The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday November 9th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Go to an Art Museum Day, World Freedom Day, and Carl Sagan Day

When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I'm already better than them.--Marilyn Monroe

Meal Suggestion for today - Savory Pumpkin and Sage Soup
Drink of the Day - Sunrise
Wine of the Day - Mayacamas 2018 Merlot (Mount Veeder) Napa
Destination of the Day - Ilfracombe, England, United Kingdom

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Port Everglades eta 11/10

Koningsdam

San Francisco, California 08:00 - 23:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ocho Rios, Jamacia 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Lisbon, Portugal 10:00 - 23:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Port Everglades eta 11/10

Volendam

Cadiz, Spain, Sevilla 08:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Mahe Island, Victoria, Seychelles 16:00 - 09 Nov 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia eta 11/12

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Milford Sound, New Zealand

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 11/17

1109World.thumb.png.4ae9bffbf93043d8451fd33b5b873afa.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Good Morning from Jamaica,  we are docked early.  Last night we had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and everything was perfect.   We watched the comedian and he was good and will try to catch his other shows. TV is not bringing in the news so will have to look online for results.

The moon is still out.

20221109_060804.thumb.jpg.23b38b166ee8f0391f427852f4b73104.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

A cool, clear morning here.  There's still a big bright moon in the sky.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk soon.

Interesting days.  I enjoy visiting museums.  I celebrate world freedom day.   A big thank you to Carl Sagan.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  I'm sure I'll like the drink and wine.

We are scheduled to be in today's port next spring.  Thanks in advance for pictures and comments.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and thanks @Crazy For Catsfor the picture of the moon.  I was just admiring the same from my living room when I went for my morning coffee.  Nice collection of days, I would go to the Isabella Stewart Gardener museum today if I didn’t have to work.  I like today’s quote.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious.  I haven’t been to today’s port, someday hopefully.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 18

Okay, here's the reason for my unexpected adventure. Over the weekend, I got news that there actually may be some damage to our family's FL place from Hurricane Ian. So, Sunday, my DH and I set off for SW FL.

DH has not driven since his stroke and I can only manage seven hours behind the wheel (+stops). So, leaving Sunday means we will finally arrive later today.

And, while we were on the road, Hurricane Nicole has developed. So, this morning, I will be dodging her as I make my final push to my family's place. It looks to be a stormy drive.

Yesterday's drive was a long slog as the highways were filled with tons of semi trucks trying to reach their locations before Nicole. Add to that the convoy after convoy of out-of-state electric trucks arriving in preparation for Nicole damage. In fact, our 150 room Gainesville hotel is completely full with electric crews and their trucks.

And, with that, I'm off for the final hours of my four-day drive.

-Melisa 

Edited by HAL Sailer
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Nicole day report, Rich.  I'll salute both Carl Sagan and World Freedom Days but won't be going to an Art Museum or anywhere else today, hunkering down for the day and getting a bit more optimistic about boarding Eurodam tomorrow.  I like the Monroe quote but have not been to Ilfracombe.  Not sure about the meal but probably better than what I will actually get today (other than a nice breakfast).  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Lamb Chop with Mint Chimichurri, and Dutch Apple Pie as served on MS Prinsendam November 9, 2017.

dishes09.jpg

I think the person I talked to at the front desk was not the sharpest tool in the shed.  It turns out he apparently made an additional reservation for LAST night.  I talked to the front desk this morning and have my room for another night.  We will sort out the details later this morning.

Today’s care list:

Those in the path of Nicole, including me and HAL Sailer
Quartzite Cruiser DH clot complications interrupting surgery
Kazu severe foot injury
Grapau27, smitty34877 postponing joint replacement
Kazu sister recovering from fall
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
Lady Hudson DH recovering from oral surgery
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy and new blood clot
Mister67 persistent hand injury
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
From the rotation:
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Cruisin Terri leak damage and recalcitrant insurance company
Sandi’s neighbor Linda recovering at home

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

New cat for 4966 and 556
Marshhawk at the Symphony
Sharon in Charleston
The end of election ads (except possibly in Georgia to 12/6)
Ichiban Nekko settling into new house
Sandi’s neighbor Linda well enough to receive visitors
Work about to start on Cruisin Terri’s house
1 day for me (hopefully) (Eurodam 11/10 to 11/20)
GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12), Dobiemom (NCL Bliss  to 11/13), CrazyForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/13), Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18), and  Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor today's Daily and Fleet Report.  Hoping for safety for all the ships at sea, and that TS Nicole moves on quickly.  Prayers for all in the path!  Cheers for world freedom, and museums.  A salute to Carl Sagan, a very intelligent man.  The pumpkin and sage soup sounds intriguing.  No thanks to the drink and wine.  I haven't been to Ilfracombe, England and had forgotten we already had that port once.  It was Feb. 27, 2022 and I am posting the link below.  Hope to see the photos and would love to go there someday.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the lists today.  Hope you're not too bored waiting out the storm/hurricane.  Special prayers to all on that Care list and it's a long one.  Jacqui @kazu and her sister, Steve and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, @MISTER 67and his sore finger,  @ottahand7 Nancy's DB,  @Lady Hudson's DH, @HAL Sailer's SIL, @cruzn single's stepson, @luvteaching's DH, @Cruzin Terri's home repairs, and @HAL Sailer's SW Florida home with damage.  Hope our prayers help!  Big cheers for all on the Celebration list.  I send good wishes to you all.

Here is Rich's post from Feb. 27, 2022.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Good selection of days.

I was never a fan of Marilyn Monroe and her quotes always leave me scratching my head.

The soup is something I would probably like.

A lot cooler in Florida today as Nicole inches closer to the Sunshine State.

Glad the election is over and we have a respite from all the horrible commercials and ugly mudslinging.

6 more days and I see the hand surgeon again and hopefully get rid of this huge dressing on the finger. Pain has been minimal, throbs a little when I stand after sitting awhile, I eat with my left hand so things get a little awkward with the fork besides other usual things.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

3DAFE51C-4D9A-4CAD-928C-89934B026110.jpeg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Jamaica,  we are docked early.  Last night we had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and everything was perfect.   We watched the comedian and he was good and will try to catch his other shows. TV is not bringing in the news so will have to look online for results.

The moon is still out.

20221109_060804.thumb.jpg.23b38b166ee8f0391f427852f4b73104.jpg

Watch out for Doctor No LOL.

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

We've battened down the hatches.  Here we go again!  2 hurricanes in one year.

Sunrise cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Hornitos® Reposado Tequila
2 parts Orange Juice
2 dashes Grenadine
Orange Twist

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass, add ice, shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 7.42.42 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 11

51 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Okay, here's the reason for my unexpected adventure. Over the weekend, I got news that there actually may be some damage to our family's FL place from Hurricane Ian. So, Sunday, my DH and I set off for SW FL.

DH has not driven since his stroke and I can only manage seven hours behind the wheel (+stops). So, leaving Sunday means we will finally arrive later today.

And, while we were on the road, Hurricane Nicole has developed. So, this morning, I will be dodging her as I make my final push to my family's place. It looks to be a stormy drive.

Yesterday's drive was a long slog as the highways were filled with tons of semi trucks trying to reach their locations before Nicole. Add to that the convoy after convoy of out-of-state electric trucks arriving in preparation for Nicole damage. In fact, our 150 room Gainesville hotel is completely full with electric crews and their trucks.

-Melisa 

Drive safely, I don't know exactly where you're heading in SW Florida but right now things are cloudy and calm.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Well squalls from Nicole’s long reach have arrived. Bindi did not dawdle on our morning walk.

My County is taking this seriously. Ian caused terrible shore erosion and flooding - and we are still dealing with those after effects.  Nicole’s 4-6 inches of rain coupled with storm surge and the King tides of the full moon are expected to cause further infrastructure damage. 

Roy hope you are safely tucked in to your hotel. I found your menu intriguing.  Thank you for taking us along with you. Today I get my haircut and then do one class at the gym. The EXACT schedule I had the day before Ian hit! Good thing I am not superstitious. 😎

F37CF3F4-FAE3-4218-A93A-A3231ADCBC82.jpeg.da0fd2d859fb9ab199752e100445ed0a.jpeg

Prayers for all need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Mayacamas 2018 Merlot (Mount Veeder) Napa

This Merlot has lots of fans. It has excellent reviews, though it is a bit outside my budget range. I do not usually gravitate towards Merlots, but I would love a taste. A bit elusive, I found several online distributors with prices starting at $58.89.

Winemaker Notes

The wine opens with lifted aromatics of violet and lavender supported by a lovely fruit set of raspberry, plum, and dried blueberry. Savory tones of dried sage and fresh mint broaden the mid-palate, bringing detail and nuance to the wine’s mid-weight frame. The finish is persistent with lingering notes of red berry fruit, black tea, and dried herbs. 

Blend: 94% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

With 6% Cabernet Franc, both it and the Merlot aged in neutral French oak before spending additional time in foudre and barrel, this elegant wine is grippy in its youth, with undeniable structure and elegance. Chalky tannin and earthy iron, dried herb and violet accent beautiful layers of raspberry and plum. Built to age, enjoy best from 2028–2038.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa 

Melisa

Welcome & be safe. Now that you are in Florida, you need to dodge the FEMA trucks, too. I hope the damage to the family home is not too severe. 

Ann

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  We are waking up in New Buffalo with clouds and sun and 45.degrees. We have two more warm days and then we pay the price for weeks of warm weather and winter sets in.  I spoke with my DS and she said while visiting DB he would talk but not open his eyes.  We are all really worried about him.  Thanks for the Daily Reports and for our Care and celebrations list.  Roy I hope the Eurodam can port tomorrow and you can start your cruise.  Have a wonderful day! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning! I think we have been to today’s port of call. Will have to discuss with DW when she returns from her morning walk. Currently 60 and only will get up to 70 today. The soup doesn’t entice me but I will usually try something new and hopefully be surprised. 
For those in Nicole’s path your in our thoughts and prayers. The beach erosion from Ian is definitely continuing with this storm after watching live coverage.

Thanks for the reports and do pray news from Lenda shows improvement in her DW’s health.

• Like 19

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from a 2006 Blount Intracostal Waterway cruise from Long Island to Florida.  On November 9 we anchored overnight between Norfoll and Beaufort, NC:

photo_0015.jpg.4f41cf1c6f080e38d9d55e7262f2edff.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.

It is going to be a sunny day here in mid-Michigan with warmer temperatures.  The forecasted high is 64 for today and 73 for tomorrow.  I will gladly celebrate World Freedom Day, especially since we are free from the political ads.  Now I can watch a TV show without cringing every time an ad comes on.  

Unpacking is going much quicker than packing did.  It is also making me wonder why I saved some of the junk I did.  But, I did find my will!  It needs to be redone so I'll be calling on my esquire nephew soon.

Pumpkin is a very healthy food choice and we should incorporate it into our diet more often.  It isn't just for lattes and pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas!   

Clear Skin and Clear Eyesight: Like other bright orange foods, pumpkin is an excellent source of Vitamin A, a nutrient needed for clear, acne-free skin and sharp eyesight. One cup of boiled, mashed pumpkin delivers 245% of your recommended daily Vitamin A intake.

Aids Digestion & Weight-Loss: Fiber is a crucial component of a healthy diet, yet a whopping 97% of the American population isn’t eating enough. (1) Fiber aids in digestion and elimination and it helps you feel satisfied and full longer. Pumpkin adds fiber – about 3 grams per cup – on a minimal amount of calories – 50 for that same cup. It has an extremely low glycemic load – a 3 – which means it will not spike your blood sugar, and instead, will help keep it stable. If you’re trying to lose weight, consider adding more fresh pumpkin to your diet.

Sage is good for memory and also helps to boost mood.  

https://mariamarlowe.com/recipe/savory-pumpkin-sage-soup/

83674136_pumpkinsagesoup1.jpg.f5dfd52a60a194c1f55d1862d6b0757b.jpg

This next recipe is a little more on the thick side making it nice and hearty!  https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Savory-Pumpkin-and-Sage-Soup-Delish

231312197_pumpkinsagesoup2.jpg.b0415ae032af63486b7ac608c3ca0b98.jpg

Here's a quick and easy version:  https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/pumpkin-soup/

50893796_pumpkinsagesoup3.thumb.jpg.3afb015c6c2d0fcfa34a61781d1c4165.jpg

And here is the vegan/vegetarian version:  https://www.theedgyveg.com/2017/12/20/pumpkin-sage-soup-vegan-pumpkin-soup-recipe/

1845362796_pumpkinsagesoup4.thumb.jpg.c0a0ee01060bc438fd6d3b610fd96b05.jpg

That looks good for the upcoming weekend when the temperatures plummet and highs are only in the 30s.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Nicole day report, Rich.  I'll salute both Carl Sagan and World Freedom Days but won't be going to an Art Museum or anywhere else today, hunkering down for the day and getting a bit more optimistic about boarding Eurodam tomorrow.  I like the Monroe quote but have not been to Ilfracombe.  Not sure about the meal but probably better than what I will actually get today (other than a nice breakfast).  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Lamb Chop with Mint Chimichurri, and Dutch Apple Pie as served on MS Prinsendam November 9, 2017.

dishes09.jpg

I think the person I talked to at the front desk was not the sharpest tool in the shed.  It turns out he apparently made an additional reservation for LAST night.  I talked to the front desk this morning and have my room for another night.  We will sort out the details later this morning.

Today’s care list:

Those in the path of Nicole, including me and HAL Sailer
Quartzite Cruiser DH clot complications interrupting surgery
Kazu severe foot injury
Grapau27, smitty34877 postponing joint replacement
Kazu sister recovering from fall
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
Lady Hudson DH recovering from oral surgery
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy and new blood clot
Mister67 persistent hand injury
cruisin single step-son with double cancer and months of recovery before kidney removal
From the rotation:
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Cruisin Terri leak damage and recalcitrant insurance company
Sandi’s neighbor Linda recovering at home

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

New cat for 4966 and 556
Marshhawk at the Symphony
Sharon in Charleston
The end of election ads (except possibly in Georgia to 12/6)
Ichiban Nekko settling into new house
Sandi’s neighbor Linda well enough to receive visitors
Work about to start on Cruisin Terri’s house
1 day for me (hopefully) (Eurodam 11/10 to 11/20)
GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12), Dobiemom (NCL Bliss  to 11/13), CrazyForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/13), Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18), and  Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and my inclusion.

We had a lovely lunch today.

Christmas decorations at the restaurant.

Graham.

IMG_20221109_123352.jpg

IMG_20221109_112620.jpg

IMG_20221109_112523.jpg

• Like 23

Happy Wednesday Morning!  It is a clear and cool morning in Stone Mountain.  82 yesterday afternoon on our driveway lido deck, but by the time we got home the temps had dropped, and when I dropped into bed, I could hear and feel a strong breeze coming from the south.  Now its coming from the northwest, and it is quite chilly.  Temps are supposed to drop into the 30's by Friday morning, so we will have to  finish the feral Fawn's  winter room for her.  She did spend the night on the porch but I didn't turn the heater on.  This morning she was sleeping in a cat bed directly in front of the heater.  I guess she really did want it on last night.

I don't want to watch the TV today, as it will be political results, and I am hoping that there will be a runoff in Georgia, I just don't want to watch any more ads.  Did I see that date correctly from @rafinmd--December?  arghh.  But I do want to know about Nicole.  @HAL Sailer please be careful while you are down there, make sure you have some supplies with you. Like water and ready to eat food.  To all of my friends in Florida-please stay safe!  

The Symphony last night was very enjoyable.  The conductor was a hunk (something I would have immediately called Shari about)  The musical choices were good.  The violinist who played Bach was incredible.  She was a professor of music at Emory University. The final piece  was Tchaikovsky's 5th and it was a joy. DH said that the composer had taken a melody and beaten his audience to death with it, but I said I felt like I had been dragged across Russia several times, and dropped off in the Swiss alps.  My only problem was that having perfect pitch, there was one,  just one violin that was not in tune.  And the absolute upside?  When we left,  it took us less than 3 minutes to pull into our driveway.

funny-cats-9.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1