RAT testing before boarding

2 hours ago, vozzie said:

So, how are they verifying RAT tests in the terminal?

Initially, asking you about your test and its result. Then, randomly or if they concerned about your response, they will ask you to show the required photo you took of your test (with time stamp and photo ID).

Any of the apps that ask for an upload as proof do not tick that box in the terminal, and the above is still required as part of check-in.

2 hours ago, vozzie said:

Just received an email from Carnival re 21Nov cruise....and RAT Tests are still required 24hrs beforehand.

We cruise Friday with P&O & have to prove out test with a photo with date & time along side our Id

Interesting Princess has been asking to do a photo with a clock in the background to show the time. It made no sense whatsoever, but we get an "urgent" boarding information text today - needs a date reference in the photo.

I will cover both by putting the test and ID beside my Outlook calendar for the photos.

15 hours ago, arxcards said:

Interesting Princess has been asking to do a photo with a clock in the background to show the time. It made no sense whatsoever, but we get an "urgent" boarding information text today - needs a date reference in the photo.

I will cover both by putting the test and ID beside my Outlook calendar for the photos.

We've set our lock screens on our phones to show date and time and just activate that when taking the photos. 

On 10/15/2022 at 11:19 AM, arxcards said:

Initially, asking you about your test and its result. Then, randomly or if they concerned about your response, they will ask you to show the required photo you took of your test (with time stamp and photo ID).

Any of the apps that ask for an upload as proof do not tick that box in the terminal, and the above is still required as part of check-in.

So just reading     .. what you upload as proof  means nought at the termial ??

It that right.......   If  so ...so what's the point ???

All one can do it take the photo with camera and print it out...... hopes that's ok

Cheers Don    with now only 16 days to go

17 hours ago, arxcards said:

Perhaps they caught a few shonks out who did not really do RATS but printed out a photo from the vast selection internet and the check in staff got tired of seeing the same photo, lol.  

I was just chatting with someone on Ovation in a few weeks and out of confusion they called Royal.

This doesn’t make any sense but Royal told them not to worry about a RAT as they will be tested at OPT.

The only thing I can think is a verbal test ,they can’t test 4,000 people.

25 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was just chatting with someone on Ovation in a few weeks and out of confusion they called Royal.

This doesn’t make any sense but Royal told them not to worry about a RAT as they will be tested at OPT.

The only thing I can think is a verbal test ,they can’t test 4,000 people.

Agreed. The advice from the call centre shows that they do'n't know what they are talking about. They can't test 4,000 people and it is possible some of them would test positive. What a recipe for a disaster if it was to be done that way. 

Edited by Aus Traveller

51 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. The advice from the call centre shows that they do'n't know what they are talking about. They can't test 4,000 people and it is possible some of them would test positive. What a recipe for a disaster if it was to be done that way. 

Testing 4000 pax at OPT, ye gods, the queues would go from the OPT to Central Railway Station, lol.

Just got off Pacific Explorer and although we offered it twice they did not seem at all interested in our Rats  it was a non event   Masks were more than recommended but still people ignored it   glad there was only 50% occupancy on board

2 hours ago, windsor26 said:

Just got off Pacific Explorer and although we offered it twice they did not seem at all interested in our Rats  it was a non event   Masks were more than recommended but still people ignored it   glad there was only 50% occupancy on board

Slack pax.😷

7 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

All one can do it take the photo with camera and print it out...... hopes that's ok

I think they do random checks. I recall Mic saying he'd been asked to show his RAT photo during check-in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Correct Don.

You can upload your Vax certificate, but they still want to sight it in the terminal (on phone or printed).

You can upload your RAT and health info, but they will still ask you in the terminal.

You can upload a photo of your date stamped RAT with photo ID, which they may randomly check in the terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am rather confused about it all.is it 48 hours before you leave your home state for the cruise.like if ones on say a 6am or a 10am flight to connect on day of travel is it done 48 hours early via home tests or should it time wise be done based on what time the ship sails ex Sydney or Brisbane.My phone cannot print off a date in the corner and I don't have a polaroid for printing anything pic wise.

32 minutes ago, nermal9900 said:

I am rather confused about it all.is it 48 hours before you leave your home state for the cruise.like if ones on say a 6am or a 10am flight to connect on day of travel is it done 48 hours early via home tests or should it time wise be done based on what time the ship sails ex Sydney or Brisbane.My phone cannot print off a date in the corner and I don't have a polaroid for printing anything pic wise.

Hi, yes it's all very confusing. I'm a stickler for rules and I worked back 24 actual hours from boarding time. If you are in a different time zone I doubt staff would pick up on that, but best to be on the safe side and do everything by the book to ensure you can board.

Are you travelling with anyone else who has a cellphone that you can place beside your test strip, along with ID, for the photo? If not, you could use the day's newspaper and a watch or clock for the date and time.

If you're really concerned you could pay to get a supervised RAT test.

My personal view is that these protocols have been developed on the hoof as some sort of blend between the US "upload proof" and the Aus "attest" rules. The Aus photo rules mean nothing because they can still be fudged (you can manually set any date or time on a phone).

These rules cause honest people a lot of unnecessary stress when more than likely they won't ask to see your photo. Not sure how people who don't have a photo capable cellphone manage 🤔

Best of luck with good weather and a very enjoyable cruise. I  think most of us who have already cruised found, despite worries and what if concerns, boarding was fast, stress free and nothing at all to have worried about 😊

1 hour ago, nermal9900 said:

Does a family member or friend have a phone to take photo of yours and text you photo? Wouldn't need a printout. My phone has date but no year on front screen so really not a full date but would probably suffice, but I just google 'date and time in Sydney ' and it comes up in large print - suitable to put beside RAT and ID.