Walkie talkies

jackadapt

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Yes allowed but these can be annoying to those around you. ... no reason to take or need these onboard. Anything RCI takes will be returned at the end of your cruise.

But you have to admit walkie talkies are less annoying to people around you versus this ...

Parents, STOP YELLING at the games! | I Love to Watch You Play

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

THEY DON'T WORK. Trust me. They don't. If you're going to pay for Internet for your phone, turn on Wi-Fi calling and you can call and text each other. If for some reason SMS isn't working for you, use an app like Discord. If you don't want to get the Internet plan, pay for the messaging service through the Royal app.

• Like 2

If your 10 yr old is comfortable with texting, old cell phones work great on ships.  The phone does not need a cellular plan, only Wifi access.  While at home, connect the old phone(s) to your WiFi, and configure your favorite IP texting app.  Also configure the app on any active cell phones you intend to use on board; ensure they work in airplane mode via WiFi.  Get the 4 person surf plan (stream is not necessary for texting).  WiFi is active throughout the ship, and signals aren't restricted by metal walls and decks, because there are WiFi access points all over.  On my upcoming 11 day southern Caribbean, a 4 device surf plan costs $660, or $15 each per day.

• Like 1

OK, lets go with a cheaper option.  Use those same old unused cell phones with no cell plan, load the Royal Caribbean App, and purchase messaging for each device for just $2.00 each per day.  That would be just $88 for the cruise I'm on.  That's probably cheaper than buying Walkie Talkies.  Another advantage -- Text only, no annoying fellow cruisers by talking through the app.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jackadapt said:

I was trying to brain storm solutions for our 10 year old if we were to get seperated on the ship.  Didn't want to get her a cell phone solely for this trip.  

Pick a meeting up spot that's easy to find.  We usually take our granddaughters up on deck, find a spot, and then they know where to find us.  Chances are the radios wouldn't work.  

On 11/5/2022 at 12:07 AM, jackadapt said:

Are these allowed on board?  If not, and Royal were to confiscate them, would Royal give them back to us when we go onshore/excursions?  Thanks.

Yes allowed. Make sure they are a UHF frequency. They will work the best. However, inside to outside may be intermittent at best.

You've already seen some of the comments about radio functionality (or lack thereof) on cruise ships.  There are additional considerations in some countries if you use them in port.

For example:

• Mexico: allows unlicensed use of US FRS radios (they're low-power with 2 watts output or less output), but US GMRS radios and/or radios >2 watts are not permitted without licensing.
  • Canada: US FRS can be used, but GMRS can only be low-power and in half-duplex mode.
  • Bermuda: US FRS and GMRS both not legal to use (same in the UK and Europe).

Too technical?  If you want to go ahead with this, stick with FRS - read the packaging carefully to make sure it if FRS only, and look for the power output (see below for an example).

Good luck!        --bruce T.

55GZ36_AS02?hei=1072&wid=1072

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 7:00 AM, DirtyDawg said:

So does talking face to face. Only if your'e into that sort of old style thing, of course. 😁

Whaaaaaat?  No freak'in way. Does anybody do that anymore?  Come on man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Whaaaaaat?  No freak'in way. Does anybody do that anymore?  Come on man!

Like the Echo parakeet (Psittacula eques) of Mauritius, face to face talkers might be close to extinction but like the Echo parakeet we will not be silenced! 😁

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Like the Echo parakeet (Psittacula eques) of Mauritius, face to face talkers might be close to extinction but like the Echo parakeet we will not be silenced! 😁

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

Yours Truly,

Alan  😉

• Haha 2