Nice news for the Crew...

BermudaBound2014

While this isn't specific to just HAL crew, I think some may be pleased to know that at least one port is improving lounge access for crew while in port. Looks like free wifi too. I always feel bad seeing the crew huddled around outside standing in the hot sun (or cold wind) talking on the phone. I'd love to know if more ports already have this for crew (maybe even something a bit more upscale than a container). Seems like there could be a nice win/win here for a start-up.

image.png.c559e528e7b9a1bf60faed383ed8efc5.png

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-royal-caribbean-and-norwegian-crew-get-new-lounge/80266

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Pier 91 in Seattle also has a crew area on the far end of the dock for ship personnel.  It has a small commissary, a 'banking' desk so crew can transfer money home, and an area  where crew can have space to decompress.  Pre-pandemic (2019) there was a very popular food truck that served Filipino food. 

One of the best services offered at the crew tent area are the vans that take crew off site to shop.  It is a charity called Mission to Seafarer's which is supported by area churches.  The vans will take crew to local shopping areas.  Crew usually has to be back on board no later than 2pm, and between 1 pm  and 2pm, there is a big flurry of activity at Pier 91 as the crew out on day passes rush back to the ship with their shopping bags (this year lots from bags from Target).

• Like 5

I’ve often bought mini bottles of toiletries to give to our cabin stewards when we get onboard.  They are very much appreciated.  Like the idea of purchasing the Wi-Fi for them too.  Any crew wish to share items they’d like feel free to share.  You all deserve it!

As I said on the OP's thread on this subject on the NCL forum, many ports have Seamen's Centers that offer shuttle service, lounges, internet, sundries, and services like shuttles to shopping, all at no cost to the mariners.  These services are provided for by non-profits like the Seaman's Church Institute, and have been around for decades.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NonnaGa said:

The crew I’ve spoken to over the years have said they are responsible for their own toiletries and they also appreciate sweets. 😉

good to know. Will carry both on board next time.

Also surprised w/ sweets given all the desserts that probably get wasted, if HAL doesn't let the crew eat it?

42 minutes ago, JesseLivermore said:

good to know. Will carry both on board next time.

Also surprised w/ sweets given all the desserts that probably get wasted, if HAL doesn't let the crew eat it?

When I was at Boston terminal on 8/3 before boarding the Niew Statendam,

a crew member had several big boxes of Dunkin' Donuts that he carried onboard.

I heard that the crew love donuts and that they bought them at Tim Hortons

in Canada also.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

When I was at Boston terminal on 8/3 before boarding the Niew Statendam,

a crew member had several big boxes of Dunkin' Donuts that he carried onboard.

I heard that the crew love donuts and that they bought them at Tim Hortons

in Canada also.

So, tip them money so they can go ashore and buy the food they prefer, the sweets they prefer, and the toiletry brands they prefer, not those you prefer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1