Is HAL perfect?

esimon

Of course HAL is not perfect. Nor is ANY other cruise line.

People frequently seem to forget the tons of money the cruise lines lost during Covid full shutdowns, and they think HAL should just throw more money away before occupancy rates build and get consistently full.

• Like 5

The people are leaving reviews on a travel website.  I certainly want to know if a cruise has widespread bedbugs, bad food, etc….  And some want to know if the line is a good match and often it is not.  Occasionally their tone may seem a bit snarky but in general I find most of the reviews quite reasonable even if I disagree. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, esimon said:

I don't think so but seems like people just want to complain -  Is that the point of these threads?   Lots of cruise lines - pick another

Your post sure sounds like a "whine."

• Like 3

We are a very private couple who love to travel and cruise. We are in our late sixties now and I gamble and my husband love the piano bar. He’s more social. The shows are great when we want to go. The excursions are a good fit and we enjoy the main dining room for dinner,room service for breakfast and lido for lunch or I send him for to go from the dive in or pizza. So for us Hal is the perfect fit.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Chickadee910 said:

We are a very private couple who love to travel and cruise. We are in our late sixties now and I gamble and my husband love the piano bar. He’s more social. The shows are great when we want to go. The excursions are a good fit and we enjoy the main dining room for dinner,room service for breakfast and lido for lunch or I send him for to go from the dive in or pizza. So for us Hal is the perfect fit.

What piano bar?

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

No cruise line is perfect!

Amen!

25 minutes ago, RuthC said:

That's not a Piano Bar, though. It's a performance. Totally different atmosphere. 

miss Janet Fast and her talented Bass player husband who was part of the Ocean Bar group.  He would sometimes join her for a set after the Ocean Bar group was finished for the evening.  

The one pleasantness, the courtesy, and service of the crew is the one consistent that remains from the HAL of 1970 when I first sailed on Rotterdam V.  Many other things have changed, but, even in those early '70's when the nationality of the crew started to change, somehow, someway, this guest's experiences with the crew never altered from being excellent to being acceptable.  (Except the one 21 day Noordam cruise when the Captain and the Hotel Director were less than guest oriented.)  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Billboard Onboard?

HAL used to have real piano bars on their ships, and DW and I were often among those who sat around the piano until close!   HAL got rid of nearly all of their piano bars (perhaps all by now) and also got rid of the many of the excellent piano bar players/singers.  Billboard is nothing like a real piano bar, but simply another entertainment venue with "sets."

If we want a real piano bar now, we must go on Princess where they still have piano bar players/singers although I am not a big fan of their venue which is often part of the Atriums.

Hank

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The people are leaving reviews on a travel website.  I certainly want to know if a cruise has widespread bedbugs, bad food, etc….  And some want to know if the line is a good match and often it is not.  Occasionally their tone may seem a bit snarky but in general I find most of the reviews quite reasonable even if I disagree. 

and I agree - but all I heard about was "they are charging for a second shrimp"  They are charging for ...        If there are problems - state them and move on -   

11 minutes ago, esimon said:

and I agree - but all I heard about was "they are charging for a second shrimp"  They are charging for ...        If there are problems - state them and move on -   

Sorry, did I miss the post where CC made you a moderator?

HAL is suffering after the restart but so is every other line. Some are doing a better job than others of attracting customers back. HAL may be a great line but it still has to compete for my cruise dollars; I'm not going to sail with them out of charity or remembrance of good times past.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, esimon said:

I don't think so but seems like people just want to complain -  Is that the point of these threads?   Lots of cruise lines - pick another

Not much in life is perfect.  Do I think HAL is perfect?  No. 

Don't like a grocery store?  Don't like your church?  Don't like the nearest fast-food place?  Don't like your barber?  Don't like HAL?  Move on.  Please. 

If, when we return to cruising, we find HAL is no longer a good fit, we will find another cruiseline.  Or adapt to the new HAL.  It seems like some of the people who repeat their list of complaints multiple times ARE threatening to move to other cruise lines, and I think that's a positive for those of us who will sail HAL in the future 😉

• Like 6