Insulated Cooler

Ranger28

15 minutes ago, Ranger28 said:

Has anyone found a need for taking an insulated cooler bag on their cruise?

There is a limit of 12 x 12 x 12 on coolers you bring on. They seem to be discouraging them. Maybe a fold up one in your luggage. I think people want them to carry on their 12 sodas.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ranger28 said:

Has anyone found a need for taking an insulated cooler bag on their cruise?

I can only speak for my Holland America experiences.  The few ice cubes in my stateroom small ice bucket were inadequate and its inconvenient to keep asking for refills.  I prefer the 33-degree temperature of sodas/beverages stored in ice and not the 43 degrees of a minibar. 

On my last six cruises, I brought a Coleman collapsible cooler.  It kept my sodas/beverages really cold and it needed Room Steward refilling only every other day.  Ice was always available for my refillable excursion drink bottle and to make diet iced tea for hot days on my balcony.  My minibar had room for snacks.

Collapsible cooler for ice needed?  No.  Convenient?  Very.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I have not, but others report using one for extra ice (ice bucket is small and may only be filled once a day OR even only on request if you see your cabin steward. You would want one that didn't link for use as an extra-size ice bucket!

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

I can only speak for my Holland America experiences.  The few ice cubes in my stateroom small ice bucket were inadequate and its inconvenient to keep asking for refills.  I prefer the 33-degree temperature of sodas/beverages stored in ice and not the 43 degrees of a minibar. 

On my last six cruises, I brought a Coleman collapsible cooler.  It kept my sodas/beverages really cold and it needed Room Steward refilling only every other day.  Ice was always available for my refillable excursion drink bottle and to make diet iced tea for hot days on my balcony.  My minibar had room for snacks.

Collapsible cooler for ice needed?  No.  Convenient?  Very.

We had written “collapsible cooler” on our list after our last cruise but neither of us could remember exactly why we thought it was important😂Your analysis was very helpful.

One more hint - I line mine with a freezer size/strength resealable bag. When I want cold water (which is often) , I just pour the melted ice water out of the baggie into a glass. 

Room stewards are never surprised by this request, so it must be common. 

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, mom says said:

Nope. The mini-fridge in our cabin works just fine, and the bars never seem to have a shortage of cold drinks. I have an insulated bottle for ice water when I leave the ship for excursions.

Several thoughts: 

- Those aren't refrigerators.  They're electric coolers ... not really as cold as refrigerators. 

- Not all rooms have coolers, for example older ships like Grandeur of the Seas.  We're sailing on one of these soon, and I think I will bring a cooler /ask the cabin steward to fill this rather than an ice bucket.  

- Some passengers might like to take a cooler off the ship for a beach day.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Those aren't refrigerators.  They're electric coolers ... not really as cold as refrigerators. 

Don't know if you addressing a specific cruise line, but on some lines the mini-fridge is just that, a refrigerator.  And we've found them to be pretty cold, even freezing sodas put in them.

I take a fold up cooler when i am going to be at HMC or Princess Caye to take some beer off to save going to a bar from down the beach and sometimes they only have a limited selection at the bar and seems prices on the island are higher than on ship.  At Princess Caye I go out the gate to George's bar and get some Kalik for $4 a bottle and cooler keeps them cold.  

• Like 2