Loyalty points

KirkNC

11 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Did a search but could not find the answer to my question.

if you do a B2B, two bookings.  One 22 days, one 58 days for a total of 80 days, do you get 6 or 7 loyalty points.  I am betting 6.

My experience is that one gets the cruise credits for each booking number, not for the sum of the b2b days.

2 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

My experience is that one gets the cruise credits for each booking number, not for the sum of the b2b days.

Yes (if you have 2 booking numbers) but O is in habit of creating a "grand voyage" out of b2b.  In that case it is sum of days that counts.  If you have one booking number it is the sum of days.

In one case we had 2 booking numbers and during the course of time up to the sail date, O created a grand voyage and made it a single booking.  Needless to say we were upset.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

It’s those 10 to 24 day cruises that mess you up. If you’re chasing the free cruise then you’re better off doing 7 to 10 day ones. 

or jump on the ATW cruise for 15 credits  😉

)

6 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Did a search but could not find the answer to my question.

if you do a B2B, two bookings.  One 22 days, one 58 days for a total of 80 days, do you get 6 or 7 loyalty points.  I am betting 6.

Separate cruises are separate cruises. For your bookings you’d get 1 cc on #1 and 5 on #2.

Had you been able to combine them as a custom cruise (one booking number), you’d get 7 cc instead of 6 plus an approx 5% fare discount. However, that longer cruise must be an “extended journey” (and/or you’re in different cabins) and you cannot combine cruises that are already discounted as multi-segment offerings.

F2BA3C11-363F-4C69-B614-B2443CF0AC40.thumb.png.9141ecfd488022fc0c665593f7d9c28d.png

28 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Have a 24 day coming up.   Feel like we are being cheated.  Do you think the home office, when planning, caps a cruise at 24 days.

:

just book shorter cruises   at different times

Yes they probably have the "bean Counters" work out all the probabilities   to cut people from getting a free cruise  quicker 😉

They are in business to make money  after all

They still seem to have a good Loyalty benefits program though

YMMV

4 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

No real complaints , there has to be a cut off somewhere.   It is just interesting that after 24, the additional credits come much quicker..

You are still getting points based of the number of cruises & days cruises

Take 2 cruises  of 24 day days  you get 2 Credits

Take  4 cruises of 7 days  you get 4 credits

Take  1 cruise of 25 days  you get 2 credits

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

or jump on the ATW cruise for 15 credits  😉
)

Yeah, you get a lot at once, but that's one credit every 12 days. 7 day cruises would add up faster, but I hate to get on an airplane for anything less than 14-21 days. On the other hand if you lived close to a port where they went out of on a regular basis the short cruises would be as easy way to get to 20, if that was a person's focus. It really wasn't ours, it just happened. Of course when you get around 14 or 15 it becomes a real possibility.

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

You are still getting points based of the number of cruises & days cruises

Take 2 cruises  of 24 day days  you get 2 Credits

Take  4 cruises of 7 days  you get 4 credits

Take  1 cruise of 25 days  you get 2 credits

I’m wondering if this is a question for Jan1. I seem to recall hearing about a secret algorithm to calculate the state room category one receives for the free 20th cruise. I am imagining that both the length of the cruise and the stateroom category might have an influence on the secret sauce that determines that free cruise! Just guessing.

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

I’m wondering if this is a question for Jan1. I seem to recall hearing about a secret algorithm to calculate the state room category one receives for the free 20th cruise. I am imagining that both the length of the cruise and the stateroom category might have an influence on the secret sauce that determines that free cruise! Just guessing.

I think it is based on the  average cat  you normally sail in

if you have sailed in A cabins  for the most part that is what your free cruise will be in

In the early years  I think anyone  that made it to 20 credit got  a PH or top suite  then too many were getting to the free cruise level so they changed it

it is probably in the fine print  on their web site

No algorithm that I know of.

As I remember it, Book mostly B, you get a B.

In any case, one way to do it is to book a Platinum cruise early enough to get a good cabin (at your usual cabin level) and pay the deposit. Then inform the O Club folks that you want it to be the Platinum one. As it gets close to “final pay,” reconnect with O Club and they issue a new invoice while also returning your deposit. You do get O Club $ perks but no O Life or air.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

Guests are required to notify Reservations when requesting the FREE CRUISE. The awarded FREE CRUISE must be taken on the guest’s milestone cruise and is Cruise-Only, based on double occupancy, subject to availability at the time of booking, is not combinable with public promotions, excludes government taxes and fees and cannot exceed 14 days in length. The FREE CRUISE must be approved and will be placed as a guarantee until stateroom category has been assigned, upon authorization from the Oceania Club. The FREE CRUISE cannot be applied to any of the Around the World Voyages. For cruises over 14 days in length, the cruise cost will be prorated for the additional days. Stateroom category will reflect the accommodations most closely matching the typical category selected by the guests on prior voyages. Reservations for the FREE CRUISE may only be made 180 days or more prior to sail date. Other restrictions may apply.

11 hours ago, ORV said:

It’s those 10 to 24 day cruises that mess you up. If you’re chasing the free cruise then you’re better off doing 7 to 10 day ones. 

Strongly agree...it's high time that 'O' converts to days aboard, like most other cruise lines do, in loyalty points, with possible bonus points for booking suites or other enticements...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Strongly agree...it's high time that 'O' converts to days aboard, like most other cruise lines do, in loyalty points, with possible bonus points for booking suites or other enticements...

By doing that  we may lose a lot of the perks 

be careful what you wish for 🤔

How many days  do you need to get a free bottle of water on main stream lines ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

There’s no reason for O to change. After all, it’s one of the few cruise lines that do a comp cruise. And despite any perceived idiosyncrasies in its O club policies, the “regulars” keep coming back.

As for extra points for more expensive cabins, remember that O prides itself on not having a class system of policies. Moreover, why ever would O want to create passenger ill will among those who would be negatively impacted by such a change.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There’s no reason for O to change. After all, it’s one of the few cruise lines that do a comp cruise. And despite any perceived idiosyncrasies in its O club policies, the “regulars” keep coming back.

As for extra points for more expensive cabins, remember that O prides itself on not having a class system of policies. Moreover, why ever would O want to create passenger ill will among those who would be negatively impacted by such a change.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

True, they don't have to change, but most lines do so, in an effort to remain competitive, and keep abreast of changing trends.   You can never please everyone, but they should try.

I don't feel any ill will, towards passenger's that have the means, and the desire to spend more to get better accommodation's, that carry with them extra perks.  

And apparently 'O' does make some "exclusive" benefits for those:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/suites?s=PS_NEO_STL_GEN_GOO_NA_SRH_NA_oceania cruises suite_NA_US_NA_700000002560947-71700000095799052-58700007859483670-oceania+cruises+suite&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-fmZBhDtARIsAH6H8qgyMjIhqalKKEV7rxosex7rRLeAi2pbVLEYQK-8-G-3m707uTmcYVEaAo9nEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

In addition, not mentioned in the above, are the 'Concierge' lounges on larger 'O' ships...

Edited by bob brown

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No algorithm that I know of.

As I remember it, Book mostly B, you get a B.

In any case, one way to do it is to book a Platinum cruise early enough to get a good cabin (at your usual cabin level) and pay the deposit. Then inform the O Club folks that you want it to be the Platinum one. As it gets close to “final pay,” reconnect with O Club and they issue a new invoice while also returning your deposit. You do get O Club $ perks but no O Life or air.

This is what I did with the exception of letting my excellent TA handle it all. I knew the approximate level of room we would have and booked a B3 extended balcony. In the proper time frame she had in converted to the free cruise. You do have to pay government fees & taxes. This came out of the deposit.  This is about the only time with Oceania that this is broken out separately. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

By doing that  we may lose a lot of the perks 

be careful what you wish for 🤔

How many days  do you need to get a free bottle of water on main stream lines ??

+1

On Royal Caribbean, for example, you will never get SBC or PPG at any level.  It will take average of 4-5 cruises to get to their Emerald level, which will get you a free bottle of water and a snack. 🤨

The benefits of O Club are so much better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bob brown said:

True, they don't have to change, but most lines do so, in an effort to remain competitive, and keep abreast of changing trends.   You can never please everyone, but they should try.

I don't feel any ill will, towards passenger's that have the means, and the desire to spend more to get better accommodation's, that carry with them extra perks.  

And apparently 'O' does make some "exclusive" benefits for those:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/suites?s=PS_NEO_STL_GEN_GOO_NA_SRH_NA_oceania cruises suite_NA_US_NA_700000002560947-71700000095799052-58700007859483670-oceania+cruises+suite&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-fmZBhDtARIsAH6H8qgyMjIhqalKKEV7rxosex7rRLeAi2pbVLEYQK-8-G-3m707uTmcYVEaAo9nEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

In addition, not mentioned in the above, are the 'Concierge' lounges on larger 'O' ships...

The few extra perks for upper level cabins are mostly “throwaways.” The key factor is that there’s no dining venue exclusively for those cabins.

I trust you’re aware that on the larger O ships, some B cabins have extended balconies not found in A or most PH cabins?  IMO, that alone is reason enough to opt for the “lower” fare.

In any case, history shows that O policies and practices work well enough that most of their cruises (in non-pandemic times) are full and the passenger load is 70%+ repeaters.

Again: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

681A575B-0542-432C-9241-649FB926E429.jpeg

28E343C6-0B9E-494D-AD9D-7A71F99B90B8.jpeg

• Like 2