Board before my assigned time?

lucyrio

Hi...who can help me with this...I just checked in yesterday for our upcoming Nov 27 Wonder of the Seas cruise.  It says our health check in time is 1:30. I don't even know what that is.  Maybe temperature check?  We always get to the pier earlier than that and have never had a problem boarding.  It states if you don't come then, you will be delayed.  Can I try to go earlier or will they tell me to wait until 1:30. Would they really turn me away ?

Thank you

Edited by lucyrio

Prior to Covid you could show up whenever.   Now, post Covid, the time IS the time to board.  The only way to get around this is to purchase "The Key" or turn back time and check in exactly after midnight on the first day you can select times.     Otherwise, you will wait, outside, until your boarding time.

Edited by BobNoxious
  • Like 1

OR you’ll be allowed in whenever you show up. Royal inconsistency at its glorious best.

However, to avoid the risk of spending a couple of hours queueing outside the terminal because they happen to be enforcing the rules, it’s sensible to turn up around your chosen time.

The reality is it seems to vary from port to port, even sailing to sailing, and it often depends how busy it is when you arrive.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

Cruising several times on Harmony post Covid.  When they ask to see your set sail pass, your check in time is printed boldly on that form.  

Since we always arrive at our designated time, have no idea if we would have been turned away by arriving early.  But did see "cattle gates" set up with time signs shown on them.  

Will be interesting coming in on Sunday.  First time Wonder in PC, and of course will be delays as this ship in coming in from European embarkation.  The crew is dreading the process of immigrations for them on Sunday morning.  

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Six cruises this year and never once did they look at my time.  

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Many cruises out of PC this year and like @Ourusualbeach not once did anyone check my check-in time

If everyone shows up early, then the people that actually have an early time will need to stand in line much longer than expected……note,  I’m not assuming that you did that , but I’m sure many do and on the large popular ship like Wonder, it would be a madhouse of zig zag lines if people don’t stick to their time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BobNoxious said:

Prior to Covid you could show up whenever.   Now, post Covid, the time IS the time to board.  The only way to get around this is to purchase "The Key" or turn back time and check in exactly after midnight on the first day you can select times.     Otherwise, you will wait, outside, until your boarding time.

Not true. We had 12:30 check in last week at Cape Liberty and were on the ship at 10:30.

35 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

Did you arrive on time or at 10am?   Did you not show your set sail pass to the person at the counter that checks id?

Nobody asked to see any paperwork other than passports and the set sail pass.

On every cruise we generally arrived at the port about 10.30 and have always been onboard by 11.00 or a little after.

4 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

If everyone shows up early, then the people that actually have an early time will need to stand in line much longer than expected……note,  I’m not assuming that you did that , but I’m sure many do and on the large popular ship like Wonder, it would be a madhouse of zig zag lines if people don’t stick to their time.

When we cruised on Wonder twice earlier this year we had a boarding time of 10.30 to 11.00 each time and there were probably about 100 or so folks in front of us on each occasion.

Both times we were onboard about 11.00.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

When we cruised on Wonder twice earlier this year we had a boarding time of 10.30 to 11.00 each time and there were probably about 100 or so folks in front of us on each occasion.

Both times we were onboard about 11.00.

Wonder wasn't sailing from Port Canaveral either of those times though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Many cruises out of PC this year and like @Ourusualbeach not once did anyone check my check-in time

Same here.  

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Cruising several times on Harmony post Covid.  When they ask to see your set sail pass, your check in time is printed boldly on that form.  

Since we always arrive at our designated time, have no idea if we would have been turned away by arriving early.  But did see "cattle gates" set up with time signs shown on them.  

Will be interesting coming in on Sunday.  First time Wonder in PC, and of course will be delays as this ship in coming in from European embarkation.  The crew is dreading the process of immigrations for them on Sunday morning.  

I have not seen the “cattle gates” with times for many months at port Canaveral .  Those gates with times did not seem to even work well when passenger counts were low, as people did not get in correct line.  Perhaps still seeing the cattle gates, you hd not noticed the lack of time signs.  I have not seen anybody tuned away due to a later arrival time.

20 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Absolutely.  Probably would be similar to how boarding was pre covid with no check in times.  People tend to spread outvyhrouhout the day but for sure there would be a few more earlier on.  We've slways had thr earliest boarding time but no one ever checked so it didnt seem to me like they were enforcing it. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Absolutely.  Probably would be similar to how boarding was pre covid with no check in times.  People tend to spread outvyhrouhout the day but for sure there would be a few more earlier on.  We've slways had thr earliest boarding time but no one ever checked so it didnt seem to me like they were enforcing it. 

we also always get the earliest boarding, and there were times (not sure if at PC or Tampa) that they were checking times. Maybe it’s time to stop the boarding times like they are stopping testing. I would love to see it return to normal 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

we also always get the earliest boarding, and there were times (not sure if at PC or Tampa) that they were checking times. Maybe it’s time to stop the boarding times like they are stopping testing. I would love to see it return to normal 

With sll yhe other restrictions gone there is not as much need for it anymore.  Perhaps they will keep it but not enforce it.  It would still help spread out the majority of people. 

• Like 2

The intent of the times is to limit the number of people in the terminal to reduce the risk of spreading COVID, flu, or the common cold.  At Cape Liberty, it appeared that if there was no line and the numbers inside the terminal were acceptable, you could get in to keep a steady flow of passengers.  I imagine that a check in line would cause enforcement of the boarding time.