Do I need a visa or ETA for Australia

HI,

We have booked a cruise on Celebrity Edge going to New Zealand from Sydney. We are travelling around Australia for about 4 weeks before we cruise and not sure if we are suppose to get a visa or something called and ETA it s little confusing. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Beware of non government sites which apply on your behalf... This is the official AU Government site..   You should check out your eligability here, and apply direct..     

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601

Hope that helps.

Sue and Phil

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

"An Australia ETA is for visa-exempt nationalities. It is not a visa per se or a full visa. It is a simple electronic travel authority that lets the Australian government know that you want to visit their country." - ivisa.com

The Home Affairs website refers to the ETA as a visa - ETA

With this visa you can

Travel to Australia:

• as a tourist - for example, to cruise or have a holiday 
  • to visit family or friends
  • as a business visitor

You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. If your main reason for travelling to Australia is to study, you should apply for a student visa.

• Like 1

We are also from the UK, coming to Australia in a couple of weeks time. We were able to get the eVisitor subclass 651, very easy and free of charge. I was very impressed that unlike most countries Australia doesn't charge us😀.

For New Zealand we've got the NZeTA (which we had to pay for).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kernow said:

We are also from the UK, coming to Australia in a couple of weeks time. We were able to get the eVisitor subclass 651, very easy and free of charge. I was very impressed that unlike most countries Australia doesn't charge us😀.

For New Zealand we've got the NZeTA (which we had to pay for).

King Charles is planning a visit to NZ, I wonder if he'll get in as a freebie 🤔

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Jean C said:

King Charles is planning a visit to NZ, I wonder if he'll get in as a freebie 🤔

He is selling his late Mum's 14 race horses so it is his 'shout' 🍺 when he gets there.   Hope he has to do a PCR or RAT's test, they are still dying like flies in UK and cases increasing big time.

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

The Home Affairs website refers to the ETA as a visa - ETA

With this visa you can

Travel to Australia:

• as a tourist - for example, to cruise or have a holiday 
  • to visit family or friends
  • as a business visitor

You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. If your main reason for travelling to Australia is to study, you should apply for a student visa.

Semantics.😟

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

He is selling his late Mum's 14 race horses so it is his 'shout' 🍺 when he gets there.   Hope he has to do a PCR or RAT's test, they are still dying like flies in UK and cases increasing big time.

Hahaha, even the poor visited country stumps up for the extra security costs involved 🥴 We stopped the need for negative RAT tests on entry back in July, timely for me as it meant I could get back in without all the worry and potential inconvenience of an unexpected negative result (would have done the right thing had I been sick though) 🙂

• Like 1