Unhappy about having to check in on Medallion app

Travelw

Sorry if this was covered before.  My wife and I are in our 70’s and not especially tech savvy.  It was a horrible experience to check in on the app.  It is not user friendly at all.  The need to upload passports, vaccine cards and pictures is crazy.  What happened to the good old days when you showed up at the cruise terminal and handed the required documents to a person.  
in my opinion, cruises are not any cheaper now than when they had more staff.  I know other cruise lines are doing the same thing, but we are not a fan.  

• Like 7

I don't use the APP and have been on 4 cruises since start up post covid. There is a web version to use on your computer in your personalizer. There is a phone tech if you call the regular Princess line and choose Ocean Ready choice. There is also the option to just bring your passport and boarding pass to the desk at the pier to check in which adds a whooping 2-5 minutes to your check in process. 

• Like 4

Agree, let’s them employ fewer people.  Also, in our opinion, the medallion is just a way for Princess to track you.  See what you do and where on the ship you go.  If I want a drink or something to eat I do not need someone to know where I am to bring it to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed being able to find my husband, LOL   He notoriously would stop to look at something when we were walking around.   The rest of us would decide to go do something and we would have no idea where he was.   The last few cruises with the medallions, we were able to find him, LOL

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Travelw said:

Sorry if this was covered before.  My wife and I are in our 70’s and not especially tech savvy.  It was a horrible experience to check in on the app.  It is not user friendly at all.  The need to upload passports, vaccine cards and pictures is crazy.  What happened to the good old days when you showed up at the cruise terminal and handed the required documents to a person.  
in my opinion, cruises are not any cheaper now than when they had more staff.  I know other cruise lines are doing the same thing, but we are not a fan.  

I would suggest you do the online version of the App.  Go to your cruise personalizer. Click on checkin…you will see the buttons to download the App , look just below…It says Try our website version…small blue letters. Click on that.

Enter your Name date and booking number. Where you can do most of the checkin.

There is no longer a boarding pass.  You should print out your luggage tags and travel summary…just like the old days.

This will help you during the checkin!

You can call PCL, first thing in the morning and have them enter information for you.  Or, take your travel summary, luggage tags, passports and all documents required and checkin  at the port.  No reason to stress over this.

Do what you can ahead of time and leave the rest to them.  It really only takes a few minutes.

If you’re just having a problem uploading documents on the App.  No worries. Do it at the port.

Any questions let us know.

BTW, we had to checkin online, even on the good old days too.  Unless you’re going Waaay back.  Then IDK. 😆

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 2

We got through it eventually.  Took over 2 hours for two couples.  I was not aware that you could go to the port and have them do everything.  Thought that check in needed to be completed ahead of time, whether the medallion was mailed to you or picked up at the port.

2 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

You absolutely can just bring your documents with you and check in with the old manner.  They will also give you a cruise card, if you prefer that over the medallion.

Exactly what I would say.

• Like 3

We don't use the App pre cruise.  Ironically our last boarding (in Southampton) our blue line was quite short and the green line was quite long. We don't mind the App once on board, but pre-cruise it took me less than 5 minutes to determine it was a lengthy waste of time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Travelw said:

We got through it eventually.  Took over 2 hours for two couples.  I was not aware that you could go to the port and have them do everything.  Thought that check in needed to be completed ahead of time, whether the medallion was mailed to you or picked up at the port.

Princess absolutely seems to go out of their way to make it seem like you *have* to do the check in via the app...and as everybody else has already stated, that's hogwash!  Just follow the advice given above by @PacnGoNow

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The Medallion App is a total joke.  Last three Princess cruises is has not worked except for opening the cabin door, and that was problematic.  Period.  

The App check-in "requirement" is simply another was Princess is placing more onus on the passenger than on the crew.

The medallion opens the door, not the app. Two different things. You do not need to ever use the app, just use the medallion like the old cruise card.

What was problematic about opening the door?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting - maybe this is an easier way

I am reasonably tech savvy and after 3 tries was able to completely check in my DW and myself.

How?

I used my phone and called Princess using my CELL phone.

How long did it take?

About 25 minutes including taking and uploading our security photos.  They entered all the data.

How about the Medallion?

Was asked if we wanted it mailed or to pick up at the pier.  

What if I do not have a cell phone?

Everything except the security photos can be quickly accomplished on a landline.  Do the photo at the pier.

What about luggage tags?

Show something with your cabin number at the pier.  They will tag them for you.

• Thanks 1

I was definitely on the nay-sayer's list when I first used the Medallion Class App.  Everything that could go wrong, did.  I spent hours and hours and hours and emails trying to resolve simple tasks to get ready for my first post pandemic / first Medallion Class app cruise.

I thought that I would never use it again.  

First cruise was a b2b.  No issues with app or medallion coin while onboard.  (Well, a few minor glitches that were resolved onboard).

Third cruise was another b2b.  Only issue was the medallion itself dying on me just hours before my cruise ended.  Again, fixed.

Fifth cruise.  Wow...worked like a charm. ALL information remained on file.  Even my sister's information from a cancelled cruise was there.  I could pick an arrival time 59 days out.  I could order the medallions.  Even credit card information remained as did vaccination cards.  

I fall in the middle when it comes to using all of the features.   The Medallion Class App has many sub-categories. 

*  Ocean Ready is used to get onboard (optional).  You can use the website or choose to bring your documents with you to the port.

*. Journey View/Ocean Now/Ocean Compass/Play Ocean are selections you can use while you are onboard.

*. Medallion (round disk) is used to open your door, get on/off the ship, buy things at the store, aka:  same as a cruise card.

Princess has a problem using words that often confuse people:

Medallion Medallion Class App

Mini-suite : Full Suite

• Like 1

Hello everyone I’ve been very frustrated with this app for Princess myself this is the first cruise I’ve been on that I had to do this I can’t tell you how many phone calls I had to make an asked my travel agent questions and when I called the one 800 number for help from princess all they did was transfer talk to the girl on the phone she was extremely rude and abrupt and Transfer me for one person to the other I still don’t have luggage tags to print out for my cruise coming soon so I will just go to the terminal and get them there instead of making things easier they’re making things more complicated and when I talk to the girl on the phone she was extremely rude and abrupt and fresh I said this is no way to plan and have a vacation and she had the nerve to tell me you’re not on vacation yet  . Everyone doesn’t have a phone and I am in my early 60s and I’m not familiar with all this technology and I don’t have any children or grandchildren or anyone else to ask for help it’s very frustrating and I’ve spent too much time on it it is not computer friendly at all or easy to navigate yes I don’t think we should have to use it if we choose not to I don’t need big brother on the cruise ship knowing every move I make where I’m going that’s just another way for them to do marketing to see where you’re going and what you’re doing and spending your money on another invasion of privacy but now I see all the cruise lines are trying to go to this new technology probably to save manpower . But it’s wrong on so many levels I am glad to see that other people feel the same way I do not that I want anyone else to experience a moment of problems but this is not working just another way to try to track people and save money

13 minutes ago, uncleboo said:

Hello everyone I’ve been very frustrated with this app for Princess myself this is the first cruise I’ve been on that I had to do this I can’t tell you how many phone calls I had to make an asked my travel agent questions and when I called the one 800 number for help from princess all they did was transfer talk to the girl on the phone she was extremely rude and abrupt and Transfer me for one person to the other I still don’t have luggage tags to print out for my cruise coming soon so I will just go to the terminal and get them there instead of making things easier they’re making things more complicated and when I talk to the girl on the phone she was extremely rude and abrupt and fresh I said this is no way to plan and have a vacation and she had the nerve to tell me you’re not on vacation yet  . Everyone doesn’t have a phone and I am in my early 60s and I’m not familiar with all this technology and I don’t have any children or grandchildren or anyone else to ask for help it’s very frustrating and I’ve spent too much time on it it is not computer friendly at all or easy to navigate yes I don’t think we should have to use it if we choose not to I don’t need big brother on the cruise ship knowing every move I make where I’m going that’s just another way for them to do marketing to see where you’re going and what you’re doing and spending your money on another invasion of privacy but now I see all the cruise lines are trying to go to this new technology probably to save manpower . But it’s wrong on so many levels I am glad to see that other people feel the same way I do not that I want anyone else to experience a moment of problems but this is not working just another way to try to track people and save money

And breathe! 

Perhaps you could edit your post. A few more sentences and a couple of paragraphs would help.  

Just too difficult to read as posted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Princess absolutely seems to go out of their way to make it seem like you *have* to do the check in via the app...and as everybody else has already stated, that's hogwash! 

Hope any of these ANTI-MEDALLION folks do not plan to take a cruise to Australia -- even a port call.

To apply for an Australian ETA, one is required to use the Australian App and scan info etc.  One does have the option to apply for  an Australian VISA instead of ETA, pay $150, and get an approval in 3 to 4 weeks instead of 10 minutes for an ETA. It is time even for the older folks to change attitudes because other cruise lines will soon go to the Medallion route. Sorry if this post offends a lot of posters.

Edited by sultan_sfo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, uncleboo said:

Your frustrations are coming in loud but not clear.  I am going to try to answer a few of your concerns (that have been well documented on many threads).

YOU do not need to have a phone (unless traveling to Australia).  YOU can take all of your documents with you to the port and someone will check you in.

YOU can print out your luggage tags by signing in to your web based Personalizer.

YOU can ask for a old fashion cruise card to open your cabin door.  Big Brother won't be watching you then.  But neither will YOU get the benefits of the medallion (different from Medallion app).

I hope you will enjoy your cruise once on board.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sultan_sfo said:

Hope any of these ANTI-MEDALLION folks do not plan to take a cruise to Australia -- even a port call.

To apply for an Australian ETA, one is required to use the Australian App and scan info etc.  One does have the option to apply for  an Australian VISA instead of ETA, pay $150, and get an approval in 3 to 4 weeks instead of 10 minutes for an ETA. It is time even for the older folks to change attitudes because other cruise lines will soon go to the Medallion route. Sorry if this post offends a lot of posters.

I'm in my mid 70s and have had no problems using the app. I have been able to enter all the pertinent info for my wife and I, including our photos and images of passports and vaccine cards and barcodes. Using the app also allowed us to book all of our restaurants months in advance, including which dining room, the time, and the size of table. Specialty dining has also been reserved on the app. 

I found the process easy. I do have a 'let's have fun with this' attitude towards learning new things, including tech stuff, instead of fighting it and hating it before even starting. I think it makes the process so much easier when a person doesn't start with a negative attitude.

But that's just me. I refuse to let my old age cause me to be a prisoner to fear of technology and allowing it to intimidate me from enjoying things that are new and different. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @sloopsailer 

I haven't sailed on Princess for a few years but booked a cruise yesterday.  One thing I discovered PDQ, is that I needed to delete the version of the Medallion app I had on my tablet and reinstall.... the app had not been updating as is usually the case. 

It worked great and, like you say, pretty straight-forward to get my wife and I in the Green lane along with dinjng reservations and a few other things I needed to take care of due to not choosing the 'all included' option for our reservation.  We don't drink so an a-la-carte approach to covering soft drinks, gratuities and wi-fi ended up saving us about 800 USD for a 15 day cruise.

Also, the PC worked fine too, but I thought I'd give the app a go mainly out of curiousity.⁹

• Like 3