Weather between Los Angeles and Hawaii?

ChiBearsSuperFan

Frequently discussed here and on the Hawaii board. It will be cooler ( like, mid 50s) as you depart the West Coast,  and the seas might be a bit rougher. It will get warmer and smoother as you approach Hawaii. Reverse the situation sailing back to the West Coast. 

31 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Frequently discussed here and on the Hawaii board. It will be cooler ( like, mid 50s) as you depart the West Coast,  and the seas might be a bit rougher. It will get warmer and smoother as you approach Hawaii. Reverse the situation sailing back to the West Coast. 

Agree, we did the round trip back in March. The weather was nice, cool on deck and had rough seas both ways.

I've made this trip more times than I can count and I've never had terrible weather the entire trip. I don't discount the experience of the AtSea's friend, but that would be a huge anomaly, not the norm.

The norm is moderate weather when you are close to CA, warmer and warmer the closer you get to HI.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the 15-day LA-HI-LA cruise on Princess in December about 20 years ago.  Horrific weather the first five days.  There were several WWII sailors on board going to Pearl Harbor, and they said they had never been in worse weather on the sea.

Communications were not as sophisticated then, i.e., no internet available and I don't believe there was cellular.  Ship personnel gave us NO info.  When we arrived home, our pastor commented that we must have had a rocky ride.  He was a surfer and kept up with the sea info.  The ship was where three big storms converged, one from Alaska, one from Japan, and one from Australia, IIRC.

Anyhow, it was bad, but we'd do it again.  The storm situation was an anomaly.

Besides potential rough seas, check your Hawaii area destination seasonal weather temps & rainfall for month. My parents once sailed mid March and entire week around islands it rained,cold,wind. Said even skipped some stops as island flooded. Not sunny paradise for them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 12:39 AM, Elsa Maki said:

Sorry to intervene to this but how about weather from LA to Hawaii in summer months please? Specially during July.

I've done the LA to HI 5 times now in the last15 years and never had bad weather. We did have rocky seas for two days once, but that was it.

In Summer I'd expect it to be in the low 70s the first day or two and same on the way back. Once you drop below about 30 degrees N latitude, things warm up considerably.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

In Summer I'd expect it to be in the low 70s the first day or two and same on the way back. Once you drop below about 30 degrees N latitude, things warm up considerably.

And if you go to 23 degrees the sea warms up and one of the many factors in a TRS vormation is that it starts within 23N and 23S.

As an aside, I have crossed the Pacific many times and the worst weather I experienced was in lower latitudes.

Monitor the forecasts and weather patterns and then look outside ...

Marine weather has a mind of its own😁

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2022 at 12:39 AM, Elsa Maki said:

Sorry to intervene to this but how about weather from LA to Hawaii in summer months please? Specially during July.

Do they do cruises to Hawaii from LA in July?

If they do, I'd expect it to be warm at the start and end and hot in the middle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have done Hawaii two times. First time was in May and the weather was chilly, not cold, sunshine and  not to rough all 5 crossing days.The second was a year ago March, sailed to and from Hawaii. The crossing both ways  was sunny but cooler in the daytime but real cold in the early evening, Really rough crossing both ways all day and night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeanie said:

We are cruising on the Emerald Princess to Hawaii August 5, 2023...Just wondering what the weather is like. the five days cruising to Hawaii...

I wasn't aware there were LA round trips to Hawaii in Summer.

We've done LA-Hawaii RT 5 times now, but it has been Nov, Oct, Feb & March. Given that LA can be hot in July and August I'd expect the weather to be a little different than what we experience.

Generally it is cool the first two days at sea and the last two days at sea. Cool doesn't mean cold. Those cooler night I'd wear a sweatshirt to watch MUTS at night, but during the day there were plenty of people lounging by the pool and swimming and laying out just sunning in general. There was only one sea day our last trip (Oct 2022) where I don't lie by the pool because it was "misty"; not quite raining, but if you'd been out more than 5 minutes you would have been quite wet.

The closer to Hawaii you get to Hawaii you get, the warmer it gets. When you are actually in the islands, it is hot.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...