Who watched the Real Love Boat?

Roatanfans

7 hours ago, MrSchwump said:

Anyone else still watching this train wreck? It’s so bad that I can’t stop watching. Then again, I like hospital food. 

Does the Captain remind anyone else, especially voice-wise, of Borat? Especially when he says “Ciao for now!” I keep waiting for a “Very nice!”  

Man, that Marty turned into a head case!  Had high hopes for him and Emily. 

I can’t stop either.  He is disturbing.  I couldn’t believe her was telling Emily- I let you talk to……..that made my skin crawl!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrSchwump said:

Emily was the nurse who was a virgin. Marty looked kinda dopey, like Mr Bingley from the Kiera Knightly version of Pride & Prejudice. 

Thanks!  I vaguely can picture her.  The other couple I remember was Shae-Lynn (not sure of spelling) and ?  Yesterday after posting I went to google and saw the Wikipedia entry.  It showed each person and each episode who they were coupled with.  Interesting. Not sure how the show is supposed to end.  Will there be a "winner"?

20 hours ago, dickinson said:

Thanks!  I vaguely can picture her.  The other couple I remember was Shae-Lynn (not sure of spelling) and ?  Yesterday after posting I went to google and saw the Wikipedia entry.  It showed each person and each episode who they were coupled with.  Interesting. Not sure how the show is supposed to end.  Will there be a "winner"?

ShayLynn and Daniel. I’m not sure how this is supposed to end. They kick people off but bring new people on. 

I enjoy seeing the ship and the ports but it is a bad show. 

2 hours ago, MrSchwump said:

ShayLynn and Daniel. I’m not sure how this is supposed to end. They kick people off but bring new people on. 

I enjoy seeing the ship and the ports but it is a bad show. 

If I remember correctly Wikipedia said there were to be 12 episodes.  I think it said 10 have already been shown so it is almost over.

2 hours ago, dickinson said:

If I remember correctly Wikipedia said there were to be 12 episodes.  I think it said 10 have already been shown so it is almost over.

But this thread will live forever, way longer than the show (which is already off of CBS.)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

In case some are interested in catching up for free, there is a 30 day free promo code that expires on 2/28/23.  The code is Evolution.

thanks for this although not sure I want to watch that many episodes wi/in 30 days to catch up.  I might just watch the last few of the series.  there is also another show on there that I would like to see.  

Edited by dickinson

On 12/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, MrSchwump said:

Anyone else still watching this train wreck? It’s so bad that I can’t stop watching. Then again, I like hospital food. 

Does the Captain remind anyone else, especially voice-wise, of Borat? Especially when he says “Ciao for now!” I keep waiting for a “Very nice!”  

Man, that Marty turned into a head case!  Had high hopes for him and Emily. 

I'm the same..... What a train wreck, but I keep watching!  I wonder if Princess had an advertising campaign built around this and now will have to scrap it?

I enjoy looking up the various cabins that are shown to see the layout, etc.  

Funny also to see them use venues like the disco, but the participants are the only ones there.  Were they filming at odd hours of the day?  

7 hours ago, shipsealand said:

Watched briefly and then had to switch off.  Very poorly done show.  Gives cruising a bad name.  Good thing that we can still see the original Love Boat.

Makes you wonder what they were thinking at Princess when they decided this show would be a good idea. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Makes you wonder what they were thinking at Princess when they decided this show would be a good idea. 🤦‍♂️

Everybody that lambasts the show are older seasoned cruisers that are not the demographic that the show was going after. Seasoned cruisers either move up the food chain, diversify their cruise line horizontally or stick with Princess only as a certain percentage will do.

New younger cruisers need to be obtained and this was the target market that Princess was going for.  The 25-35 crowd that likes to vacation a bit upscale and has the discretionary income to do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Everybody that lambasts the show are older seasoned cruisers that are not the demographic that the show was going after. Seasoned cruisers either move up the food chain, diversify their cruise line horizontally or stick with Princess only as a certain percentage will do.

New younger cruisers need to be obtained and this was the target market that Princess was going for.  The 25-35 crowd that likes to vacation a bit upscale and has the discretionary income to do it.

And the show was so not appealing that it did not take long for CBS to cancel it and just burn off the remaining episodes on paramount +. And that is after CBS really. really heavily pushed it in their commercials prior to the show's debut. Does not sound to me like they reached any audience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Provide your source backing up your WAG. CC isn't. I hated the original Love Boat show when it first aired in 1977 and still hate the theme song. 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And the show was so not appealing that it did not take long for CBS to cancel it and just burn off the remaining episodes on paramount +. And that is after CBS really. really heavily pushed it in their commercials prior to the show's debut. Does not sound to me like they reached any audience.

There are quite a few people who use Paramount +, as there are several hit shows that reside only there: Yellowstone, Star Trek Strange New Worlds, The Good Fight and Tulsa King to name two...

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

There are quite a few people who use Paramount +, as there are several hit shows that reside only there: Yellowstone, Star Trek Strange New Worlds, The Good Fight and Tulsa King to name two...

🤣 How many people do you think are paying the fee for Paramount + because The New Love Boat is available there? At the start of the tv season, CBS heavily advertised 3 new shows, The New Love Boat, East New York (which I watch and is very good), and Fire Country. All 3 are on Paramount + but only 1 of the 3 has been cancelled on CBS, and is now only available on Paramount +. Why do you think that has happened?

• Thanks 1

In answer to your "who watched the original love boat" which most of the respondents seem to be ignoring - yeas I have watched it a few times.  Even with the little that we expect from the supposedly "classic" TV series, it was a really dump, stupid show.  There is lots more good classic TV out there.

DON

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Provide your source backing up your WAG. CC isn't. I hated the original Love Boat show when it first aired in 1977 and still hate the theme song. 

Davekathy.....I think you're in the minority since there were 250 episodes over 10 seasons and has been in reruns ever since. Not many shows have 250 episodes. Obviously millions of people enjoyed the show even though over 95% were shot on a Hollywood soundstage and the cast usually only took one actual cruise each year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

🤣 How many people do you think are paying the fee for Paramount + because The New Love Boat is available there? At the start of the tv season, CBS heavily advertised 3 new shows, The New Love Boat, East New York (which I watch and is very good), and Fire Country. All 3 are on Paramount + but only 1 of the 3 has been cancelled on CBS, and is now only available on Paramount +. Why do you think that has happened?

East New York and Fire Country are aimed at CBS's hardcore demographic, those that are 40+.  With the exception of Love Island, there aren't really any shows in the CBS lineup that goes after the 20-40 crowd.  CBS tried with the New Love Boat and failed, plain and simple.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Davekathy.....I think you're in the minority since there were 250 episodes over 10 seasons and has been in reruns ever since. Not many shows have 250 episodes. Obviously millions of people enjoyed the show even though over 95% were shot on a Hollywood soundstage and the cast usually only took one actual cruise each year.

Sounds like a good trivia Q&A. Darn, looks like I missed the boat/ship. 😂 I recently tried to watch an old rerun. Nope, still didn't care for it. 

Edited by davekathy

23 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Based on the ratings, and the quick cancellation, whatever the target market was ... Princess missed them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1