Norwegian fyords how much local currency shall we take

paphosbabe

Hi we are booking this cruise tomorrow as our travel agent advised to do so. I am wondering how much local currency to take for a 7 night cruise. We will of course have the credit card but maybe just for drinks and snacks, 5 ports on the cruise. I do know it is expensive but just a ball park figure would be great. 

I don’t recall getting any Norwegian Krone on our last Fjord cruise. (I’m sure we did, but it wasn’t much.) That was 2015 and I believe credit card use is even more common now in Norway. I’d be hard pressed to convert more than £100. 

The price of ‘just drinks and a snack’ in Norway is enough to put on a card…

We were there in 2017, took currency and didn’t use it, credit cards widely used, even at some of the little stores. If we return I wouldn’t take more than about equivalent to £50…

Got around $200 equivalent from ATM on first cruise stop six or seven years ago and still have half of it.  Depends on how much shopping you plan on doing at street vendors.  Back in those days only larger stores used credit cards.  Now even small purchases are often done with cards.

TBH you actually don't need any physical currency. Everything is done with a credit card. We had to purposely use currency to rid ours. On our last stop in Bergen we had lunch and wanted to pay in currency. The server was a bit shocked and actually was a little befuddled, lol.

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

TBH you actually don't need any physical currency. Everything is done with a credit card. We had to purposely use currency to rid ours. On our last stop in Bergen we had lunch and wanted to pay in currency. The server was a bit shocked and actually was a little befuddled, lol. This was this past June.

PXL_20220617_090659664_2.jpg

Edited by kwokpot

Just back from August 31st to Sept 9th (9 nights, 6 ports). Did not use any currency. Was able to adjust total for tips if needed. Even the 1 Krone pay toilets took cards. Had to sign for some, apparently did not if you used tap to pay (card will have a wifi symbol by the chip). What surprised me was having to sign when using my chip and pin debit card, but they may have run it as credit. Needless to say between the 2 of us we tried 3 cards and insert, swipe, and tap to pay methods. All worked.

A fun edit:

I forgot to pack a fresh bottle of my Calcium Carbonate style antacids before I left (think tums). Red wine and no sleep are not nice on my stomach sometimes:)  Luckily I had a few in my Dop kit, as they are apparently impossible to find in Norway. It almost became a scavenger hunt to find them. One pharmacy in kristiansand was actually able to find the chemical equivalent, but the only bottle they had was in a town 40 miles away:) As I never really ended up using many, I never got around to finding out what the locals use.

Edited by RedIguana
Fun Edit

Thank you all so much for the replies I think we will take your advice.

Here is hoping the booking goes well tomorrow. T/A said booking tomorrow was a better option as things are changing. We shall see, there again I will be going anyway, not cruised since 2019.

33 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Just back from August 31st to Sept 9th (9 nights, 6 ports). Did not use any currency. Was able to adjust total for tips if needed. Even the 1 Krone pay toilets took cards. Had to sign for some, apparently did not if you used tap to pay (card will have a wifi symbol by the chip). What surprised me was having to sign when using my chip and pin debit card, but they may have run it as credit. Needless to say between the 2 of us we tried 3 cards and insert, swipe, and tap to pay methods. All worked.

A fun edit:

I forgot to pack a fresh bottle of my Calcium Carbonate style antacids before I left (think tums). Red wine and no sleep are not nice on my stomach sometimes:)  Luckily I had a few in my Dop kit, as they are apparently impossible to find in Norway. It almost became a scavenger hunt to find them. One pharmacy in kristiansand was actually able to find the chemical equivalent, but the only bottle they had was in a town 40 miles away:) As I never really ended up using many, I never got around to finding out what the locals use.

Whenever one travels overseas you should bring a mini pharmacy sampler of OTC drugs; cold/flu tablets, antacids, antidiarrheal, Tylenol, BENADRYL!!!. European drug laws are much more strict than USA and many of our drugs that are OTC actually have to be dispensed by a pharmacist. They are extremely expensive compared to USA prices. 

Helpful hint: I attached a photo of an antigas/antiacid that is WORLDS better than the regular Tums. You'll thank me when you try it. They taste like Mentos candy. 

Screenshot_20220921-150405.png

I agree after going to Egypt a few years ago and was charged £10.00 for a small pack of paracetomal I now go with everything for every outcome. Having said that when I was in New York in May I found the omerperazole cheaper than a prescription in the UK.

A hint to double check your CC to make sure there are not foreign transaction fees charged.  We use Capital One Quicksilver when abroad, and use the Charles Schwab debt card for cash from BANK ATMs, as the fees are rebated.  

Edited by marieps
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Back to the original thread.  Spent 3 weeks in the EU.  Never needed any local currency- ZERO.  If you want use an ATM on arrival and get a very small amount of local currency.

Currently in Canada and exactly the same.  One shop owner said only "old people" paid with cash.

We were in the UK with 50 pound notes and nobody accepted them!  So paying by card is the way to go!

I have a vague memory of searching for an ATM at our first port stop on my 14 night Norway cruise in 2019. I'm pretty sure the only place I used it was for tipping tour guides, and then I wound up buying souvenirs at the gift shop on the pier at the last stop, just to spend what was left. Even places like a tiny ice cream kiosk take cards. 

If you don't already have a tap-to-pay card (with the wifi signal on it), I'd advise getting one because those are what most locals use for everything and signing is a bit fumbly.

16 hours ago, paphosbabe said:

Hi we are booking this cruise tomorrow as our travel agent advised to do so. I am wondering how much local currency to take for a 7 night cruise. We will of course have the credit card but maybe just for drinks and snacks, 5 ports on the cruise. I do know it is expensive but just a ball park figure would be great. 

Credit cards are accepted everywhere and are preferred to cash. Even market stalls, and tiny cafes all take cards. If you do get some local money don't change it back use it for onboard tips.