"Old School" Cruise Card

Sunset329

We will be going on our first Medallion cruise in two weeks. My wife wants to go "old school" by using a traditional cruise card. She claims she will lose her medallion in her "other wallet" (i.e her bra), and she does not want anything hanging around her neck. Can she get a traditional cruise card to use onboard? If she gets a traditional cruise card, can hubby still use the Medallion?

• Haha 1

The medallion just gives the ship computer a number which is used to decide what functions you are allowed to use (which room, beverage package, etc).  That number can just as easily come from a traditional cruise card. On our last cruise customer services was giving them out.

The function that you lose is the longer range function which is used for tracking and opening the room door at a distance. The tracking is intended also to allow delivery of drinks and food where ever you are on the ship. Sometimes works, sometimes not.

There are various wrist straps available if she would tolerate that. For me it was convenient and comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Sunset329 said:

We will be going on our first Medallion cruise in two weeks. My wife wants to go "old school" by using a traditional cruise card. She claims she will lose her medallion in her "other wallet" (i.e her bra), and she does not want anything hanging around her neck. Can she get a traditional cruise card to use onboard? If she gets a traditional cruise card, can hubby still use the Medallion?

It’s a lot easier IMO.  It’s almost contactless….which I like.  We have the wristbands, and they are convenient.

Some ships are not carrying the old cards anymore. 

So, she wants to whip it out to show every time she orders a coffee,

drink, shops, open cabin door etc?  I like to walk up and they already have that info for me. 

Anyway, order your medallions ahead of time. Go to GS once OB to exchange hers 

for a card, if they have them and you can keep your medallion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richla said:

The medallion has many ways to wear it. She can also put it a clip attachment. I like the watch attachment you can get on Amazon. It just stays on my watch band and I never have to think about it.

Or, even a little clip. You can clip it to your belt, pocket or (bra) or wherever you want.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richla said:

It just stays on my watch band and I never have to think about it.

This is the best feature of the medallion. I wear it on a wrist band and never have to think about it (well, almost never as sometimes the bar needs a local beep as does the leaving and returning to the ship). The card always had to be fished out from somewhere to get it close enough to trigger the sensors.

7 minutes ago, NownZen said:

This is the best feature of the medallion. I wear it on a wrist band and never have to think about it (well, almost never as sometimes the bar needs a local beep as does the leaving and returning to the ship). The card always had to be fished out from somewhere to get it close enough to trigger the sensors.

I like it when I walk up to the bar and they know my favorite wine or the IC for my special latte!  Awesome 

Yes, there are many ways to wear the medallion.   Beside the lanyard that comes free you can also get clips, watch attachments, necklaces, bracelets, silicone bands, etc.   Of course all of those have some cost.    If your wife likes to put it in her bra the clip might be the answer.    Google search for Air Tag holders as those are the same size or Princess medallion holders.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R93C77G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/OCEAN-Princess-Cruises-Medallion-Accessory/dp/B07V5KGFQR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=AHM86C5XUWPV&keywords=cruise%2Bmedallion%2Bholder&qid=1663704045&sprefix=cruise%2Bmedallion%2Bholder%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-3&th=1

44 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

If you haven't tried the medallion you should give it a chance.  You may very well be surprised.  The Medallion app, on the other hand...is another story altogether!

The app is totally screwed up. I have 3 upcoming cruises in my personalizer and one will not show up in the app have spent hours with the so called “navigators” and no help at all

3 hours ago, Sunset329 said:

Yes, go to guest services and request one. Because the recommendation is NOT to use the medallion because of it's magnet if you have a pacemaker Princess will always keep the cruise cards available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

It’s a lot easier IMO.  It’s almost contactless….which I like.  We have the wristbands, and they are convenient.

Some ships are not carrying the old cards anymore. 

So, she wants to whip it out to show every time she orders a coffee,

drink, shops, open cabin door etc?  I like to walk up and they already have that info for me. 

Anyway, order your medallions ahead of time. Go to GS once OB to exchange hers 

for a card, if they have them and you can keep your medallion.

You mean that I will have to open door by myself instead of having them open for me.  The horror of it!!!

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They will keep the cruise cards available for those that simply refuse the medallion ... you can obtain one at the guest services desk.  But, the medallion is so convenient ... they have a variety of wrist bands and they are as low as $10.  They also have clips but they also can fit into an airtag holder you can get on amazon.  

In searching for holders on amazon, there is one that has a brooch pin.  Your wife could pin to her shirt? Or bra, I suppose.

@richla do you have a slider that goes on your watchband (kind of like the ones they sell for dog collar air tags)? If so, does it interfere with your watch at all?  Or did you mean you have the watchband style holder but don't wear it on an actual watch?