Princess 1.00 deposit and other sales questions

latebuyer

I’m wondering if there is any catch with this 1.00 deposit as it seems to good to be true. Also is there anything special about this sale. I known in the case of royal caribbean they repeat the same sale over and over. Also, is there a best price guarantee?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I’m wondering if there is any catch with this 1.00 deposit as it seems to good to be true. Also is there anything special about this sale. I known in the case of royal caribbean they repeat the same sale over and over. Also, is there a best price guarantee?

There's no catch that I know of. You can always book a cabin now and then get it repriced later on if you see a better deal. I think you'll need to pay whatever deposit is applicable at that time. A refare switches you over to whatever deals apply at that time.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. Is it a particularly good sale right now or has there been better? Obc seems good, particularly for a canadian.

There certainly has been different, but it's a personal point of view about what's better. If you like the idea of some OBC and the $1 deposit, you've basically got nothing to lose by booking a cruise that you like. If a better deal, in your opinion, comes along then you can always switch over to that.

28 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. Is it a particularly good sale right now or has there been better? Obc seems good, particularly for a canadian.

Prices could fluctuate many times over weeks or months.  You can refare at anytime before final payment, but that means new deposits at applicable rates and possibly new or elimination of perks/OBC.  Sales are impossible to predict.  I would book your choice of cruise and cabin with the $1 deposit and watch prices regularly.  You can always change your mind.

My perspective: I booked a TA on the previous $1 sale. Just repriced 2 weeks ago bc my preferred zone opened up, dropped price 1k, this time secured with FCD, got 200 OBC, and my $1 showed up as a refund 2 days later.

Now looking for a 2023 summer voyage 

• Like 1

Thanks. Is it better to book over the phone or is it better online? Just wondering how changeable things are in terms of airport transfers, insurance etc. I’m not sure if you can book on the web then make changes over the phone.

It appears that once you get to actually booking a cruise, the refundable deposit required may be much higher than $1.00. For example, bookings on the new Sun Princess still require $800.00 deposits. While most cruises are $1.00 deposits, many are not even though it says so on the cover page.

Edited by billco

Yes, you can certainly book everything online that you mentioned, as well as flights, and you will need to call in to make changes.  Also, please do your research regarding the Medallion App.  If you decide you just don’t want to use the app, for whatever reason, do not panic.  Just print out what you can and take it with you.  The folks at the cruise terminal will help you out.

No catch that I know of.  I just cancelled a booking I had and rebooked under this promo.  I'd previously booked under the $50 pp deposit so $100 deposit will be refunded and my credit card was charged just $2.  Also got a lower fare and the $100 pp credit so it was a real win for me.  

Edited by Brickwood
typo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I booked my cruise. Thanks for all the info. Just wondering if you can use the obc before the cruise to book shore excursions.

Only shareholder obc can be used before the cruise. 

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Only shareholder obc can be used before the cruise. 

No, OBC other than OBC given by Princess to compensate for a past problem can be used pre-cruise to book a shore excursion.

This includes military OBC, OBC as a booking perk, posted OBC from a travel agent, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. As a solo cruiser and canadian i was excited to get the 200US obc but now i wonder how i would use it. Can you use it for tips at least when onboard?

Yes, you can use it for tips onboard. We also use it to buy coffee cards.

7 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I booked my cruise. Thanks for all the info. Just wondering if you can use the obc before the cruise to book shore excursions.

Yes you can. I have several times! Enjoy!

13 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Does anyone know if the shore excursions in myprincess are in us dollars or american?

Do you mean US dollars or Canadian?  Prices are in US dollars.

Edited by LACruiser88

7 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Also wondering if they ever offer free airfare. My flight would be vancouver to fort lauderdale so that would be great!

No.  I have never, in many years of cruising with Princess,  seen a free air offer.  It’s never free with other cruiselines either.  It all gets incorporated into one price so you pay more for the cruise.  Nothing is free.