Would you choose Oceania versus Regent?

silversneakers

3 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Great information thanks.  Is that the best use of the Olife, I've read different opinions.   The connoisseur list seems steep on Oceania.

We have had drinks included with our canapes in a Penthouse suite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Great information thanks.  Is that the best use of the Olife, I've read different opinions.   The connoisseur list seems steep on Oceania.

What the best use of Olife is is a source of constant discussion. It all depends on your lifestyle and wants. Some swear by the excursions, but most of those don't drink much or don't take the drink package. There's a lot of factors involved for us, depends on the itinerary and how much time we'll actually be on the ship. Having said that we usually take the drink package, then upgrade on day 3 or 4. 

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Connoisseur list? Are you talking wine?

Edited by ORV
  • Thanks 1

y

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Connoisseur list? Are you talking wine?

Yes. thanks

(edit) Several people have talked about bringing your own wine which sounds great but on a 20 day Santiago to Buenos Aries cruise how do I get 20 bottles?

Edited by RetiredandTravel

We are on board from BA to Santiago and bringing a wine suitcase. You are in a wonderful wine region of Chile so you should have no problem getting some great wines. You will have several  O parties, and you can hit multiple O Club parties and Happy Hour is every day so 2 for 1. 
Good luck with the tough decisions on wine.

Ciao, Mauibabes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

y

Yes. thanks

(edit) Several people have talked about bringing your own wine which sounds great but on a 20 day Santiago to Buenos Aries cruise how do I get 20 bottles?

In South America it’s very easy to pickup some wine at the embarkation and then a bottle or two in many of the ports as you go. In case you don’t mind Chilean and Argentinian wines.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ORV said:

Best way is to take the package as your Olife perk and then upgrade for $20 person, per day.

It is my understanding and I could be wrong, when you get the Olife Perk than upgrade on the ship you will miss some benefits.  The % off of bottles and Discount on some wine events. Am I missing something or is that accurate if you upgrade onboard.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

39 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

It is my understanding and I could be wrong, when you get the Olife Perk than upgrade on the ship you will miss some benefits.  The % off of bottles and Discount on some wine events. Am I missing something or is that accurate if you upgrade onboard.

The cost is the same whether you choose the OLife "perk" or not since you pay for the perk.  You might as well just buy it on board.  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

People have mentioned before about not getting the discount for La Reserve if you do O life & upgrade onboard

not sure on the wine events/bottles

Hopefully someone will have the answer  for you soon

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I'm not sure about the % off of bottles, but you are correct about the La Reserve dinner. As always you have to look at what you plan on doing and how. Are you going to book that La Reserve dinner in advance or wait until you're on the ship? Are you going to purchase the Premium package pre boarding or wait until you're on the ship? If you book the La Reserve in advance before you get the drink package then you won't get the discount, or you will at least have to get an adjustment. 

Now let's look at a little math. On a 10 day cruise in January you are paying $600 extra for Olife. If you chose the basic package for 2 people that has a value of $800. $40 a day x 2 people x 10 days. So you save $200 over the package price. Now, let's look at the discount for a LaReserve dinner. I see a dinner for $354 per guest = $708 for a couple. You're going to get a 20% discount off of that if you purchased pre cruise, or bought the package onboard, then booked your LaReserve, if there was any spaces left at that point. So your discount was $141.60. What was the better deal? Are you going to go to more than one LaReserve dinner? I didn't add in the 18% gratuity in the above. I don't know if it's pre or post discount. I also don't know the bottle discount for having the package. I don't buy bottles onboard if I've already paid for a package.

It's early in the morning, so I might have missed something, but I still think you're ahead taking the package for your Olife and upgrading onboard. IF, and this is an important if, you plan on having the drink package and upgrading it. 

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm not sure about the % off of bottles, but you are correct about the La Reserve dinner. As always you have to look at what you plan on doing and how. Are you going to book that La Reserve dinner in advance or wait until you're on the ship? Are you going to purchase the Premium package pre boarding or wait until you're on the ship? If you book the La Reserve in advance before you get the drink package then you won't get the discount, or you will at least have to get an adjustment. 

Now let's look at a little math. On a 10 day cruise in January you are paying $600 extra for Olife. If you chose the basic package for 2 people that has a value of $800. $40 a day x 2 people x 10 days. So you save $200 over the package price. Now, let's look at the discount for a LaReserve dinner. I see a dinner for $354 per guest = $708 for a couple. You're going to get a 20% discount off of that if you purchased pre cruise, or bought the package onboard, then booked your LaReserve, if there was any spaces left at that point. So your discount was $141.60. What was the better deal? Are you going to go to more than one LaReserve dinner? I didn't add in the 18% gratuity in the above. I don't know if it's pre or post discount. I also don't know the bottle discount for having the package. I don't buy bottles onboard if I've already paid for a package.

It's early in the morning, so I might have missed something, but I still think you're ahead taking the package for your Olife and upgrading onboard. IF, and this is an important if, you plan on having the drink package and upgrading it. 

It might be early in the morning however your explanation is excellent.  Thank you.  I asked my Travel Agent to do the Olife Drink package (Beer and Wine).  I have no interest in the LaReserve Dinner.  I will upgrade on the ship for the Premium Drink Package as you outlined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

It might be early in the morning however your explanation is excellent.  Thank you.  I asked my Travel Agent to do the Olife Drink package (Beer and Wine).  I have no interest in the LaReserve Dinner.  I will upgrade on the ship for the Premium Drink Package as you outlined.

I am the reverse I have no interest in beer or wine.  I would rather have a good cocktail so its cheaper to pay ala carte then effectively $40/day

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

I am the reverse I have no interest in beer or wine.  I would rather have a good cocktail so its cheaper to pay ala carte then effectively $40/day

That makes complete sense.  The challenge for new folks to Oceania is learning the ins and outs.  We took the drink program perk with the intention of upgrading to the better deink program once on board.  Every cruise line has different policies and rules.  It is up to the guest to research them, and strategically choose what is best for them and their unique needs.

Thank you for your take.

• Like 1

I checked the pricing a few times. No matter how you price it, Regent is more expensive. A typical 10 nights cruise on O to Europe is around $5k in veranda cabin while Regent is around $12-13k. No way all the extras (including business class flight) is $8k.

So my question is: is Regent worth the extra money? We had 3 Oceania cruises and booked on 4 more, and would love to try Regent. But the price seems a bit high, even with everything included. 

Disclaimer: I'm aware that entry level cabins are typically larger on Regent so this might not be a completely fair comparison, but cabin size is not really important to us. What is are food and service (and entertainment/activities, but I understand they are similarly unremarkable on both lines). Is Regent really that much better?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I checked the pricing a few times. No matter how you price it, Regent is more expensive. A typical 10 nights cruise on O to Europe is around $5k in veranda cabin while Regent is around $12-13k. No way all the extras (including business class flight) is $8k.

So my question is: is Regent worth the extra money? We had 3 Oceania cruises and booked on 4 more, and would love to try Regent. But the price seems a bit high, even with everything included. 

Disclaimer: I'm aware that entry level cabins are typically larger on Regent so this might not be a completely fair comparison, but cabin size is not really important to us. What is are food and service (and entertainment/activities, but I understand they are similarly unremarkable on both lines). Is Regent really that much better?

I think you answered your own question.  Go with Oceania.  That's been our analysis, unless there is a Regent itinerary that Oceania doesn't have.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Regent is a different experience. It is not just the money. You get a less crowded ship in terms of space.  Passenger to crew ratio is better. Service is better. Main dining room food and service is much better. Entertainment is a little better. The new less than one day included laundry service is over the top fantastic. Included tours are a plus or minus depending on your view. First class air travel is included for international routes. Cruise directors on Regent do not yak yak multiple times a day reading that days activity program in a Carnivalesque manner on the PA system. (Yes, that really bugs me 🙄)

In Oceania's favor: Waves grill is far superior in menu choice and service speed and quality to equivalent on Regent. Crew served instead of self serve in the buffet area is a plus for those who value that distinction. Spa areas in front of ship for a fee or included for Concierge and above does not exist on Regent. Gym area is open and spacious near forward area of ship on Oceania vs low ceiling smaller area in back of ship on Regent. Specialty restaurants on Oceania are equal to or superior to Regent, depending on the restaurant. Option for wonderful evening buffet with grilled steak/lobster/lamb chops does not exist on Regent. They turn their buffet into an evening only Italian specialty restaurant which is so so IMHO. 

I am sure others can come up with other differences, but a fair comparison depends on what you value in addition to a cost comparison.

Edited by edgee
correction of wording
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edgee said:

Regent is a different experience. It is not just the money. You get a less crowded ship in terms of space.  Passenger to crew ratio is better. Service is better. Main dining room food and service is much better. Entertainment is a little better. The new less than one day included laundry service is over the top fantastic. Included tours are a plus or minus depending on your view. First class air travel is included for international routes. Cruise directors on Regent do not yak yak multiple times a day reading that days activity program in a Carnivalesque manner on the PA system. (Yes, that really bugs me 🙄)

In Oceania's favor: Waves grill is far superior in menu choice and service speed and quality to equivalent on Regent. Crew served instead of self serve in the buffet area is a plus for those who value that distinction. Spa areas in front of ship for a fee or included for Concierge and above does not exist on Regent. Gym area is open and spacious near forward area of ship on Oceania vs low ceiling smaller area in back of ship on Regent. Specialty restaurants on Oceania are equal to or superior to Regent, depending on the restaurant. Option for wonderful evening buffet with grilled steak/lobster/lamb chops does not exist on Regent. They turn their buffet into an evening only Italian specialty restaurant which is so so IMHO. 

I am sure others can come up with other differences, but a fair comparison depends on what you value in addition to a cost comparison.

This is really helpful, thank you!

When we upgraded from Celebrity to Oceania, we felt we got a huge improvement for moderate increase in price. For example, we went from 2.5 passenger/crew ratio to 1.55. Regent is around 1.35-1.40, plus some areas are slightly better than Oceania - so the question is if we don't get only marginal improvement for a big price increase?

P.S. I think you meant business class flights, not first class? At least this is what I see on the Regent Canadian website.

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This is really helpful, thank you!

When we upgraded from Celebrity to Oceania, we felt we got a huge improvement for moderate increase in price. For example, we went from 2.5 passenger/crew ratio to 1.55. Regent is around 1.35-1.40, plus some areas are slightly better than Oceania - so the question is if we don't get only marginal improvement for a big price increase?

P.S. I think you meant business class flights, not first class? At least this is what I see on the Regent Canadian website.

Thanks. Meant business class.

Worth noting that for the UK at least biz class is not an included perk for international travel (at least not on my booking for ‘24), we took the air credit. 

I am intrigued as to how I will find Regent, O is definitely my comfort zone, and if it wasn’t for the itin I would not be even entertaining Regent. 

14 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I've compared several itineraries over the next couple years between Oceania, Regent, Silversea & Seabourn.   My observation is that the Oceania itineraries are the best, Regent second then Silversea & Seabourn.   When considering Oceania I only compare the larger ships (Marina etc) because of the room size.

When I do the price comparison apples to apples (backing out airfare (biz class on Regent), adding drinks,  tips and excursions (I use $400 a day) when appropriate) Regent is by far the most expensive of the four.  Penthouse suites on Oceania are a little cheaper than Veranda on Regent but Oceania is cheaper (in some cases just marginally) vs Silversea & Seabourn Veranda rooms.  The prices of course also vary depending on which ship, newer more expensive.  We do whoop it up on vacation so we include the premium drink package on Oceania.

Thanks everyone for all the information on the comparison its very helpful in our consideration of Oceania.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

57 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I've compared several itineraries over the next couple years between Oceania, Regent, Silversea & Seabourn.   My observation is that the Oceania itineraries are the best, Regent second then Silversea & Seabourn.   When considering Oceania I only compare the larger ships (Marina etc) because of the room size.

When I do the price comparison apples to apples (backing out airfare (biz class on Regent), adding drinks,  tips and excursions (I use $400 a day) when appropriate) Regent is by far the most expensive of the four.  Penthouse suites on Oceania are a little cheaper than Veranda on Regent but Oceania is cheaper (in some cases just marginally) vs Silversea & Seabourn Veranda rooms.  The prices of course also vary depending on which ship, newer more expensive.  We do whoop it up on vacation so we include the premium drink package on Oceania.

Thanks everyone for all the information on the comparison its very helpful in our consideration of Oceania.

We prefer Marina/Riviera as well. Newer ships, bigger cabins, more dining options, higher passengers/space ratio so feels more spacious.

We book standard veranda cabins on O (sometimes even OV) because 240 sqft is more than enough for us - so for us the gap between O and regent is even bigger. 

We will be on Silversea in December - decided to try it because we liked the itinerary and the price was unbelievable, so we will see if it's worth it compared to O.

Edited by ak1004

46 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We prefer Marina/Riviera as well. Newer ships, bigger cabins, more dining options, higher passengers/space ratio so feels more spacious.

We book standard veranda cabins on O (sometimes even OV) because 240 sqft is more than enough for us - so for us the gap between O and regent is even bigger. 

We will be on Silversea in December - decided to try it because we liked the itinerary and the price was unbelievable, so we will see if it's worth it compared to O.

I'll be very interested in your comparison.

ty

We “discovered” Oceania 15 cruises ago and, on the ocean, have never strayed. We love the friendly crew,  cuisine and interesting fellow passengers. 
A couple of observations/hints. 
we take a $$ credit for doing our own air. As we always book more than a year in advance we get the cabin we want with Oceania and our biz+ air with points. 
Oceania’s loyalty program gives us usable perks. Free gratuities. OBC not grand but useful. Discounts on excursions, drink packages, etc. We take the $$ air credit and buy American Air miles when they have their semi-annual sale. We get plenty of other points/miles with our CCs but AAs are harder to get. Being near Miami they are very usable. 
Still deciding if we like the smaller R class or larger O class ships. We have 4 booked on the Vista so sometime we will have to make up our minds. 
Generally we just love Oceania. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@ChadnKate

Major Ditto as we too found Oceania for a Mediterranean cruise in 2007 and have never looked back. We really enjoy the Country Club Casual style and the lack of pretentiousness from the guests. Glad to have a Big Sister in Regent because we see staff moving between lines for promotions and opportunities. 
When NCLH bought O and R, we feared the worst but it has been a good marriage, ESPECIALLY with Frank Del Rio at the helm.  No one is messing with his babies 🙏🤪👍
We have brought many Princess and HAL and Celebrity cruisers along with us and created a nice Oceania following among family and friends. 

Next trip, January 18 on Marina. Can not wait 🤪🛳️🍹

Mauibabes