon-pith and lime-peel flavors to compete for deserved attention. Drink now through 2039. 92 points

F42B42A7-2888-4A9E-8E99-71C68CDCE51E.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@cunnorl there's been a lot of talk about ship congestion in Florida.  How would you feel about a BHB home porting in Port Canaveral?

Roy

I would sail from there as it is two hours closer by car than FLL. Also I expect that Breeze Airlines will eventually expand enough to fly Richmond to Orlando. Currently they do Richmond - Tampa.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Wow - we are very much alike - I’m in my Birks from April to November too (and yes, you’ll see them on the cruise).

And there is one brand of Sketcher’s Go Walk that fits me perfectly.  Love them 🙂. 👍 

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

For the Garden Club, here are a couple of photos of our King Tut Papyrus plants; they started off about 1.5 feet tall and now are taller than our 6'6" fence.  Definitely will be purchasing them again next year.

Those are really cool.  I never heard of them before.  I don’t think I’ve seen them here but I’m going to have my eye out for next year.  Thanks for sharing & the great pics 👍 

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

@cunnorl there's been a lot of talk about ship congestion in Florida.  How would you feel about a BHB home porting in Port Canaveral?

Roy

Going to add my vote for a NO.  That means more difficult flights for those of us up North that can’t drive to the port.  And a longer travel time to get there.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Sunny and bright here. High will go into the mid-80's. Looks like drier weather is settling in. I turned the sprinkler system back on yesterday. The 20th of Sept it will be turned off completely due to the chance of early freezes!!! Already. I don't generally eat outside just because..... my balconies do not have the best view. I do read outside sometimes with a cool drink beside me. 

I have been to Manta. It was before their big earthquake. Found it interesting and I still have a couple of the little carvings I picked up. I would like to get to that museum. I did manage to resist the urge to buy a Panama hat although I was tempted. 

Dogs and I plan a quiet day at home today. I have a BOD meeting at the shelter tonight which I am not looking forward to. We are about finished with the renovation work (if they get that roof fixed!!!!!) and then I am thinking seriously of stepping down at least from the Presidency of the board and maybe from the Board entirely. I am getting too old for this!!!

Susan

• Like 18

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Another day for today.  August 31 is International Overdose Awareness Day.  Flags in Maryland are supposed to be at half staff for today.

Roy

I heard about this earlier today.  It was suggested that those who die from Fentanyl are not technically overdoses due to the fact one pill can kill you, but they deserve to be remembered too.  Something needs to be done about the massive amounts of Fentanyl crossing our border every day from Mexico.  The two cartels there who are manufacturing it are making millions (billions?) from our open border.  This needs to stop!  People think they're buying another drug but the pills are laced with Fentanyl and it only takes one!   67% of "overdose" deaths are due to Fentanyl.  I've been concerned with these reports for quite some time.  I hope having International Overdose Awareness Day helps to shine a light on this issue.  Thanks for bringing it up, Roy.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

Eating outside is nice sometimes, as long as the bees don't get in my face and food.  Love trail mix.  Dear Dad wrote his memoirs for the family.  He had an interesting life of 101 years starting in a log cabin on a Montana ranch in the middle of nowhere.  

It will be too warm today for the meal, I think we'll have tacos tonight.  Will pass on the drink but the wine sounds good.

We were in Manta in 2015 on the old Statendam.  We went to see where a family made Panama hats (as Sandi said, Manta is the birthplace of Panama Hats, not Panama).  I'll just show a few of the photos from that day, as they're much like Sandi's.

Each family member would work 1.5 hours/day in this family business.  The woman on the far right was 73 years old and started at age 5.

1812548098_makinghats.thumb.jpg.c104821068ba6d92321ff6aab43afc49.jpg

Trimming the hats

trimming.thumb.jpg.409fbb4c46311503f55605a79da1e6d5.jpg

DH did buy one

hats.thumb.jpg.4d670cb92590b1e2ab2e95982290ad0f.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Messy painter checking in!   Another couple hours of work and I'll be done.   I read that a professional painter takes 3-4 days to do a room with prep included.  I'm right on target!   I have learned something from this project.  Spring for the expensive paint.  It is so much easier to work with!  

• Like 21

1 minute ago, dfish said:

Messy painter checking in!   Another couple hours of work and I'll be done.   I read that a professional painter takes 3-4 days to do a room with prep included.  I'm right on target!   I have learned something from this project.  Spring for the expensive paint.  It is so much easier to work with!  

Can I hire you??  

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I eat outside if available, since the pandemic. I like trail mix; I'd like to make my own, but I'm too lazy! I like reading some memoirs. Agree with the quote.

I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Manta. Thanks for the pictures @StLouisCruisers @HAL4NOW @Cruising-along.

It's partly sunny, mid-70's and less humid. I'm sleepy. I took Benadryl about an hour ago, and just took my shot. I was up early to drop a couple of packages at the PO, then on to the lab for blood work. The insurance adjuster came around 11 and did all the inside snooping. He couldn't coordinate with someone to go up on the roof, so he'll come back on Friday. I don't have to be here, but I will be. The water damage person never came, and when I called their number around 3PM, no answer. I need to pick up my new glasses, but don't want to dry while right now due to the sedating antihistamine. Maybe tomorrow - the area I have to go to is always busy, and will only get more so as the holiday approaches.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I think I'd like the soup or the one in tomato broth.

@marshhawk Good going on the sales.

@rafinmd There's been a lot on the news here about Overdose Deaths, as PA has some of the highest numbers, sadly.

@dfish I was looking today at the very high ceilings in the staircase from the 2nd to 3rd floors. No way I could tackle those, even if much younger.

Prayers for the Care List and a Cheer for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmd Roy, 

Thanks for elevating my DSIL on the Care list. We have just learned that the full body PET scan and brain MRI tests to determine how far her melanoma has spread will both be done Sept 13. Since nothing more will be known or decided till mid-Sept, perhaps Ardis should move back to the rotation?

The care and prayer are appreciated,

-Melisa

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4