Question re boarding in Sydney on Princess cruises

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Having your flight cancelled isn't the only risk. What happens if there is a major weather event that closes Sydney airport? 

Yes I knew a Steward who lived in Brisbane but was supposed to be based in Sydney.  He would have to call in sick if there was a weather event. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Having your flight cancelled isn't the only risk. What happens if there is a major weather event that closes Sydney airport? 

I doubt that the airport would be closed all day. QANTAS would have to move me to a later flight. The ship doesn't leave until 6.45pm.

Years ago a cruise we were on (weren't nearly all our cruise years ago???) delayed their departure by a few hours because a weather event had prevented a large number of people arriving in Sydney to board the ship. Maybe the weather event was in Melbourne because we flew from Brisbane that morning. In our dozens of cruises leaving from Sydney, we have always flown the morning of the cruise.

I don't want to fly a day earlier and stay in Sydney for the night. I don't think it is necessary. An emergency fall-back option would be to board the ship in Brisbane two days later.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 6:44 PM, MMDown Under said:

I've never understood why passengers want to be on board ASAP.  Whilst I like to have the ship in my sights, I'm usually one of the last to board before boarding deadline.  Then there are no queues, you just walk on as staff are just happy to tick you off their list.

They like to hit the mdr for lunch. Dont know why, plenty of food in Horizon Court buffet all afteroon.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Be safe fly up the night before, book a hotel and Relax.

Flights already booked unfortunately but I’m feeling it be okay ! Only an hour flight, ship not sailing til 6.45pm, weather events to close all airport are not that common etc.

of course I’m praying I don’t have to eat my words 😩😩😩 worst case scenario I’ll get a flight to Brisbane and meet the ship there!

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I doubt that the airport would be closed all day. QANTAS would have to move me to a later flight. The ship doesn't leave until 6.45pm.

Years ago a cruise we were on (weren't nearly all our cruise years ago???) delayed their departure by a few hours because a weather event had prevented a large number of people arriving in Sydney to board the ship. Maybe the weather event was in Melbourne because we flew from Brisbane that morning. In our dozens of cruises leaving from Sydney, we have always flown the morning of the cruise.

I don't want to fly a day earlier and stay in Sydney for the night. I don't think it is necessary. An emergency fall-back option would be to board the ship in Brisbane two days later.

That’s just what I said 🥰

50 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Horizon Court doesn't have souffles for lunch!

No good to me, lol. I existed on Pavlova and Creme Brulee on Coral last week with a few scoops of ice cream on the side, I ask for one scoop and they give me 3 or 4. One night they gave me 6 scoops of icecream and sorbet, all different colours, lol.

🍨

Julie and Rolf and others you are lucky being on the Coral and missing this awful weather down here on NSW Far South Coast and in Sydney, rain, winds all this week.😬

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Be safe fly up the night before, book a hotel and Relax.

To me Sydney is Australia's NY, whilst Melbourne is Australia's London.  I love both for different reasons and would love to spend nights before or after a cruise there, as part of the holiday.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Julie and Rolf and others you are lucky being on the Coral and missing this awful weather down here on NSW Far South Coast and in Sydney, rain, winds all this week.😬

Ugh! I'm very happy we decided to book this extra cruise. I am so tired of the crappy weather Sydney has had for most of the year.

Hmmm - I wonder if there are any last minute cabins on the upcoming Round Australia cruise? I don't think I'd better look, I'm in Good Spirits at the moment and the Future Cruise Sales Office is too temptingly close! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ugh! I'm very happy we decided to book this extra cruise. I am so tired of the crappy weather Sydney has had for most of the year.

Hmmm - I wonder if there are any last minute cabins on the upcoming Round Australia cruise? I don't think I'd better look, I'm in Good Spirits at the moment and the Future Cruise Sales Office is too temptingly close! 🤣🤣🤣

There are available cabins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

To me Sydney is Australia's NY, whilst Melbourne is Australia's London.  I love both for different reasons and would love to spend nights before or after a cruise there, as part of the holiday.  

That is what I do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Booked yet?

Aren't you tempted to just look at what is available and price?  It has been so long, I'd forgotten just how enjoyable researching holidays is.  And frustrating.  A couple of cruises I was interested in are full!   Of course, they may have vacancies closer to departure in 2023.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Aren't you tempted to just look at what is available and price?  It has been so long, I'd forgotten just how enjoyable researching holidays is.  And frustrating.  A couple of cruises I was interested in are full!   Of course, they may have vacancies closer to departure in 2023.

Of course I looked! 🤣 Only guarantee balcony cabins left at well over $11,000 per person. 

We're already booked on that cruise next October so I think we'd better wait until then. We'll just have put up with the lousy Sydney weather. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Last minute cabins, yes.

Last minute pricing, no.

It's possible there are some drop and go fares but they never publish them and I'm keeping away from the Future Sales Office - I don't trust myself!!!! 

Seriously though, we have some stuff we need to do over the next few weeks so no matter how tempting it is to avoid the Sydney weather it just isn't possible. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Of course I looked! 🤣 Only guarantee balcony cabins left at well over $11,000 per person. 

We're already booked on that cruise next October so I think we'd better wait until then. We'll just have put up with the lousy Sydney weather. 

Sydney hasn't been as bad as forecast.  It has been fine and sunny part of each day.  Bad storm with thunder and lightning one night.  I still cart my umbrella just in case.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes there are! I’m keeping my eye on it too

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Too expensive the Oct Round Astraya, $20 grand for me, did it it in 2009 on ye olde Sun Princess. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Sydney hasn't been as bad as forecast.  It has been fine and sunny part of each day.  Bad storm with thunder and lightning one night.  I still cart my umbrella just in case.

Yes we were in Syd on Sunday through to Tues - weather was pretty good though the wind was a bit cool - not really T shirt weather. Thought we would cop it on Tues going back to Central station but missed the rain altogether. Several heavy downpours on bus back to Canberra though.

And a bonus - Coral P was at the OPT when we were there - sigh - could easily have slipped aboard.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Haha 1