Don’t Get Covid on Princess

memoak

27 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Not being vaccinated is no reason to not have taken a Princess cruise since they resumed.  We have two friends who are not vaccinated and have cruised several times on Princess.  

Thanks for answering because I was just curious because you continually mock those who have hesitations about cruising without strict Covid protocols yet you have not even been on a Princess ship since they resumed.  Wow.

25 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I have not been on any cruise since the restart.  I am waiting until all the protocols are reliably gone.  I would hate to be on a ship and halfway through be told I had to wear a mask.  Until then I will just go on land vacations where none of the protocols are required and haven't been for a long time.

There will never be a case when you can be assured that masks will not be required partway into a cruise. Any large outbreak such as we experienced on the 27th cruise will call for additional protocols   Otherwise they may very well run out of isolation cabins. Dolphin deck was pretty much jammmed with people with fevers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Mikado said:

Uh, not being vaccinated is a pretty good reason according to my TA who told me all along (2 years) that she had NEVER had a single request (by an adult) to cruise unvaccinated approved by ANY cruise line. Of course, that's just her, trying to keep business away from her door.

I would rather cruise with people who don't want the face mask rather than those who demand them for themselves and everyone else on the ship. It has nothing to do with cowardice... as you clearly imply.

I still don't get it: Why don't you stay home until the covid thing is past? You'll be a lot safer there.

You need a new TA.  

7 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

You need a new TA.  

As far as I know, until recently, it was 10% of ALL pax, including kids who were not required to be vaccinated in the first place, who could put in for an exception letter. Then it went to 25%. And while all that was being sorted out, it became what we have today. I'm not sure exactly WHEN we, as the unclean, could have put in like your "two friends". Of course, we won't travel to the east coast until we've run out of places to go out west so we'll probably hit your neck of the woods around April next or thereabouts. In case you want to leave.

Anyway, I don't want to wear a mask and you do and make everyone else do the same. And never the twain shall meet.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2022 at 5:53 AM, Daniel A said:

I have a thought and I'd like some other's opinions on this.  Setting aside the issues of non-compliance with mask wearing and handwashing etc...  I understand that viruses tend to have increased spread during cold/winter weather.  DW & I took a Caribbean Cruise in January, and we won't be setting foot on another ship until February of next year to sail to the S. Pacific.  The Alaska cruise and New England and Canada cruise we took before Covid were both cold weather sailings where the upper outdoor decks were devoid of passengers due to the cold weather.  This caused more and more people to be indoors during the length of the cruise.  It just seems to me that it may also be that cold weather/winter weather cruises may be more conducive to Covid spread as opposed to warm/hot weather cruises.  Any thoughts on this?

This is why I book a mini suite, more room in cabin, enjoy cabin more and can easily avoid crowds on sea days. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keksie said:

I have not been on any cruise since the restart.  I am waiting until all the protocols are reliably gone.  I would hate to be on a ship and halfway through be told I had to wear a mask.  Until then I will just go on land vacations where none of the protocols are required and haven't been for a long time.

From my experience (in the Caribbean), Princess protocols are not that restrictive at all, even if mandatory. Some people follow them to the letter while most modify them to fit their own beliefs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Mikado said:

As far as I know, until recently, it was 10% of ALL pax, including kids who were not required to be vaccinated in the first place, who could put in for an exception letter. Then it went to 25%. And while all that was being sorted out, it became what we have today. I'm not sure exactly WHEN we, as the unclean, could have put in like your "two friends". Of course, we won't travel to the east coast until we've run out of places to go out west so we'll probably hit your neck of the woods around April next or thereabouts. In case you want to leave.

Anyway, I don't want to wear a mask and you do and make everyone else do the same. And never the twain shall meet.

Any Alaska cruise that departs, stops, or arrives in Canada would require the vaccination to cross border. Even with that, it appears that the Whittier departure a few weeks ago was very problematical.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keksie said:

Me too, and I hope if they institute that ineffective measure before sail date , they let me cancel penalty free.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

From my experience (in the Caribbean), Princess protocols are not that restrictive at all, even if mandatory. Some people follow them to the letter while most modify them to fit their own beliefs. 

I just don't want to get in a situation where they start enforcing mask wearing and I can't leave.  On land we could just go somewhere else or in a pinch come back home.  I research carefully where we travel to make sure that the protocols we are against are not in place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keksie said:

I just don't want to get in a situation where they start enforcing mask wearing and I can't leave.  On land we could just go somewhere else or in a pinch come back home.  I research carefully where we travel to make sure that the protocols we are against are not in place.

That is exactly what we did.  I completely gave up cruising when all this started and  planned road trips instead.  Thank you Princess for getting me back to cruising. I am booked on a Mexico cruise in January.

We would prefer Alaska next year, and hope that  Canada gets up to speed by next summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

That is exactly what we did.  I completely gave up cruising when all this started and  planned road trips instead.  Thank you Princess for getting me back to cruising. I am booked on a Mexico cruise in January.

We would prefer Alaska next year, and hope that  Canada gets up to speed by next summer.

It DOES speed, except it slow but steady speeds in the opposite direction.

• Like 1

Any thoughts as to the room steward that cleans your room daily? It seems like a few folks here that are diligent mask wearers outside their room test positive later on in their cruise. Inside your room, people understandably let their guard down (like not washing your hands that often, using hands to eat); thoughts on whether is it possible that if the room steward is infected he/she may actually introduce the virus on some surfaces? 

36 minutes ago, bobloblaw007 said:

Any thoughts as to the room steward that cleans your room daily? It seems like a few folks here that are diligent mask wearers outside their room test positive later on in their cruise. Inside your room, people understandably let their guard down (like not washing your hands that often, using hands to eat); thoughts on whether is it possible that if the room steward is infected he/she may actually introduce the virus on some surfaces? 

Of course anything is possible.  This is primarily transmitted thru airborne particles.  

Crew wear kn95 masks at all times. They are required to immediately report any illness. They can not get away with just not telling Princess they are sick. 

I am more concerned with infecting my steward than visa versa as I do not mask in my room. If I’m asymptotic my viral load is all over my room. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bobloblaw007 said:

thoughts on whether is it possible that if the room steward is infected he/she may actually introduce the virus on some surfaces? 

Virtually impossible to get Covid via surface transmission,  as has been known for some considerable time.

Even the diligent mask wearers have to eat and drink, which is where they most likely contracted Covid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Virtually impossible to get Covid via surface transmission,  as has been known for some considerable time.

Even the diligent mask wearers have to eat and drink, which is where they most likely contracted Covid. 

I agree with this, as our other component to masking onboard, is to eat Outside on deck,

or in our cabin.  We also get Room Service Delivery, but we take tray at the door.

They do Not come in.

Past few cruises weve eaten in Crown Grill or MDR for dinner Day 1 & 2, then we stop going there.

I luv IC so we grab & go often, eat in our cabin usually, or order from Grill on deck, etc.

When we First day arrive to our cabin, we wear our mask inside our cabin, & Open balcony door to Air it out.

Then Clorox wipe surfaces, door handles, etc. all the while wearing our mask.

When its clean & Aired out?  We unmask inside.

We also  Air out our cabin Daily, after steward does his thing.

(we don't book any inside cabins anymore)

Knock on wood, works for us. 

We leave for Alaska again tomorrow.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 2

Understatement of the world…. Don’t go on Princess at all!!!! They are a hot mess with Covid.  I could tell you our tale but too long- suffice to say, I’m very laid back experienced traveler. And never in 30 years of traveling, had worse customer care experience than with Princess. Was ridulous.

They should be on hold u til Covid is in rear view mirror becusre they seem to be managing the situation so poorly. Don’t travel Princess- I’m really serious with that admonitionment. It’s a gamble with your money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobloblaw007 said:

Our cabin steward tested positive the day after my husband did. It’s possible he had it first and simply was tested later,  but who knows. Several cabins around us also had positive COVID cases.  Our steward was particularly worried because.it was the last cruise of his contact and he was flying home to India, but he caught it early enough in the cruise that he was probably ok to travel 11 days after he tested positive.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beachandcity said:

Understatement of the world…. Don’t go on Princess at all!!!! They are a hot mess with Covid.  I could tell you our tale but too long- suffice to say, I’m very laid back experienced traveler. And never in 30 years of traveling, had worse customer care experience than with Princess. Was ridulous.

They should be on hold u til Covid is in rear view mirror becusre they seem to be managing the situation so poorly. Don’t travel Princess- I’m really serious with that admonitionment. It’s a gamble with your money.

My brother and his spouse have been on two Princess Cruises (Dec 12/21 and 2/22) and a Celebrity Cruise in March.  She got covid on Celebrity - and while they didn't report it, they did self-test and she remained in her cabin for the final 3 or 4 days of her cruise - my brother brought her meals from the buffet.  However the cabins on either side of them got awfully quiet after hearing a lot of coughing and sneezing and when they asked their steward where the passengers went - were told they had Covid and were placed elsewhere.  To my knowledge on that ship it was into interior lower deck cabins without balconies or perhaps porthole staterooms.   My brother's impression was that most of the ship was sick.

So Covid is everywhere - and while we all focus on Princess as we should on this board - the other lines are dealing with the same issues.  Not necessarily handling it any better.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Of course anything is possible.  This is primarily transmitted thru airborne particles.  

Crew wear kn95 masks at all times. They are required to immediately report any illness. They can not get away with just not telling Princess they are sick. 

I am more concerned with infecting my steward than visa versa as I do not mask in my room. If I’m asymptotic my viral load is all over my room. 

Except the staff don’t always wear the mask properly. On our recent Caribbean Princess cruise, we saw lots of staff wearing their masks on their chins. Our room steward nearly always had his mask on his chin. He was very friendly and chatty, and we had a number of conversations with him. We did notice throughout the 10 days, quite a few cabins in our hallway were vacated. We returned home and then came down with symptoms, tested positive with Covid. I wondered whether all those empty cabins’ passengers, who were moved to the quarantine deck, (and us) caught it from our room steward, who may have been asymptomatic. Staff seemed very relaxed with their masking.

Edited by sp2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sp2 said:

Except the staff don’t always wear the mask properly. On our recent Caribbean Princess cruise, we saw lots of staff wearing their masks on their chins. Our room steward nearly always had his mask on his chin. He was very friendly and chatty, and we had a number of conversations with him. We did notice throughout the 10 days, quite a few cabins in our hallway were vacated. We returned home and then came down with symptoms, tested positive with Covid. I wondered whether all those empty cabins’ passengers, who were moved to the quarantine deck, (and us) caught it from our room steward, who may have been asymptomatic. Staff seemed very relaxed with their masking.

Interesting.  Our experience was that ALL crew wore masks and wore them correctly.  Most wore kn 95 or n95 versions.  we have been on mostly west coast sailings on Grand, Royal, and Discovery.  It was primarily passengers, many who post here about "always" wearing a mask, who wore them improperly, or on their chin/neck.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Interesting.  Our experience was that ALL crew wore masks and wore them correctly.  Most wore kn 95 or n95 versions.  we have been on mostly west coast sailings on Grand, Royal, and Discovery.  It was primarily passengers, many who post here about "always" wearing a mask, who wore them improperly, or on their chin/neck.

Our experience was the same on the cruises we have done this year and a TA. All staff wore masks and never saw them below their chin or worn inappropriately.  I am sure they would have been reprimanded/ terminated if they created a health risks for other cruise members.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I agree with this, as our other component to masking onboard, is to eat Outside on deck,

or in our cabin.  We also get Room Service Delivery, but we take tray at the door.

They do Not come in.

Past few cruises weve eaten in Crown Grill or MDR for dinner Day 1 & 2, then we stop going there.

I luv IC so we grab & go often, eat in our cabin usually, or order from Grill on deck, etc.

When we First day arrive to our cabin, we wear our mask inside our cabin, & Open balcony door to Air it out.

Then Clorox wipe surfaces, door handles, etc. all the while wearing our mask.

When its clean & Aired out?  We unmask inside.

We also  Air out our cabin Daily, after steward does his thing.

(we don't book any inside cabins anymore)

Knock on wood, works for us. 

We leave for Alaska again tomorrow.

We did 2 cruises last fall and did not eat in the MDR as there was no spacing since they closed other dining rooms and the tables were so close with everyone unmasked.  We ate outside or in our cabin.  I am wondering how many people who never ate in the MDR came down with Covid.  I am also convinced the dining rooms are a huge part of the problem.  Great idea to bring bleach wipes!  No more interior rooms, airflow is so important.  Enjoy Alaska!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Oh well. Do you do the same for passengers who don't wear them properly or at all for than matter? 

I didn't realize that there were mask police.

Absolutely not. I could not care less about what other passengers do or don’t do. Other passengers don’t come into my stateroom, don’t lean over me to serve me and so on. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1