Mixed drinks

Aquaticdreams

We’ll be sailing on the Equinox in January on a southern Caribbean cruise. We plan on bringing the four bottles of wine on board that they allow (2 each). Do you know if you can bring premade mixed drinks like margaritas that come in the wine size bottles? Has anyone done that? We wanted to bring a combination of that sort of thing and champagne to enjoy in the room as we’re not big wine drinkers. 

This is what Celebrity posts right now about bringing alcohol onboard:

Guests are only permitted to bring alcohol onboard under the following circumstances

1.) Embarkation day when each guest is permitted to bring onboard with them up to two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee) per guest. A corkage fee does not apply to guests with the Classic Beverage Package or Premium Beverage Package. Security may inspect containers (including water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, canteens, etc.) at any time and will dispose of alcohol concealed in such container.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/before-you-board

That said, we recently experienced a wonderful excursion in Ireland of the Jameson whiskey distillery, where we bought a special-edition bottle of the stuff. I fully expected the ship to confiscate/store it when we re-boarded but -- despite running my bottle-bearing-bag through the security scanner -- we just passed through and I stored the bottle in our cabin for the rest of the trip.

Bottom line: Not sure what happened in my case but perhaps you can take your chances?

cjr

1 hour ago, CNSfromHI said:

That said, we recently experienced a wonderful excursion in Ireland of the Jameson whiskey distillery, where we bought a special-edition bottle of the stuff. I fully expected the ship to confiscate/store it when we re-boarded but -- despite running my bottle-bearing-bag through the security scanner -- we just passed through and I stored the bottle in our cabin for the rest of the trip.

I think what happens at ports of call has to be distinguished from embarkation day.  I have often bought a bottle of wine or hard alcohol during days ashore and most times (but not all), I've been directed over to a desk to have it checked/held until the end of the cruise.  This is the same as bottles you buy in the duty free shop on board.  You get them delivered the day before departure.   But yes, there have been times that the bottle gets missed and I've just left it in my cabin.

The 2 bottles of wine per cruiser is only at embarkation as far as I am aware.  I think I have heard of people being permitted fortified wines however, for example,  i believe i read about someone carrying on a favored Vermouth to go along with a bar setup in a suite.  Also, I think it is highly recommended,  if not required,  that you carry it on as opposed to putting it in your checked luggage.   Otherwise, I don't know how they could control it.

If someone did try to carry (or sneak) hard alcohol on on embarkation,  I don't know how Celebrity would handle it.  Would it be confiscated or just held until the end of the cruise. If it were an unopened bottle that someone carried on thinking it would be allowed, I suspect (or hope) it would get held like above.  On the other hand, if it were a sneak situation in a water bottle or mouthwash, etc. I suspect it would be confiscated. 

Edited by capecodmercury

1 minute ago, capecodmercury said:

I think what happens at ports of call has to be distinguished from embarkation day.  I have often bought a bottle of wine or hard alcohol during days ashore and most times (but not all), I've been directed over to a desk to have it checked/held until the end of the cruise.  This is the same as bottles you buy in the duty free shop on board.  You get them delivered the day before departure.   But yes, there have been times that the bottle gets missed and I've just left it in my cabin...

I guess we were just lucky, then, and somehow our bottle of Jamison's was missed as we re-boarded! Like I said, we bought it to carry home and never planned to open it onboard, so whether it was in our stateroom or locked up wouldn't have mattered in the end.

Ironically, I also purchased an 8-ounce hip flask from the Jamison distillery that day. It's a lovely silver thing bearing their logo, and it's housed inside of a nice metal "box" with a removable lid.

Obviously, the flask is empty and I decided to pack it in my carry-on (backpack). Heathrow security did NOT like the flask's silhouette when it passed through the scanner, and my bag was chosen for a firsthand check, unfortunately. Never even occurred to me that this might happen.

cjr

• Like 1

If the scanner shows a possible banned item in your luggage it will be sent to the "naughty room" and not delivered to your cabin.  You will have to go and open the luggage for inspection and items not allowed on board will be confiscated and held until the end of the cruise at which time you can collect them.

Edited by jelayne
typo

14 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

I guess we were just lucky, then, and somehow our bottle of Jamison's was missed as we re-boarded! Like I said, we bought it to carry home and never planned to open it onboard, so whether it was in our stateroom or locked up wouldn't have mattered in the end.

Ironically, I also purchased an 8-ounce hip flask from the Jamison distillery that day. It's a lovely silver thing bearing their logo, and it's housed inside of a nice metal "box" with a removable lid.

Obviously, the flask is empty and I decided to pack it in my carry-on (backpack). Heathrow security did NOT like the flask's silhouette when it passed through the scanner, and my bag was chosen for a firsthand check, unfortunately. Never even occurred to me that this might happen.

cjr

Yes, they are quite strict at Heathrow. I didn't take my Kindle Fire out of my back pack and that was a no-no. It had been no problem in the States so when I took out my laptop, I just didn't bother to remove the Fire. I hadn't noticed any signage but I was exhausted so I likely missed it...  

1 minute ago, dlh015 said:

Yes, they are quite strict at Heathrow. I didn't take my Kindle Fire out of my back pack and that was a no-no. It had been no problem in the States so when I took out my laptop, I just didn't bother to remove the Fire. I hadn't noticed any signage but I was exhausted so I likely missed it...  

I had my iPad Mini in my backpack, too, and didn't remove it, but it was only the flask that flagged my backpack. Doesn't matter if I understand all of the nuances, ultimately; I'm just glad they do it for the sake of security.

cjr

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, capecodmercury said:

The 2 bottles of wine per cruiser is only at embarkation as far as I am aware.  I think I have heard of people being permitted fortified wines however, for example,  i believe i read about someone carrying on a favored Vermouth to go along with a bar setup in a suite.  Also, I think it is highly recommended,  if not required,  that you carry it on as opposed to putting it in your checked luggage.   Otherwise, I don't know how they could control it.

Vermouth is wine

Before the beverage packages I would carry a walking stick that is actually a flask. that was fill it up with liquor.    It held close to a fifth    Also had a pair of binoculars that were a flask.   Carried that filled with liquor.  

Many would use rum runners 

With the bev pack It is worth doing.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 9/16/2022 at 4:09 PM, miched said:

Before the beverage packages I would carry a walking stick that is actually a flask. that was fill it up with liquor.    It held close to a fifth    Also had a pair of binoculars that were a flask.   Carried that filled with liquor.  

Many would use rum runners 

With the bev pack It is worth doing.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

If you have a beverage package why is it worth doing?