Open Booking Deposit Program

Keith1010

6 hours ago, crickette said:

Let me see if I have this straight.  They want $500 for an open booking, then when I decide on a cruise they want a deposit (in addition to the $500 I gave them for an open booking).   They they want payment in full.  Then they are going to give me back my $500 as an onboard credit, to pay for things I really don't want.  And if the cruise I choose is more than 90 days after they first sail, the onboard credit is reduced to ... 0?  Doesn't make sense to me - even people who love specific cabins and will pay a premium to ensure they can book it might be disappointed when the ship layout is reconfigured.

This does not seem to parallel the "open booking" methods of the Crystal most of us knew,.

Yes you have described it well.

For some the incentive is getting on a priority list for the actually booking and the as you wish credit whose amount varies based on one or two people on the booking and whether or not they are Crystal Society members is a plus for some..  And if itineraries are really related later this year it's putting out $500.00 for this and if you want to book realizing these benefits and if one does not want to book they can immediately cancel the open booking or some might be interested but not want to make a decision within 90 days so they could wait and use it later but no as you wish credit or just cancel.  

Like any promotion it might not be attractive to one person but attractive to someone else.

Keith

33 minutes ago, StoryMag said:

Keith - Are you suggesting use AmEx instead if Visa/MC? 

I learned a big lesson.  In my case I now  go with American Express for large purchases formany reasons and one is their customer service and the ease in which to work with them when something goes badly.

But this is based on my experience.  Like most things I saw some people post that they had good luck with other companies.  I did not.

Another lesson I learned is not to move money from one booking to the other. Way to complicated if you have to unwind this. Sometimes you don't have a choice but there were times I did and I should have cancelled and rebooked. Exception would be if there are administrative fees but then keeping a record of all of this is important.  

Keith

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Pat,

This is how it works.

To get the as you wish credit you have to book a cruise within 90 days from when the itineraries are released which is estimated to be in 4Q 2022.   

So say they allow the open deposits in two days.  You make the deposit.

Say the itineraries for 2023 and 2024 are released December 15 (I am making this date up) to get the as you wish credit you would have to make a firm booking for one of the itineraries within 90 days of the release of these itineraries. At the time you make the real booking your $500.00 deposit is moved to that specific booking.

I hope this helps to understand how this will work.

Keith

Keith,

Thank you for the clarification.  I got it now.

Pat

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes you have described it well.

Keith

Keith the person you responded to said that they would have to sail within 90 days of when Crystal first sails. That is incorrect.

They have to book within 90 days of when bookings first open for those who put down a $500 deposit, but that sailing doesn't have to be within 90 days of the first sailing.

1 hour ago, AtA said:

Keith the person you responded to said that they would have to sail within 90 days of when Crystal first sails. That is incorrect.

They have to book within 90 days of when bookings first open for those who put down a $500 deposit, but that sailing doesn't have to be within 90 days of the first sailing.

OK. Took me awhile but found it.

Yes while I didn't correct that specific post I have commented on the 90 days several times.

The 90 days only refers to getting the As You Wish Credit.  In short, if you put down the open deposit of $500 per suite to resize the As You Wish Savings (amount depends on one or two people on the booking, and Crystal Society Member or not) you must book one of the 2023/2024 sailings which will be announced later this year within 90 days of the time the itineraries are released.

However, if you choose not to book within 90 days the open booking remains out there unless you cancel it and you can use that open booking after the 90 day window but you won't get the As You Wish Credits.

Keith

12 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

See post 35 above.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.  

While I am getting up there in years and while I can't fly, I can read. And yes I read your post before I posted.    If there were no cases on CC where people answered the same questions, then threads would be half thire size. I know when I ask a question as important as this one, I do appreciate getting more than one answer just to be sure, particularly when someone references their TA told them something. Why?  Because there are plenty of times where erroneous information is passed on as things got lost in the translation.  Thankfully, this is a case where the answer is correct.

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 3:29 PM, TER777 said:

Also all 4 HDs are returning as is the bridge program and Ambassador Hosts. 

WIth respect to the bridge programs and Ambassador Hosts, my understanding is that nothing has been firmed up on Enrichment yet.  Only conversations.

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

WIth respect to the bridge programs and Ambassador Hosts, my understanding is that nothing has been firmed up on Enrichment yet.  Only conversations.

The question comes down to:  Is the value provided by the unique feature of bridge and hosts on all sailings, in terms of goodwill and increased bookings, worth the expense to New Crystal, both in terms of actual costs for those individuals and lost cabin revenue?

And since none of us have access to those valuations....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Old Sea Dog said:
44 minutes ago, avalon1025 said:

.  Also,  my agent won’t touch crystal right now 

Agents I’ve used in both the U.K. and US have both said the same.

If agents are doing this how is one able to make a deposit for a future booking??

Not all agents are refusing to book with the new Crystal. Call around, I'm sure you can find one who would be more than happy to have your future business.

Patty

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Old Sea Dog said:
1 hour ago, avalon1025 said:

.  Also,  my agent won’t touch crystal right now 

Agents I’ve used in both the U.K. and US have both said the same.

If agents are doing this how is one able to make a deposit for a future booking??

So they're willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces? (My mother's saying.)

• Like 4

23 hours ago, avalon1025 said:

Hard pass from everyone I sailed with.  Also,  my agent won’t touch crystal right now. 

My TA is looking forward to selling the new Crystal because they know the new Crystal is a totally different company owned by different companies from the old Crystal even though the old Crystal owes them money. They get it even if many posters do not get the difference regarding money lost or owed.

Ready to pay the advance booking fee and sail the new Crystal. I expect it to be at least as good as Silversea and Seabourn both of which we recently cruised with. Unfortunately neither came close enough to the old Crystal so Traveling the new Crystal is not much of a risk of disappointment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2