World Club Cocktail Party

Marronnier

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered.

We will be on our first 'post-covid' (I know it's not over!) crossing on the QM2 next month and I was wondering what if anything has replaced the Cunard World Club cocktail parties.

Thanks for any information you can offer 

On our 10-day Alaska cruise on the QE we had the free bubbles one night, maybe two. On a more recent seven-day voyage on the QM2 there was nothing at all.

I find it amusing that Cunard is fine with passengers sitting close together in some restaurants, the Queens Room at afternoon tea, on tenders, etc. but the parties were cancelled due to COVID.  Some of the parties were crowded, but the senior officers party, in my experience, was always sparsely populated. Even if the senior officers do not attend - it can be renamed - it seems to me the only reason the receptions for the highest ranking loyal passengers are cancelled is to save money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

On our 10-day Alaska cruise on the QE we had the free bubbles one night, maybe two. On a more recent seven-day voyage on the QM2 there was nothing at all.

I find it amusing that Cunard is fine with passengers sitting close together in some restaurants, the Queens Room at afternoon tea, on tenders, etc. but the parties were cancelled due to COVID.  Some of the parties were crowded, but the senior officers party, in my experience, was always sparsely populated. Even if the senior officers do not attend - it can be renamed - it seems to me the only reason the receptions for the highest ranking loyal passengers are cancelled is to save money.

I fully agree. Cunard should take a leaf out of Celebrity's book where, just two weeks ago, we attended a Captain's Club Party...

1002390209_CaptainsClubParty.thumb.jpg.569c83bf7da6f108a2043330041c3c88.jpg

Okay, it was on 'The Lawn' in open air but there's the challenge for innovation on Cunard ships.

• Like 2

On Seabourn we had both the Captains party and the loyalty party - it's a smaller ship so maybe that's why they are doing the parties again, but it was really nice to attend them again. The glass of fizz at dinner, and the bottle of Pol Acker in your cabin really just doesn't do it for me.

• Like 2

Silversea are also on the Ball too ,  with their Captains  reception and Loyalty receptions, including ( I witnessed)  the occasional officer dining with guests in the evening .

Saga have been on the Ball with their receptions for several weeks now .

Edited by Bell Boy

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Who cares whether they come back certainly not me. The ones I have been always serve cheap wine and find it hilarious watching some cruisers sucking up to officers.

I'm not bothered either but in the past we have had  great chats with officers if they happen to be in our vicinity. It's far from sucking up to anyone,  it's called being sociable. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm not bothered either but in the past we have had  great chats with officers if they happen to be in our vicinity. It's far from sucking up to anyone,  it's called being sociable. 🙂

That is fair enough I certainly wouldnt be ignorant with polite chat but it is laughable those that race to dance floor and push their way into standing by senior officers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

That is fair enough I certainly wouldnt be ignorant with polite chat but it is laughable those that race to dance floor and push their way into standing by senior officers.

To be honest, we've given up the main events and just occasionally attend the much smaller do's. As we know quite a few of the regulars, they come to us so saves a dance floor race. 🙂

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Who cares whether they come back certainly not me. The ones I have been always serve cheap wine and find it hilarious watching some cruisers sucking up to officers.

You don’t have to drink cheap wine. I’ve had some very nice gins and tonics, and my only rum punch ever, which I much enjoyed.

• Like 1

I really don’t enjoy these events, but on this last cruise I made a point of sitting down with two ladies with walkers. I had a wonderful time visiting with them and hearing their stories. I’ll share a very sad story now - my parents had two close friends who lived next door and cruised with them. My dad died several years ago, the wife died last spring. The husband has just fallen in love and scheduled an Alaska cruise for next summer. But last night he had a stroke. My mom cried as she told me this morning, “I’m the only one left, I’m so glad we cruised when we were able.” All four of them loved the social events with the officers. Let’s all cruise while we can!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I felt sorry for the medical officer/doctor at the last party I attended pre Covid.  Three elderly ladies surrounded him and started bombarding him with questions about their various ailments.  They appeared to be trying to outdo each other with who had the most wrong with them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We quite enjoy talking to the officers at these events. We have had informative and entertaining discussions with the ship’s engineer (who later invited us to his hosted table in Britannia), the environmental officer (my wife and I both worked in the environmental field), customer relations, and even an accountant…who knew accounting could be that interesting? The parties are a great way to learn more about the ship’s operations without getting it through a canned presentation. 

• Like 1

My partner and I said “hello” to an officer from Medical Team one welcome on board party.

We chit chatted about this and that and he confided to us he didn’t like the parties as he didn’t feel socially talented to make small talk.

Cue the WC party that followed a few nights later he made a beeline for us when we arrived and said he would talk to us again as we made him feel very relaxed and found us easy to chat to.

He added they are under “surveillance” to mix and mingle.

He also said his worse nightmare were passengers that thought once they instigated a conversation with him that he was theirs for the duration of the party !

Edited by Craigrlewis
  • Like 1

I remember the Senior Officer Party in the Ward Room on the QE2.

We met the Chief Engineer that later offered us a tour of the Engine Room.

The Staff Captain also offered us a tour of the Bridge which we kindly accepted.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, safarigal said:

On Seabourn we had both the Captains party and the loyalty party - it's a smaller ship so maybe that's why they are doing the parties again, but it was really nice to attend them again. The glass of fizz at dinner, and the bottle of Pol Acker in your cabin really just doesn't do it for me.

And God alone knows why they chose to serve Pol Acker in the Grills.  

On 10/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I remember the Senior Officer Party in the Ward Room on the QE2.

We met the Chief Engineer that later offered us a tour of the Engine Room.

The Staff Captain also offered us a tour of the Bridge which we kindly accepted.

We had a similar experience except it was with the Head of Housekeeping. 

Being retired hotel owners my wife expressed an interest in all things 'housekeeping' and in particular 'Laundry'.

Lo and behold the next day we had a message inviting us to a private visit to said 'Laundry' which actually proved fascinating - especially the 'Norovirus' section.