Vantage Deluxe World Travel - WARNING

HumbleTraveler

13 minutes ago, Lexie31 said:

So if the company is sold, is the new owner liable for the debts (us), or are we all left in the dust? Paying all of us should be the first priority.

Neither article mentions this sensitive issue.  The way it is worded, it sounds to me like the new owner would not be taking on the existing debts [much like what happened with Crystal].  Whether the old company has the money to repay these debts may depend on how much they get from the new owner.  [And, like with Crystal, the new owner may decide to offer some discounts as a voluntary sweetener to entice the old customers to stay with the new company – all of which assumes there will be a new owner...]

I just don't see who would pay good money to buy Vantage. Unless I misunderstand the situation, they don't own any of the ships---they just lease or charter them. So what are their tangible assets---office furniture and phones? A prospective buyer would be looking at the so-called goodwill: the name, reputation, customer list, etc. Given the current state of affairs, that can't be of much value.

I hate to be a pessimist, and fortunately I'm not among the potential creditors, but this does not look promising. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So the question for you is:  was Vantage the ideal cruise line for you against the competition?  If a new company comes back with the same ships [those expedition ships are brand new and leading-edge designs], similar itineraries and similar pricing – can you find a better alternative?  If not, why 'cut your nose off to spite your face'?

First, I can't believe Vantage is still able to sell cruises.  That is awful. I'm not sure what value they could offer a new owner, their name has minimal good will.  Our November 2022 sailing had a large number of repeat customers saying never again, they were only on this cruise to use up a credit.  We were the lucky ones, and had a great time.

Kinda to your question, Yes, Vantage was ideal.  You asked before why people choose Vantage over other lines, and speculated that maybe people stayed with the first line they sailed on.  We sailed Viking once, then three times with Vantage.

We liked Vantage in that their cruises were typically longer; 9 nights versus 7 for Tulip cruise, Basel-Ams was 14 nights, with 4 nights on the Mosele, Christmas cruise of 8 nights versus 7.  The $ jump from aquarium to French Balcony was half of other lines.  They had a second dining venue similar to the Aquavit lounge we liked so much on our first Viking cruise.  About 18 fewer passengers than VIking on the same sized ship.  E-bikes whenever you want to use them (Viking is charging $120 for a 3.5 hour optional bike tour on the Ams-Bud cruise).  Lastly, the level of service we want, which is pretty basic.  We're not fancy people.

I think the tours are pretty similar, some lines are better for the number of options offered.  We set out on our own sometimes, so included tours aren't a huge factor.

I would cruise on a line that hit those marks, without Pullman beds. 

We're on a Viking cruise in December, and their admin team has responded to any question or change we've had right away.  When my 25 year old daughter decided to come along, she called in, and had her reservation completed and linked to mine for referral credits in about 10 minutes.  Vantage, yeah, that wouldn't have been nearly that smooth, even pre-covid.  Down the road, maybe bike and barge for us (once spouse learned she can stay on board, knitting or reading, while others sweat).

• Thanks 1

I was asking out of real interest, because reading the Vantage threads over the past few years made it clear that there are (were) a lot of loyal Vantage customers who clearly preferred Vantage over other lines.  Thanks for explaining why.  As you describe it, Vantage seemed to have filled a unique niche offering real value at lower prices [IMO low prices don't automatically translate to value, if the product is bottom-basement].  I don't know who will fill that niche.

• Like 1

We traveled with Vantage 14 times and always found it was the best value for the money. We always stayed at 4 star if not better hotels (Four Seasons in Lisbon and Alexandra). Tour guides were almost always top notch.

In fact, when our South Africa trip was canceled last month, we could not find anything comparable to the canceled trip, in terms of length, cost per day or breadth of the experience. 

What happened to Vantage is a shame for the loyal customers.

If a successor company picks up the pieces, is a known quanity and replicates the Vantage experience, we would consider traveling with it.

• Like 1

I agree with you Billybob 79. We have taken 14 trips with Vantage:  Cuba, Mongolia, SE Asia, Africa twice, Antarctica, China, etc.  Always wonderful.  If a known company buys them and provides the same value, I would consider traveling with them again.  But I want my money back first.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ural guy said:

I would cruise on a line that hit those marks, without Pullman beds. 

The small ships that GCT (assuming that was the bed reference) uses for ocean cruises with have regular beds, convertible queen or single. They are either 50 pax or approximately 90 some with 25 or less pax to trip leader. 
It might be worth your while to take a look. 

13 hours ago, ural guy said:

“We sailed Viking once, then three times with Vantage.

We liked Vantage in that their cruises were typically longer; 9 nights versus 7 for Tulip cruise”

Point of information - Viking’s tulip cruise is 9 nights (not 7).

I just logged into my portfolio and found all the information on my cancelled cruise is gone. If you need any info from your reservation ie a copy of your invoice, you better log in and print it out before it disappears.

44 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I just logged into my portfolio and found all the information on my cancelled cruise is gone. If you need any info from your reservation ie a copy of your invoice, you better log in and print it out before it disappears.

On 6/3/2023 at 10:06 PM, magnetman said:

We booked the trip March18th 2023. The trip was the Route of the Vikings.

I just received the confirmation of the cancellation and the four options that they have offered.

All of us on summer trip got the same notification on your portfolio page.  At least we all know that our trips are cancelled so we can start making other plans.  Be positive and pray that they company is able to honor the options they gave us.

That’s great for the Pennsylvania victims. My AG in Virginia is not helping me. The offending company is in Massachusetts, they should be helping all of the victims, but they seem to be helping only their own victims. What about the rest of us?

32 minutes ago, Lexie31 said:

That’s great for the Pennsylvania victims. My AG in Virginia is not helping me. The offending company is in Massachusetts, they should be helping all of the victims, but they seem to be helping only their own victims. What about the rest of us?

Even though I don't live in Pennsylvania I just filed a complaint with the AG for PA.  I am grateful that there is finally action being taken against Vantage.   

A comment on Boston Globe article - looks like this was a response to someone saying Henry Lewis is solely responsible for the mess of Vantage:  "He is #1, but all his team of sycophants are also responsible for the apparent fraud that is occurring and has occurred for a few years. He employs those who will say yes to him, without regard to what’s ethical or even legal. He and they think they are smarter than everyone. They are still directing staff to make reservations and take cash payments from unsuspecting victims who don't know what is going on. His exec team includes Greg DelGreco, Deirdre Dirkman, David Rosen, and managers Palmira Delgado-Britta, Cheryl Sheehan, and the general counsel Rossella Mercuri. (Linked in) They have not acted in the best interest of the consumer, employees, and suppliers. How can they sleep at night knowing what they are doing and have done. Even the staff they manage are reportedly saying their mental health is affected. When is the AG going to step in?" 

26 minutes ago, Roadlamp said:

Has anyone filed with the Florida AG?

I have filed with the Florida AG   I initially filed in 2021 when Vantage charged me an additional $1,300 for a trip that was postponed in 2020 stating there was a price increase, again in 2022 when they postponed my trip for the 3rd time and again last month notifying them of all the current issues with Vantage.  The AG send letters to Vantage on each occasion but of course Vantage never responded to the claims.  

On 6/8/2023 at 2:43 AM, CPT Trips said:

The small ships that GCT (assuming that was the bed reference) uses for ocean cruises with have regular beds, convertible queen or single. They are either 50 pax or approximately 90 some with 25 or less pax to trip leader. 
It might be worth your while to take a look. 

We used one of the 50 passenger ships on an Aegean trip that we really enjoyed. We were able to dock in all but one of the islands. We always enjoyed traveling with GCT or OAT.

I appreciate your passion and well spoken posts. One other thing that you amy do is join the class action lawsuit that has been filed by a Boston attorney.  Call his office and leave your name and tel number and he will reach out to you. I don't know if Cruise Critic will allow this post for various reasons.  I found out about the lawsuit from someone who is on the Facebook page about the Vantage debacle.

Ron Dunbar, Jr.  Attorney,   617-244-3550

A class action suit will get you pennies on the dollar & the attorney wealthy.  Why can’t people wait to see if Vantage successfully concludes the sale.  That is our best bet for getting a refund.  I know people are upset as am I but a class action or bankruptcy ensures we get little to nothing.  

• Like 1