When do you think we will be able to book shows before boarding?

maggieq

It’s really not so bad booking once onboard, except for the comedy on Oasis class because of the size of the room. And on all the cruises we’ve taken since the restart, the only other time we even saw a full theatre was for The Book on Odyssey.

We usually like to sit on the back anyway, so it’s a non issue for us…..except for comedy.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:18 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

You don't need internet access on the ship, just connect to the ship's wi-fi. We just got off Harmony on Sunday and did both the Muster Station videos and booked some of our shows while sitting in the terminal waiting for our group number to be called.

I apologize for being such a noob.  So, you can connect to the ship's wifi for free while at the departure port?    From what I've read, access to the Wifi is what you get when you buy the internet package, right?  Does it use your GPS location to determine if you can make the reservations, or is it that you are on the Wifi?

My initial plans were to do Anytime dining and to set the dining times around the shows.  Although, I'm starting to read that Anytime is a mess with bad availability.  So maybe not.  

Thinking Voyager out of Galveston Feb 2024.   Waiting on an answer on whether DD's best friend can go with us before I make the reservations.    

2 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I apologize for being such a noob.  So, you can connect to the ship's wifi for free while at the departure port?    From what I've read, access to the Wifi is what you get when you buy the internet package, right?  Does it use your GPS location to determine if you can make the reservations, or is it that you are on the Wifi?

My initial plans were to do Anytime dining and to set the dining times around the shows.  Although, I'm starting to read that Anytime is a mess with bad availability.  So maybe not.  

Thinking Voyager out of Galveston Feb 2024.   Waiting on an answer on whether DD's best friend can go with us before I make the reservations.    

You can connect to the ships WiFi for the purposes of using the official APP, during the entire cruise for free. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vadersprincess12 said:

I read an article from one of the cruise websites yesterday that said Royal will not go back to being able to make reservations for shows pre-sail like they did before Covid.  Sounds like everything will be only after boarding.  If I can find the article again, I'll post a link.

See post 52 of this thread where there is a link to what I posted that was announced by Royal. 

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

From what I've read, access to the Wifi is what you get when you buy the internet package, right? 

Connecting to the ship wifi gets you a few free things:

Ability to complete the e-muster prerequisites

Use the RCI app

Access to some RCG related web sites

For all other internet access, you'd need to Voom package.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

So, you can connect to the ship's wifi for free while at the departure port?    From what I've read, access to the Wifi is what you get when you buy the internet package, right?  Does it use your GPS location to determine if you can make the reservations, or is it that you are on the Wifi?

Wifi is just the way your phone connects to the ship's network.  This type of wifi is free, which is what allows the app to work for making reservations and showing you what is scheduled.

Voom is the wifi you pay for that includes access to the internet to be able to have access to the World Wide Web and your various apps and email and such.  

In either case, make sure you put your phone in Airplane Mode and then turn Wi-Fi back on to access the ship's network or Voom.  This will disconnect your phone's cellular connection and save you from racking up huge data bills unintentionally.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, Sun Lover said:

How do they verify that you watched the video?

Once you watch it whilst connected to ships wifi it will come up with completed on the app once watched. You check off which guests completed it. You then listen to the emergency signal on the app and again once complete says completed. 
when you attend muster they scan your set sail pass in app. 

When they scan it there is a screen on their hand held device and I assume it tells them if completed or not as when we went to our muster last week they scanned the person in front of me and showed them how to view on app as they had not completed.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Once you watch it whilst connected to ships wifi it will come up with completed on the app once watched. You check off which guests completed it. You then listen to the emergency signal on the app and again once complete says completed. 

When they scan it there is a screen on their hand held device and I assume it tells them if completed or not as when we went to our muster last week they scanned the person in front of me and showed them how to view on app as they had not completed.

No need to be connected to the ship WiFi

2 hours ago, Spurschick said:

It will not register that you have completed watching it unless you are on ships wifi. 

56 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sorry, but that is simply not correct.

55 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No need to be connected to the ship WiFi

I agree, @Spurschick has incorrect information.  You can watch the safety video and listen to the emergency signal ON EMBARKATION DAY, regardless of being connected to the ship's wifi.  

I did mine on Saturday in my Airbnb in Miami before getting on Explorer.  

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 7:54 PM, brillohead said:

I think booking on board is going to be the "new normal".  It allows them flexibility to move shows around without messing up everyone's reservations from two months previous.

This! The performers have preferences about when shows should be, based on their own endurance and needs to recover. And this can vary based on new cast members coming on board when previous cast members go off contract.

so if a passenger turns off the world and places all electronic devices in their safe, it would be safe to say it would be difficult for them to do the muster drill and reserve dining and shows.  I suppose they would have to contact people onboard to help them.  Luckily this isn't me.  I personally find the app helpful and easy to use.  Much better then dragging paper and a pencil around.

4 hours ago, Spurschick said:

It will not register that you have completed watching it unless you are on ships wifi. 

Nope.  We've done it morning of from our hotel (FL) and home (VA cruising out of Baltimore) and no issues.

Edited by BND

8 hours ago, Spurschick said:

We watched the safety briefing whilst in the cab travelling to the port!. You do not have to be connected to ships Wi-Fi to watch safety briefing. 

9 hours ago, Spurschick said:

How far out from sailing time you can get credit for watching the muster videos (via any connection) seems to vary a bit up to a max of about 16 hours. 

21 hours ago, jean87510 said:

so if a passenger turns off the world and places all electronic devices in their safe, it would be safe to say it would be difficult for them to do the muster drill and reserve dining and shows.  I suppose they would have to contact people onboard to help them.  Luckily this isn't me.  I personally find the app helpful and easy to use.  Much better then dragging paper and a pencil around.

When you arrive at your muster station, if you haven't done the video demonstration, they'll give you an in-person demonstration.  

If you want to reserve specialty dining, you can go to any open specialty restaurant and take care of that.

Guest Services can also reserve your shows for you, if your ship requires reservations. 

15 hours ago, brillohead said:

When you arrive at your muster station, if you haven't done the video demonstration, they'll give you an in-person demonstration.  

If you want to reserve specialty dining, you can go to any open specialty restaurant and take care of that.

Guest Services can also reserve your shows for you, if your ship requires reservations. 

I understand that.  But isn't it easier to just open the app and sit down somewhere and do this rather then wander around and have to stand in lines?  I love tech stuff because it's made my life much easier so I really can't understand why people resist it.  Just one of the mysteries of life I can't grasp.  But to be fair, I am more on my phone then socializing so perhaps the act of having conversations and interactions instead of glued to phone is easier for some than others.  

On 10/2/2022 at 9:08 PM, jean87510 said:

Not necessarily.  You can watch the safetry Video prior to boarding, the morning of the cruise in our hotel is when we normally do it.  You can also watch it on your stateroom TV after boarding. 

Dining reservations can be made for the main dining room can be made prior to boarding via the internet or the app.  Specialty dining reservations can be made onboard by going to any specialty restaurant and doing the reservations in person. 

My advise has always been to use your phone right up to sail away and then if you feel it necessary, turn it off and put it in the safe.  Otherwise, put it in airplane mode, connect to the ship's WiFi and use the app.   There is no charge for using the app only.