Cruising without a passport

fizook

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

You won't be able to sail without a passport on any ship.

Actually US citizens can sail on round trip cruises from US ports to the Caribbean on some mass market cruise lines with a birth certificate and other ID. If they need to fly home from one of the islands, that's where the problem occurs. I wouldn't do it, but it's done every day.

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Actually US citizens can sail on round trip cruises from US ports to the Caribbean on some mass market cruise lines with a birth certificate and other ID. If they need to fly home from one of the islands, that's where the problem occurs. I wouldn't do it, but it's done every day.

I think your operative phrase was mass market. Not quite SS is it.

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Silversea won't allow it though.  They require a passport for all cruises.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I think it also only applies to closed loop cruises out and in to a US port.   So for the Caribbean that would mean the very few Silversea itineraries.

Hi Randy😀, that was it.....I could not think of the term for those specific cruises.........Closed Loop! 

I was responding to Mr Luxury when he posted you couldn’t sail on any cruise ship without a passport. Also said it was round trip and in the Caribbean. I sometimes wonder about people’s reading comprehension when they jump in to correct you when you’ve actually already said it. I should be used to that on the internet. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I was responding to Mr Luxury when he posted you couldn’t sail on any cruise ship without a passport. Also said it was round trip and in the Caribbean. I sometimes wonder about people’s reading comprehension when they jump in to correct you when you’ve actually already said it. I should be used to that on the internet. 

My apologies.  Didn’t mean to step on your post.  My bad.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 2:26 AM, Texas Tillie said:

To be fair, this is the SS forum and I suspect he was referring to Silversea Ships and not other lines. But point taken, it could have been emphasised.

I'm certainly aware of what you say is true. People have been caught out when falling ill and having to leave the ship in the Caribbean area finding themselves in trouble as a result.

OP, you will need to get your passport renewed or replaced before embarking. (Assuming it's a SS ship you are sailing on!). I actually misplaced my passport 3 weeks prior to sailing on the Muse in the Med. Luckily I was able to get it replaced in a day or so. I knew it was in the house somewhere and which I annoyingly found a month or so after my return.