Question re boarding in Sydney on Princess cruises

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

What time does embarkation usually start on a Princess ship leaving from the OPT in Sydney? Is it around midday?

Hi Evon   Unless there is a problem disembarking the previous cruise (late arrival etc)  last week we arrived t 11.05 nd were in our cabin at 11.30  The checking in is somewhat protracted to what it used to be but if you have used the app[ you can sail right past the GUARD  on the door and get in the line to be vax and covid detailed and receive your medallions

There was a line for xray baggage carry ons and they split us into those with booze and those without  then to the naughty table to have labels put on the bottles

Edited by windsor26
  • Haha 1

At the beginning of the month it was 11am however I believe this current cruise was noon. I'm not totally sure as I could not get into the arrivals part of the app, it kept hanging.

So we had no idea what time we could board. We got to the OPT around 11:15am. There is a Platinum/Elite lane before you enter the terminal so we could go straight in. This time they had the medallion collection downstairs so you went there first, then upstairs to check-in which also had a Platinum/Elite lane. We had passports and vax certs ready so, again, it was very quick. Through passport control, through security screening and onto the ship by 11:30am. I was very happy. 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks everyone.🙂

I've never understood why passengers want to be on board ASAP.  Whilst I like to have the ship in my sights, I'm usually one of the last to board before boarding deadline.  Then there are no queues, you just walk on as staff are just happy to tick you off their list.

• Like 2

Just now, MMDown Under said:

I've never understood why passengers want to be on board ASAP.  Whilst I like to have the ship in my sights, I'm usually one of the last to board before boarding deadline.  Then there are no queues, you just walk on as staff are just happy to tick you off their list.

I didn't ask the question so I could be on board first, but to help me decide which flight to book from Brisbane. 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry I linked my response to yours.  It was just a general response.  Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

What time does embarkation usually start on a Princess ship leaving from the OPT in Sydney? Is it around midday?

Evon, if this is for the world cruise, I would book an early flight (especially with so many cancellations and delays)

You can always drop your bags from about 8.30am, and then go for a coffee or a walk around the Rocks

We have been able to arrive around 10.45 and be on board by 11.00 for our recent Coral cruises

Tanya

• Like 1

Just now, stki said:

Evon, if this is for the world cruise, I would book an early flight (especially with so many cancellations and delays)

You can always drop your bags from about 8.30am, and then go for a coffee or a walk around the Rocks

We have been able to arrive around 10.45 and be on board by 11.00 for our recent Coral cruises

Tanya

I have booked an early flight, but not quite that early. Now I have to work out how to book the Princess transfer from the airport. It doesn't appear under the 'excursions' page for the cruise. Can someone point me in the right direction?

17 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have booked an early flight, but not quite that early. Now I have to work out how to book the Princess transfer from the airport. It doesn't appear under the 'excursions' page for the cruise. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Who ever you booked the cruise with you need to give them a call

On 9/26/2022 at 7:41 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Or you just show up at the airport to a representative carrying Princess logo, and they'll fill in a form for you (so you get charged onboard) and send you onto the next available transfer

They're usually hanging around in M&G area in arrival halls

Michael

Edited by eamondzhang

On 9/26/2022 at 6:08 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

At the beginning of the month it was 11am however I believe this current cruise was noon. I'm not totally sure as I could not get into the arrivals part of the app, it kept hanging.

So we had no idea what time we could board. We got to the OPT around 11:15am. There is a Platinum/Elite lane before you enter the terminal so we could go straight in. This time they had the medallion collection downstairs so you went there first, then upstairs to check-in which also had a Platinum/Elite lane. We had passports and vax certs ready so, again, it was very quick. Through passport control, through security screening and onto the ship by 11:30am. I was very happy. 😊

Thats great. I know we are in group A and I understand that is 12 noon. We're actually flying in that morning so really hoping no hiccups. We figures Melbourne to Sydney is such a busy route that if by chance a flight cancelled there will be plenty more as its only an hour flight.

On 9/26/2022 at 6:44 PM, MMDown Under said:

We love to board ASAP because for us, the quicker we're on board the quicker the holiday starts. Head to MDR for lunch and breathe a sigh of relief that we made it lol.

• Like 2

Just now, Cbtours said:

We love to board ASAP because for us, the quicker we're on board the quicker the holiday starts. Head to MDR for lunch and breathe a sigh of relief that we made it lol.

I guess it demonstrates that I'm a destination person rather than a ship person.  I understand that ship people are excited to be on board.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

I feel the same. The front of the queue is as fast as the back of it, as long as you don't have to wait for it to open.

Our embarkation creed is always to get lunch, unpacking, onboard bookings out of the way before muster, and even easier now we can muster in our own time in the cabin. Also, when travelling a few hours to the ship, once it is in sight and luggage dropped, it is hard to walk away.

That said, we are not in a rush, but found when you have priority boarding, things flow best when you take advantage of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I feel the same. The front of the queue is as fast as the back of it, as long as you don't have to wait for it to open.

Our embarkation creed is always to get lunch, unpacking, onboard bookings out of the way before muster, and even easier now we can muster in our own time in the cabin. Also, when travelling a few hours to the ship, once it is in sight and luggage dropped, it is hard to walk away.

That said, we are not in a rush, but found when you have priority boarding, things flow best when you take advantage of it.

Ive never had the luxury of priority boarding, so happy to stroll on when the check in is empty.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Thats great. I know we are in group A and I understand that is 12 noon. We're actually flying in that morning so really hoping no hiccups. We figures Melbourne to Sydney is such a busy route that if by chance a flight cancelled there will be plenty more as its only an hour flight.

Having your flight cancelled isn't the only risk. What happens if there is a major weather event that closes Sydney airport? 

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

The nice thing about the current muster system is that you can listen to the muster instructions while unpacking. Very efficient!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Arrrgggg!!! Well I’ll be praying very hard!!!! 

At least you have some friends to help you.

Winter, I would be concerned about fog.

Summer, I would be concerned about about afternoon thunderstorms

October, I think an early flight involving Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and even Gold Coast are a pretty safe bet. As you say, lots of plan B flights.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, arxcards said:

At least you have some friends to help you.

Winter, I would be concerned about fog.

Summer, I would be concerned about about afternoon thunderstorms

October, I think an early flight involving Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and even Gold Coast are a pretty safe bet. As you say, lots of plan B flights.

That’s what I’m thinking, plus ship leaves 6.45pm according to itinerary, and we have princess transfers booked which I think is a bit of extra safeguard.