might have been asked,,, pools on ships in Alaska

saleaaway

It is going to vary by cruise line. Best to ask on the board for the relevant cruise line.

On HAL, the cover will be open if weather allows. Otherwise it will be closed. The pools will be open as on any sailing (open every day, unless closed for maintenance), and most likely will be heated as needed.

49 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am not aware of any ship (of any significant size) which does not have an enclosed pool.

Several Princess ships including their newest ships do not have a covered pool. 

Covered pools aren’t common on NCL either.

Edited by Aquahound

5 hours ago, saleaaway said:

I'm sure this has been discussed but do most ships that travel to Alaska have their pools closed. Or covered?

Silly question I know.  thanks

I think you are asking if the pools are open for business as opposed to are they inside under a roof.  If so, yes, they are open.  My Alaska cruise was shorts and T-shirt weather, but I suspect they would be open even if cold & rainy.   I've never seen a pool closed on any cruise line on any itinerary for weather other than rough seas. 

Our Alaska cruise on Serenade A couple of weeks ago the pools were crowded.

We were also just on Serenade Panama Canal and the first time at least for us that the Solarium roof was opened...so extremely humid I think was the reason.

19 hours ago, saleaaway said:

I'm sure this has been discussed but do most ships that travel to Alaska have their pools closed. Or covered?

Silly question I know.  thanks

Many do, and I do not necessary think it is by cruise line, but by the class of ship. I know some of the older HAL ships (we were on the old Statendam back in 2001 for an Alaska northbound) have a see through retractable covering they kept over the pool. Still, because it was May and cooler, and very few children on board, hardly anyone was swimming. We loved it for the hot tub. It was very fun to be there at 11 pm and it still be daylight. We loved that.

This summer we were on Carnival Pride for the British Isles. I noticed they had one too, but they only had the pool deck covered when we were in Northern Scotland where LOL!   where it was colder in July than Alaska in May. Like Alaska though, it stayed daylight very late, and the sun rose early. However, lol! the cold did not keep the many kids form swimming there! or going on those slides they had on another deck.

I do know not all ships (even within a line) have the retractable glass see through roof so maybe you can ask here on the specific cruise line boards before you book your cruise if you want that for Alaska.

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The covered pools on Celebrity M and S class ships are adults only.  Sometimes if the weather is bad they will allow children in for an hour or two.  EM

Essie, RCI ships have covered adult only pool areas too but I think he means that retractable roof that some ships have on the main pool deck. You know, where you can still see a plane flying overhead.