Live from Coral Princess - Round Australia October 2022

Just now, JohnGc said:

Out of curiosity is the medical on board for Covid free of charge ?   I know RCI stated a while back that anything Covid related would be no charge, not sure if that is still the case.

Yes, all Covid treatment and testing is free of charge. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unfortunately my PCR test today was positive. 😪 So I'm stuck in our cabin for a few more days. Then they'll do another test and hopefully that will be negative.

At the moment I just feel like I've got a very bad head cold - sore throat, stuffy sinuses, the odd sneeze, and an occasional cough. My temperature was normal this morning.

So we'll miss a formal night tonight but at least there is my favourite duck a l'orange on the menu. 

Hi Julie,  I've been following you on this thread.  Sorry to read you returned a positive PCR.  If it helps, the same happened to me several weeks ago on our Oceania cruise (Baltics).  We both had to isolate immediately, even though Mario didn't test positive for a day or two.  Excellent medical care, and I was prescribed Paxlovid, an antibiotic (for the upper respiratory infection the virus causes) and a decongestant/expectorant syrup.  All worked wonders.  Mario tested positive just the day we disembarked, so missed out on all these medications.  Actually, he sailed (pun apology) through it with nothing more than a slight head cold for a few days.  Our close friend who's a doctor says the real secret is being quad-vaxxed, the best pro-active protection.  Hope you have the same result from your meds, and the same wish for Rolf, should he succomb.  Not every close contact does.  Good luck, we'll be thinking of you.

Linda

• Like 3

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unfortunately my PCR test today was positive. 😪 So I'm stuck in our cabin for a few more days. Then they'll do another test and hopefully that will be negative.

At the moment I just feel like I've got a very bad head cold - sore throat, stuffy sinuses, the odd sneeze, and an occasional cough. My temperature was normal this morning.

So we'll miss a formal night tonight but at least there is my favourite duck a l'orange on the menu. 

Get well soon Julie, get as much rest as you can. Hopefully the weather remains fine so you can spend some time on your balcony. Hope the anti-virals help.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Very sorry to hear you are positive Julie. You are missing the shipboard life now. What also saddens me is that no doubt many pax on board are being super careful, avoiding theatre, tenders, crowded areas, not sharing meal tables etc.  Thus missing out on a lot.   

I hope you and the others in iso get better soon and continue on with your journey.  

At least you missed the big rains on the east coast, we got 120mm in 24 hrs Mon/Tue down this way.  Bit of flooding.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've just been talking to the doctor. Apparently I'm a good candidate for anti-virals so they are sending them up. I have to stop taking my cholesterol meds while I'm on the five day course of anti-virals.

Sorry to hear about your +ve test! Hopefully the paxlovid does the job. Just be aware of rebound positivity, where you test negative after a week or so, then get very mild symptoms and test positive again at around fortnight. It's very common with the antivirals (it happened to Joe Biden), and you may be slightly infectious, so be careful around anyone vulnerable for a couple of weeks. 

I'm also pleased to hear they're offering antivirals onboard. My elderly Mum wants to cruise but I'm very concerned she wouldn't be able to get them onboard, which rules out a longer sailing. Searching the forums for 'paxlovid OR antivirals' and it seems you getting them (and not having to pay) is quite unique. 

• Like 3

Hope you will feel better soon. We did b2b cruises on the Enchanted Princess in August and September for some 22 days at sea and did not catch anything. But caught covid from my grandson at home a couple of weeks ago. It was very mild (maybe because I had just received my 3rd booster - the new bivalent vaccine), just a day or two of feeling congested and some chills but no fever. Did not have to take any medication. So really you can catch this thing anywhere, anytime. I hope your case is just as mild as mine was. Speedy recovery.

• Like 3

Just now, CDaze71 said:

Julie do you have to quarantine for 5 more days from your positive test date (yesterday) or your first symptoms date  and iso of two days before? 

Initially they said five days from first symptoms but yesterday they said they will retest me on the 30th which is more than five days. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Initially they said five days from first symptoms but yesterday they said they will retest me on the 30th which is more than five days. 

On our recent cruise on the Grand Princess the clock started the day you tested positive.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Take care Julie, enjoy your room service and iso credits.

Do you want Karl's email 🤣

I've just been contacted on FB by a journalist from Cruise Passenger who complimented me on my positive attitude to Covid on Coral and who wants to know if I'm interested in making some comments towards and article to counteract the recent negative press.

I'll probably reply to her shortly.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've just been contacted on FB by a journalist from Cruise Passenger who complimented me on my positive attitude to Covid on Coral and who wants to know if I'm interested in making some comments towards and article to counteract the recent negative press.

I'll probably reply to her shortly.

Please reply to her.🙂 Hope you are fully recovered soon and that Rolf doesn't catch the 'lurgy'.

• Like 2

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Please reply to her.🙂 Hope you are fully recovered soon and that Rolf doesn't catch the 'lurgy'.

I have, and I will be working through the list of questions she has asked during the afternoon.

• Like 2

I started taking the anti-virals last night. It may be coincidence but my throat feels much better today and my nose isn't clogged up as much. However I am sneezing more and have occasional coughing fits. Having a minisuite is making it easier to sit in a different area of the cabin than Rolf - he sits at the far end of the sofa and I sit on the bed. We do have to sit near each other for meals though. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I started taking the anti-virals last night. It may be coincidence but my throat feels much better today and my nose isn't clogged up as much. However I am sneezing more and have occasional coughing fits. Having a minisuite is making it easier to sit in a different area of the cabin than Rolf - he sits at the far end of the sofa and I sit on the bed. We do have to sit near each other for meals though. 

As you have been so much together, I would think it quite likely Rolf will contract Covid too, if he hasn't already. Glad your throat is feeling better Julie. Your symptoms are very much like I had in May with my bout. Hopefully you won't feel as tired as I did though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It won't be a coincidence - the anti-virals work very quickly and ease that awful congestion in the head etc. I hope you can get some cough syrup from the doctor to help with the cough.

The rebound infection is a real thing. I was testing negative after the antivirals but within a few days I started to feel ill again and tested positive again. So something to watch out for.

You're very brave speaking to the journalist. I'd be worried I'd be mis-quoted!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wanderers2 said:

On our recent cruise on the Grand Princess the clock started the day you tested positive.

We are on the Grand Princess in November so was interested in your recent cruise, was the virus a problem on your journey?

We were on the Coral for 12 days last month but managed to stay well.

The cruise was very good with most passengers and all staff wearing masks.

Regards Heather 

• Like 1

Just now, possum52 said:

As you have been so much together, I would think it quite likely Rolf will contract Covid too, if he hasn't already. Glad your throat is feeling better Julie. Your symptoms are very much like I had in May with my bout. Hopefully you won't feel as tired as I did though.

Yes, although his immune system is better than mine. He rarely catches colds and flus when I have them. Fingers crossed it's the same with Covid.

• Like 2

Just now, LittleFish1976 said:

It won't be a coincidence - the anti-virals work very quickly and ease that awful congestion in the head etc. I hope you can get some cough syrup from the doctor to help with the cough.

The rebound infection is a real thing. I was testing negative after the antivirals but within a few days I started to feel ill again and tested positive again. So something to watch out for.

You're very brave speaking to the journalist. I'd be worried I'd be mis-quoted!

I have some cough tablets that work very well but thanks for the advice.

I'll watch out for a rebound infection. Hopefully if it does happen it won't occur until we're back home.

I've seen Cruise Passenger articles in the past and they are very balanced and fair.

• Like 3

Hi Aussieflyer from Barton;  it’s great to be back in our wonderful town, even with all the potholes which seem to have expanded and multiplied while we were away.  The road in Weston Park near to us is like an obstacle course.

• Haha 1