Tipping Protocol On Shore Excursions

Traveling Fools

What is the tipping protocol for shore excursions booked directly with the provider.  Example, You book a tour directly with tour operator who also is the sole owner and guide.  The agreement is you pay cash directly to the provider/owner/guide for the tour.  Is an additional tip expected or warranted?  just wondering

1 hour ago, Traveling Fools said:

What is the tipping protocol for shore excursions booked directly with the provider.  Example, You book a tour directly with tour operator who also is the sole owner and guide.  The agreement is you pay cash directly to the provider/owner/guide for the tour.  Is an additional tip expected or warranted?  just wondering

Additional tip is always expected. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

As with ALL tipping threads there is NO PROTOCOL at all.  You merely tip whomever you want, whenever you want, however much you want.  What others may or may not do is 100% irrelevant.  EOS.

5 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Depends on where the excursion is. In Sweden I shouldn't tip.

If the guide also own the company I really see no reason to tip.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not correct.  Depends on where you are.   In Australia I am pretty sure I insulted a tour guide whom we spent a day with by offering a tip.

@Traveling Fools you should ask this question in the specific port call forums for the ports you will be in.  

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Not correct.  Depends on where you are.   In Australia I am pretty sure I insulted a tour guide whom we spent a day with by offering a tip.

@Traveling Fools you should ask this question in the specific port call forums for the ports you will be in.  

Excuse me, but this is an issue that transcends any specific port. AND, I don't intend on posting this question on every CC forum.

DW is European, we have lived in several countries (non-military), have friends and relatives living in many countries, are very welled traveled and do not limit our travels to cruises.  We are familiar with tipping protocols in many countries and research tipping customs before we travel to a given area, but the expansion of cruising and therefore flood of cruisers has warped the norm.  Some people tip regardless of local custom, just like others don't (won't) tip regardless of local custom. 

To put to rest any notion we are cheap Charlies when it comes to tipping, having a daughter and many friends who have worked in the service industry, we are very gracious tippers...if service warrants it...which is almost always. 

FYI, we are leaving Friday for an NCL cruise leaving from and returning to Tahiti with port calls at several Polynesian Islands.  I know in LBC (life before cruisers) tipping was not customary in the Social Islands. BUT, the influx of hundred of thousands cruise ship passengers as distorted that customs.  I doubt locals tip, but it has become increasingly more expected from foreigners. 

This vendor wears three hats, e.g. owner, guide, and sole employee. The vendor is an experienced business person who has been providing this service for many years.  I'm pretty sure their business plan incorporates relative overhead; advertising, vehicle maintenance, rent (if any), etc.  Just as they have factored in likely commissions from vendors to whom they direct their customers.  And, Oh By The Way, their fee is the same as reflected on the sites they use for middlemen advertisers. (Meaning no discount for booking directly with them.) So, Yesterday as I was driving to several different ATMs getting cash to pay for excursions and associated tips, I had one of my many brain farts.  It just happened to be the topic of this thread.  

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

BirdTravels, I have to kindly disagree with your statement.  In some countries tipping is either not expected or considered offensive.

We were in France in May and booked direct with a private guide. She was a young woman running her own wine tour van out of Le Verdon. One of the stops on our tour was to her boyfriend's family vineyard. We bought wine at each stop, including their family's stop, and chose to tip her as well at the end. 

Except in cultures where tipping is considered an insult and frowned upon, we'll give our guides tips based on how much we enjoyed the trip. The cost of the trip is for their expenses and time. The tip is our gratitude for how much we enjoyed it.

Same thing with when we sail in Haven. Our cabin steward tips is already included in our daily gratuities, but we always leave a little extra. We don't miss that extra money when we get home, but it does mean a whole lot to them when they get it unexpectedly.

• Like 1

If the local custom is to tip, I tip.  If local custom is not to tip, I don't tip (even when they put their hand out). 

Seems the number of places where tipping isn't customary is shrinking.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Seems the number of places where tipping isn't customary is shrinking.  

As a result of increased American tourists, and their insistence on introducing their tipping culture, regardless of local norms. 

• Like 4

Just now, wowzz said:

As a result of increased American tourists, and their insistence on introducing their tipping culture, regardless of local norms. 

Most countries have some sort of tipping customs now..  Are we to blame for them all?  

• Like 1

It is  a personal choice

If you feel the guide/owner  is making enough money off you  then don't tip

If you feel they did a great job with the tour you could tip  a small amount  or not

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

They mave have tipping cultures, but tips would not be at the US level. 

I see.   So, next time I'm in your country, should I or should I not provide tips when expected?   

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I see.   So, next time I'm in your country, should I or should I not provide tips when expected?   

Yes, but only at a level that us Brits would give, and, as you say, only when they are expected, which is not often.

• Like 3

Just now, wowzz said:

Yes, but only at a level that us Brits would give, and, as you say, only when they are expected, which is not often.

Thanks.  That is what I do.  It probably doesn't seem often to a local.   As a tourist in London I'm tipping every time I eat in a restaurant.    I'm pretty used to that from home.   

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  That is what I do.  It probably doesn't seem often to a local.   As a tourist in London I'm tipping every time I eat in a restaurant.    I'm pretty used to that from home.   

Even us Brits would tip in a London restaurant,  if the service was OK !

But please, no more than 10%! 

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Even us Brits would tip in a London restaurant,  if the service was OK !

But please, no more than 10%! 

When added by the establishment, the service fee is likely more than 10%.  It seems the common suggestion is 10% to 15%.  I'm OK leaving 10% but probably would not have them remove a service fee to accomplish that.

What I honestly don't understand are the number of Brits I encounter who complain about tipping in American restaurants.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

but  do check if the service charge (tip) has been added  to the bill 

Some places in the UK  add that it should be noted on the menu usually at the bottom

• Thanks 1