Harmony passenger killed by shark

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Putting them on the island isn't stupid, it is both greedy and animal cruelty. The people that perpetuate this greedy behavior by paying for it are the ignorant ones.

This is a spot on comment and this is true for all of the cruel animal “tours” common in the islands.  If only more people would think about it.  

Dolphins and now even sloths are living a horrible life in captivity and people want to take pictures with them “smiling” for the camera?   Are people so ignorant that they think these animals are smiling like humans?   News flash.  They aren’t.  The sloths are scared to death while you are holding them.  The dolphins.  My goodness it is sad just to look at them.  How could anyone not feel horrible supporting such a business.  

Anyone who pays for any of these animal experiences is contributing to the cruelty.   It boggles my mind these still exist let alone new animals are found to exploit.  But then I look around at a random crowd of people and realize most folks seemingly lack any caring or sense about pretty much everything.  

Im trying to get more positive on the topic, but it never works.   

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, topnole said:

This is a spot on comment and this is true for all of the cruel animal “tours” common in the islands.  If only more people would think about it.  

Dolphins and now even sloths are living a horrible life in captivity and people want to take pictures with them “smiling” for the camera?   Are people so ignorant that they think these animals are smiling like humans?   News flash.  They aren’t.  The sloths are scared to death while you are holding them.  The dolphins.  My goodness it is sad just to look at them.  How could anyone not feel horrible supporting such a business.  

Anyone who pays for any of these animal experiences is contributing to the cruelty.   It boggles my mind these still exist let alone new animals are found to exploit.  But then I look around at a random crowd of people and realize most folks seemingly lack any caring or sense about pretty much everything.  

And, the baby monkeys on St. Kitts that are used for photo ops.  They are babies, taken from their mothers for hours per day long before they should be separated at all.  I've always thought the swimming with the pigs was ridiculous.  There have also been people bitten by the pigs.    And, there have been reports of people catching infections from the monkeys.  Pretty sure it was Trainman (RIP) who reported catching something from one several years ago.  

• Like 8

Swimming with pigs is ridiculous. Obviously, the pigs waste will go in the water where people are swimming with them. Certainly,that cannot be pleasant.

Whoever thought of this “experience” is focused on the revenue produced from such an excursion and not the health and well being of neither the pigs or the people ignorant of possible subsequent health issues  to the participants. IMHO.

MJ🙋🏻

Edited by MJSailors
Added a word
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, BND said:

And, the baby monkeys on St. Kitts that are used for photo ops.  They are babies, taken from their mothers for hours per day long before they should be separated at all.  I've always thought the swimming with the pigs was ridiculous.  There have also been people bitten by the pigs.    And, there have been reports of people catching infections from the monkeys.  Pretty sure it was Trainman (RIP) who reported catching something from one several years ago.  

Was trainman a CC regular?   I don’t recall.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topnole said:

Just FYI, not all sloths are living a horrible life in captivity. 

And if they're procreating naturally (not artificially inseminated), they're unlikely to be horribly stressed.

Not all places are built/run the same. 

On 9/7/2022 at 10:46 PM, steamboats said:

Be aware that these are not the real "swimming pigs" anyway. They keep them and let them out for the tour and guide them into the water with some food. The real ones are on an uninhabitated island close to Exuma.

steamboats

Good to know. Exuma is where I’ve dreamed of going.

19 hours ago, BND said:

99D10829-0C10-413F-874E-960891E9D1BD.png

DD86BBFC-B818-4C2A-BC7C-7EFE00E4968F.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Brings back Memories. On this Cruise with Trainman were I met him, was also was my first St Kitts visit where saw the Monkey's my self and said Nope!

I remembered this post when it was mentioned yesterday, but did not look for it.  Early this morning, I wanted to check on Mitsugirly’s latest land trip and googled “Mitsugirly”.  I clicked on one of the first links randomly, and found myself  in the middle of a 58-page thread of her cruise to St. Kitts in 2016.  It was a bit eerie to see Trainman a few pages later, posted by a reader.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I remembered this post when it was mentioned yesterday, but did not look for it.  Early this morning, I wanted to check on Mitsugirly’s latest land trip and googled “Mitsugirly”.  I clicked on one of the first links randomly, and found myself  in the middle of a 58-page thread of her cruise to St. Kitts in 2016.  It was a bit eerie to see Trainman a few pages later, posted by a reader.

I was going to ask how you found it.  I'm just glad my memory is good enough to remember reading it when it was originally posted so I could post what I remembered yesterday.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, brillohead said:

Just FYI, not all sloths are living a horrible life in captivity. 

And if they're procreating naturally (not artificially inseminated), they're unlikely to be horribly stressed.

Not all places are built/run the same. 

I seriously doubt there are any places charging folks to hold sloths where they aren’t being treated in a cruel way.  I’m sure the “conservation” business profiting off of those animals would tell you otherwise, but you have to consider conflict of interest and then toss out that source of information.  

My read of independent sources with expert knowledge on these sloths suggests the opposite of what you are saying.  Regardless, even if some sources disagree and say it isn’t cruel, how is it right to exploit an animal like that?   There is zero excuse for such an abhorrent business.   And the excuses of it being needed to fund “the sanctuary” is total nonsense.  No need to have these animals held by tons of folks daily.  What a joke.  Just disgusting human behavior IMO.  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 1:58 PM, livingonthebeach said:

It was reported that another American was killed by a shark attack three years earlier in around the same spot. So sad.

Someone at work said Sharkweek tv show was saying the Bahamas have more shark attacks than any other Caribbean Islands.   I, also, read this same area had a death in 2019, 2020 and now 2022.  I Definitely will rethink snorkeling in the Bahamas.

As for the monkeys in St Kitts, I find that very cruel and would never interact due to diseases and the fact that this is cruel to them.

Swimming with pigs is ridiculous and expensive too!   Never understood that!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Someone at work said Sharkweek tv show was saying the Bahamas have more shark attacks than any other Caribbean Islands.   I, also, read this same area had a death in 2019, 2020 and now 2022.  I Definitely will rethink snorkeling in the Bahamas.

As for the monkeys in St Kitts, I find that very cruel and would never interact due to diseases and the fact that this is cruel to them.

Swimming with pigs is ridiculous and expensive too!   Never understood that!!

There is a bigger chance of a shark bite off a Florida beach than in the Bahamas.

And in the case of bull sharks, they are can be found in fresh water  (come up river to breed and feed).

We are constantly warning people swimming in the Homosassa River by the state park that there may be bull sharks, alligators and cottonmouths present. Most think we are joking as they put out the snack offerings of dogs and small children.

What type of sharks are around should determine if you swim with them.

Hammerheads, Reefs and Lemons... not nearly as much of a risk.  

Giant Hammerheads, Bulls or Tigers?  No way I'm getting in the water. 

Edited by Lane Hog