BTimmer's Almost Live Downunder 2022 - (10/2/22 to 12/6/22 on the Westerdam)

Btimmer

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from Btimmer! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Btimmer was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

It's time again to head out on another cruise adventure.  We plan to board the Westerdam in Seattle on Sunday, 10/2/22 with a scheduled departure time of 3pm.  I'll be doing my customary "Almost Live" thread from the ship for our 64 day voyage (B2B2B).  We've done this trip a couple times before, but what makes this one special is that this Westerdam cruise marks us cruising on the last Holland America ship in the current fleet that we've not sailed on previously. During the past year, we were able to sail on the previous last three (Rotterdam VII, Zuiderdam, and Noordam).

The projected route will take us to Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Australia, a loop around New Zealand and finishes up with a Sydney round trip to Tasmania and out to Kangaroo Island. We've had a number of itinerary changes in the past few months, and we may have some more ahead of us. We've got our snorkel gear packed and are looking forward to lots of snorkeling.  We're doing this trip in our customary inside aft cabin.  I'm hosting the Meet & Greets after each embarkation port on 10/3, 11/9, and 11/25. These will be held in the Billboard Onboard area.

As has been my custom, I'll post pictures and limited commentary in this thread. Feel free to ask questions in this thread, and I'll attempt to answer them. I will record a daily blog with much more detail at https://timmer2022du.blogspot.com.  That link won't become active until 10/2 or after. 

And, yes, this will be our longest cruise by 2 days.  It beats a 2016 B2B Maasdam cruise from Seattle to Sydney and an Australia circumnavigation that was 62 days. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Time, I, too, can't wait for this cruise to start! And it's always good to hear that someone else will be posting along the way! I'll be blogging at www.WriterOnDeck.com. Do you know if anyone else on the cruise is blogging?

See you soon!

Offhand, I don't know if anyone else who is blogging.  

• Like 1

@BtimmerTim, looking forward to following along on your cruise. Your posts are always so informative, and we'll be doing something similar in March-April 2023 (Melbourne-Sydney then Sydney-NZ-American Samoa-Tahiti-Hawaii-San Francisco).  Have a wonderful time!!

Laura

Tim -  My stepfather and I met you and your wife on 8/3 when we had to wait an hour

before entering the Boston terminal.  We were in front of you in the line. You made

the wait better - we enjoyed talking  to you both. I'm sorry we didn't see you for the

rest of the trip, but we hope to see you on another HAL cruise in the future.

We still did not get our guest surveys. I emailed Guest Relations and gave our cabin numbers and dates of cruise. Since we had adjoining rooms, we should have

received 2 surveys. 

Have a great cruise! I'm glad you will see your friends in Australia.

Bon Voyage!

Betsy

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

Tim -  My stepfather and I met you and your wife on 8/3 when we had to wait an hour

before entering the Boston terminal.  We were in front of you in the line. You made

the wait better - we enjoyed talking  to you both. I'm sorry we didn't see you for the

rest of the trip, but we hope to see you on another HAL cruise in the future.

We still did not get our guest surveys. I emailed Guest Relations and gave our cabin numbers and dates of cruise. Since we had adjoining rooms, we should have

received 2 surveys. 

Have a great cruise! I'm glad you will see your friends in Australia.

Bon Voyage!

Betsy

Betsy,

Thanks for reaching out!  We enjoyed the conversation as well.  There was another couple from Seattle on the cruise that we flew with to Boston that we never saw in the cruise.  So don't feel alone.

Tim

On 9/27/2022 at 9:23 AM, Btimmer said:

Betsy,

Thanks for reaching out!  We enjoyed the conversation as well.  There was another couple from Seattle on the cruise that we flew with to Boston that we never saw in the cruise.  So don't feel alone.

Tim

Tim, 

That was us, Ed and June.  We were a bit concerned that possibly you were quarantined because we never saw you after getting off the plane. Bon Voyage and safe travel.  

• Like 1