Harmony passenger killed by shark

Watching our late local news in the Orlando area and this story came up right at the top of the news.

https://www.wesh.com/article/woman-killed-by-shark-port-canaveral-cruise/41098171

Unfortunately, not a lot of details here, but I’m sure we’ll be hearing more about it. Condolences to the woman and her family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It certainly is. This is coming from someone who has done many dives where sharks were present, including bull sharks. My experiences have always been totally different from what happened to that poor woman who died, and to her family who witnessed the attack. I have never once felt unsafe, but sharks are wild animals and as such are unpredictable.

As much as I think sharks are absolutely beautiful animals and I have loved the many chances I’ve had to share the ocean with them, my heart grieves  ❤️🩹 for the deceased woman, her friends and family, and the others on the excursion who witnessed the attack. Absolutely no assigning of blame to anyone involved in this horrific incident, just my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected.

• Like 18

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Very sad and worrisome. We snorkel in the Bahamas all the time. RCCL was quick to point out that this was a private tour and not a ship’s shore excursion. 

I understand Royal stating that for liability purposes, but the reality is, all the excursion providers are locals.  The ones Royal uses just happen to be the ones they contracted with and most also offer independent excursions.   There are a couple of YTers on this cruise (La Lido Loca-Tony and Jenny, and Griff and Alyssa and at least one more) so we may hear something from them.  I always wonder when we hear of something happening if it's a CC member.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

We were at CocoCay last week. My daughter-in-law and granddaughter were snorkeling at CocoCay and said they saw a shark. This was at chill Island.

We have seen sharks swimming around and under the pier at Coco Cay on numerous occasions.

• Like 1

There is a YT video by Beluga Whale Alli Alli.  Information is being given by a Bahamian official (woman, 58 years old, part of a family group of 5-7, bitten in upper extremities).  It does show EMTs performing CPR  but not the victim, if you prefer to skip this one.

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The woman must have (very innocently and most certainly not intentionally) been doing something while swimming that set off the shark. Shark's don't just randomly attack.

Talk about wrong place, wrong time.

Sharks absolutely randomly attack.

Thats what sharks do, their dumb, they see a potential food source, they attack…and unfortunately a bull shark can do alot of damage...very sad and unfortunate, my condolences to that poor family.

Edited by Motor City
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The woman must have (very innocently and most certainly not intentionally) been doing something while swimming that set off the shark. Shark's don't just randomly attack.

Do you live on the coast? Every summer shark attacks are common to hear about on the news here. https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/timeline-shark-attacks-sightings-in-new-york-new-jersey 

• Like 1

Very tragic. The ocean is a shark's grocery store and, as such, we are potential targets. They don't have hands to grab stuff and feel if it's food, so their teeth do the work. Most attacks are investigatory bites (at least, purportedly, for Great Whites). The bull shark is unrelenting and will return again and again. Again, very tragic.

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You don't know what you are talking about.  Sharks most certainly do randomly attack. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The Bahamas has a myriad of shark species, but the most dangerous are the tiger and bull sharks. If you see any of those RUN....or SPEED SWIM!!  IIRC, shark attacks in the Bahamas average around 4 or 5 per year and most of them are unprovoked. 

Do not speed swim.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/shark-attack-how-to-survive/index.html

Edited by BobNoxious

6 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

If it's up close and personal, then yes, do not speed swim as a shark can out swim you -- however if you see it in the distance -- run for cover. 

1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

We were at CocoCay last week. My daughter-in-law and granddaughter were snorkeling at CocoCay and said they saw a shark. This was at chill Island.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

We have seen sharks swimming around and under the pier at Coco Cay on numerous occasions.

I was all the way at the end of CoCoCay years ago in the quieter section before all the additions of the water park....laying in a beach chair that I had placed in the water and had a small 2-3' shark swim right under the chair as I was laying in it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I was all the way at the end of CoCoCay years ago in the quieter section before all the additions of the water park....laying in a beach chair that I had placed in the water and had a small 2-3' shark swim right under the chair as I was laying in it.

Lots of lemon sharks in that area.  I was out in the water about waist high when a few swam by about 20 yards away.  I made my way to shore very quickly. 🙂 

• Like 3