Westerdam - Alaska - Tux?

rbelshaw

I can, but should I?  I am admittedly an eccentric old relic, but would not be the comfortable if I were the only one in black tie. I understand that Alaska is an informal destination, but I look smashing in full gentleman's  regalia.

So, your best estimate of what percentage of those identifying-as-male don the tux on those nights formerly known as "formal" would be appreciated.

Above is not intended to re-ignite the tiresome dress code jihad. Please, just the facts, ma'am.

Thanks-

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rbelshaw said:

I can, but should I?  I am admittedly an eccentric old relic, but would not be the comfortable if I were the only one in black tie. I understand that Alaska is an informal destination, but I look smashing in full gentleman's  regalia.

I would guess 1% (i.e. just you). 

My DH, dr'spin, wears either a "Granpa" cardigan over a white-ish shirt (Alaska) or a guayabera Mexican wedding shirt (warmer areas) with dark cargo pants, which I pick out for him at the start of the day because he loathes changing clothes. 

Also, belated Welcome to Cruise Critic on your second post since April! 

Interestingly enough, there were a number of men sporting tuxes on last week’s Alaska cruise.  It was dressier than I thought it would be for Alaska.  To offset that, the percentage of men in t-shirts and jeans was about the same.  I would say 80% of passengers dressed business casual for dinner.

• Like 3

Thanks for all your replies. I may pack it, so it's available should the whimsy overtake me.   I am thinking of establishing a fraternity, perhaps "The Order of the Cumberbund" to encourage the preservation of black tie (optional) events, in which the members swear an oath to don the tux whenever the opportunity presents itself.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, rbelshaw said:

I am thinking of establishing a fraternity, perhaps "The Order of the Cumberbund" to encourage the preservation of black tie (optional) events, in which the members swear an oath to don the tux whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I think Pete @The-Inside-Cabin has already instituted something like that.  I forget now what he calls it but he's been doing it for quite a while now on his cruises.

1 hour ago, AV8rix said:

I think Pete @The-Inside-Cabin has already instituted something like that.  I forget now what he calls it but he's been doing it for quite a while now on his cruises.

@The-Inside-Cabinhas a meeting place on ship for guests who enjoy wearing Tuxes. He refers to it as “Tuxedo Junction”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rbelshaw said:

Wear the tux if you can, it makes the room better for everyone! Depending on what we pack, I'll always dress up in the dining rooms as it makes it special for us, and it classes up the joint a bit. I don't normally bring a tux, but I'm thinking of it for our next longer cruises.

• Like 3

We were on the Eurodam for B2B 7-day Alaska cruises in August, and I noted that now instead of staying the (formal) nights are "gala" dress as they've been doing for quite a few years now, they are saying "dressy".  Maybe you can urge them along with your snappy look! 

We were on the Westerdam for the September 11-18 Alaska cruise. Hubby wore his tux and I wore a floor-length gown for both "dressy" nights of the cruise. Pretty sure we were the only ones out of ~1500 passengers, but we love to dress up for our own pleasure so weren't really trying to spot if any others were similarly attired. Got quite a few compliments from both fellow passengers and crew members both nights.

If it makes you happy, wear your tux!

• Like 6

Thanks again to all who responded. I'll pack it.  If I wear it, I am sure I'll regret having the 2.5 year Covid ponytail chopped off last week. That would have completed the look.

I am assuming this Sunday's sail date provides too short a notice to convene a quorum for Tuxedo Junction. Pity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rbelshaw said:

Thanks again to all who responded. I'll pack it.  If I wear it, I am sure I'll regret having the 2.5 year Covid ponytail chopped off last week. That would have completed the look.

I am assuming this Sunday's sail date provides too short a notice to convene a quorum for Tuxedo Junction. Pity.

Post your intentions on your roll call!