Quest Montreal to New York Oct4-Oct16

Viking1966

Viking1966. I hope you don't mind me chiming in with my experience.

We had a better experience in The Restaurant last night. They had already noted that we wanted a faster section and we asked that we be served our courses when we finished and not wait until our friends were finished.  That worked well for all of us.  

We've had room service for breakfast twice and both times they delivered on time and accurately though the almond milk for my coffee curdled when added. Didn't know almond milk would do that. 

We walked by Earth and Ocean last night and they were open, despite the menu delivered to our cabin stating they would be closed. There were only 4 tables dining there. It's scheduled to be open today but heavy rain is threatening. We may give it a try if they are indeed open.

As a side note, when using the ship's wifi I can't get to these boards. I do have an eSim fo Canada, so I use that when I can get a signal.

Jackie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsiegel said:

We had a better experience in The Restaurant last night. They had already noted that we wanted a faster section and we asked that we be served our courses when we finished and not wait until our friends were finished.  That worked well for all of us.  

We've had room service for breakfast twice and both times they delivered on time and accurately though the almond milk for my coffee curdled when added. Didn't know almond milk would do that. 

We walked by Earth and Ocean last night and they were open, despite the menu delivered to our cabin stating they would be closed. There were only 4 tables dining there. It's scheduled to be open today but heavy rain is threatening. We may give it a try if they are indeed open.

As a side note, when using the ship's wifi I can't get to these boards. I do have an eSim fo Canada, so I use that when I can get a signal.

Jackie

I am glad things are looking up for you a bit!
It is good you have an eSim.
My fingers are crossed for further improvements for you and your travel companions.

As you are a group of at least 4, if you have more Restaurant service trouble, perhaps you could ask the maitre d' to do the same thing for you that he did for viking66 with his group that he described ( i.e., reserve a steady table in a good service section for the whole voyage, for 5 place settings, even though there are only 4 guests).

11 hours ago, jsiegel said:

Jackie

Don't you just hate it when they use old almonds in the milk.😁

• Like 3

We had dinner last night at Earth and Ocean and loved it. That venue is more our vibe. I'm glad it's finally open on the Quest and I'm kicking myself for not having tried it on our previous Seabourn cruise. 

Access to these message boards isn't blocked,  it was a phone issue on my end maybe. Seabourn Source or something seems to kick me out and I have to log in again and choose the included Internet package again. My husband's phone, Galaxy S9, doesn't have this issue but my Galaxy S22 does.  Now I know to check my connection whenever the Internet bugs out on me.

Jackie

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jsiegel said:

We had dinner last night at Earth and Ocean and loved it. That venue is more our vibe. I'm glad it's finally open on the Quest and I'm kicking myself for not having tried it on our previous Seabourn cruise. 

Access to these message boards isn't blocked,  it was a phone issue on my end maybe. Seabourn Source or something seems to kick me out and I have to log in again and choose the included Internet package again. My husband's phone, Galaxy S9, doesn't have this issue but my Galaxy S22 does.  Now I know to check my connection whenever the Internet bugs out on me.

Jackie

Quick question: how chilly is Earth and Ocean for dinner? (We arrive next week). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPH814 said:

Quick question: how chilly is Earth and Ocean for dinner? (We arrive next week). 

It's pretty chilly. They have heat lamps in the covered area but we needed our coats too. Fingerless gloves would have helped. It was very windy last night which did make it feel cooler.  I don't like to be cold but will gladly suffer again for dinner there.

• Like 3

We leave Canada today and arrive tomorrow in Bar Harbor.  Overall the cruise so far has been very good. Other than the one dinner early on at The Restaurant, service at all the venues we've been to has been great. The barrista in Seabourn Square starts my almond milk latte as soon as she sees me. One of the galley staff in the Colonnade started chatting with me yesterday about Alaska (I was wearing a cap from Alaska)  He just transferred from the Sojourn to help out on the Quest.  I think he said he volunteered to go, though he loved the Alaska itinerary and hopes to return to the Sojourn.

I walk up and down the hallways when it's too cold outside to walk on the upper deck. I've only noticed two stools outside cabins. One appeared on day two of the cruise so must have been infected before boarding. The other appeared a few days later.

No complaints from me about the Quest.  The only disappointing meal was at the TK Grill, but I'm not a fan.  We had dinner there last night because our traveling companions had never been before.  However, they do have good drinks. I love the Pisco Sour followed by The Old Cuban.  Tip for those on the smaller ships that want a TK Grill drink but don't have dinner reservations, just ask them for a drink and they'll happily make it for you to take away. They even encouraged me to watch while they make them. The recipes are quite involved. 

Jackie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Terrific news! I am sorry you did not like the TK Grill (we thought it was our best meal, combining service, food quality, and ambience for an outstanding experience).  

I wish DH had known about the option of getting a drink made for takeaway at TK on Quest, as he had struggled to get a decent whiskey sour in various venues (5 tries, then gave up -- and  they were all different), but I didn't know you could just go to the little TK to get one and have them make it there (on Encore, we had done that, because the TK bar is bigger there).

Enjoy the remaining four days of your getaway, and hopefully Covid will stay away from you.

My trip is probably over. I tripped and fell in Halifax and broke my elbow. The ship's doctor advised getting off at the next stop, Bar Harbor, and be evaluated at a hospital for probable surgery. He did an x-ray and put on a temporary cast. So, later I'll be able to report on how Seabourn handles this. I tripped on shore and for legal reasons they couldn't help me and an ambulance never showed after the police called repeatedly.  My husband managed to convince the ship's doctor to give him a splint to stabilize my arm and taxi back to the ship. They did hold the departure for us, last ones on board but they were able to sail on time.  

• Like 2

Horrible.  I am so, so sorry, Jackie and feel for you.

I hope you have a safe return, adequate pain relief, and an excellent orthopedist.

Your story reinforces the seemingly excessive care I take to avoid falls while cruising (I'm more worried about the consequences of falls, especially overseas in unknown harbors, than I am about Covid).

Best wishes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsiegel said:

My trip is probably over. I tripped and fell in Halifax and broke my elbow. ... I tripped on shore and for legal reasons they couldn't help me and an ambulance never showed after the police called repeatedly.  My husband managed to convince the ship's doctor to give him a splint to stabilize my arm and taxi back to the ship. They did hold the departure for us, last ones on board but they were able to sail on time.  

I am terribly sorry you had the fall and were so injured.  I have witnessed before the fact that the ship's medical staff will not come to the aid of a passenger.  I saw it in St. Petersburg.  Finally, the man who fell made it (with a lot of help from others) to the ship.  I was so relieved he was not left in Russia.  

Please update us about what happens in Bar Harbor and the care you receive.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jsiegel said:

My trip is probably over. I tripped and fell in Halifax and broke my elbow. The ship's doctor advised getting off at the next stop, Bar Harbor

Very sorry to learn of this and I hope that you will be properly treated both on the ship and ashore.  

• Like 1

The orthopedist in Bar Harbor said that I could wait for elbow surgery until I get home so we're back on board. Tomorrow is Boston and weather permitting I'll be shopping for tops that will fit over the cast.  The doctor on board has been very conscientious and a nice guy. This morning we had US Customs and Border Control in our stateroom so we could be on the first tender. Everyone else had to wait in lines.  Customer service provided a bag so that I could cover my arm to shower.   I'm looking forward to Earth and Ocean for dinner tonight if I can tolerate the cold as I can't wear my jacket on my left side.  Heading now to afternoon tea and enjoying sailing on the Quest. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, jsiegel said:

The orthopedist in Bar Harbor said that I could wait for elbow surgery until I get home so we're back on board. Tomorrow is Boston and weather permitting I'll be shopping for tops that will fit over the cast.  The doctor on board has been very conscientious and a nice guy. This morning we had US Customs and Border Control in our stateroom so we could be on the first tender. Everyone else had to wait in lines.  Customer service provided a bag so that I could cover my arm to shower.   I'm looking forward to Earth and Ocean for dinner tonight if I can tolerate the cold as I can't wear my jacket on my left side.  Heading now to afternoon tea and enjoying sailing on the Quest. 

Happy you can stay on board! Have them wrap blankets around you at E&O… 

2 hours ago, jsiegel said:

Tomorrow is Boston and weather permitting I'll be shopping for tops that will fit over the cast. 

So happy you are able to stay onboard and finish the cruise. 

Good luck with your shopping for some loose fitting tops. You probably already know this but always put the affected arm into the clothes first. Capes are still in fashion so that may help to put over your clothes and allow you to eat outside. 

22 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Good luck with your shopping for some loose fitting tops.

A few weeks ago, a female friend fell and broke her arm.  She has found that wearing men's shirts have been easier for her to do while her arm is in a sling and is healing.  

• Like 2