Open Booking Deposit Program

Keith1010

51 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

But you, or your TA, do have to keep a very close eye on their Air Dept as that appears to be a weak link.

I’ve heard that but our experience with their Air has been good - they booked us on our preferred airline and at good times and the booking appeared on My Silversea with details very early - probably 6 months or more out from our cruise

27 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’ve heard that but our experience with their Air has been good - they booked us on our preferred airline and at good times and the booking appeared on My Silversea with details very early - probably 6 months or more out from our cruise

At the end of the day, we ended up with a far better flight schedule, Toronto/Montreal/Buenos Aires with reasonable connections, but I shudder to think what someone who just trusted the Air Dept. could have ended up with! It was the fact that no one in the Air Dept initially saw anything wrong with the Santiago itinerary that concerned me!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

If you read the SS board, you seem to be the exception. They don't seem to be able to get their act together regarding their air.

As for us, we were getting the ship out of NYC. There are 3 airlines that fly direct from Sarasota to NYC.

However, they wanted to book us out of Tampa which is a 1 hour drive. Yes they'd provide their limo service, up to 50 miles. Problem? We are 54 miles outside of Tampa. We are a 10 minute drive from our Sarasota airport.

Edited by AtA

On 12/15/2022 at 7:07 PM, PaulMCO said:

Anyone notice the Port of Reykjavik schedule for Aug 2023??

Screenshot 2022-12-15 214436.png

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but...

My best friend (Jess) was going to book on Crystal for her honeymoon and was looking at itineraries with me since I knew Crystal fairly well and she had only been once. This was around October 2021, so before the bankruptcy. I remember she was looking at August 2023, for Iceland to somewhere in Northern Europe by way of the UK, and it was gonna be on Serenity which was to be bouncing back and forth to Iceland. I have decent memory of that specifically because there was a vague plan I had to be in Scotland with another friend (Brett) who I also had gotten on Crystal recently in mid-August around my birthday to be doing a whisky tour, and the itinerary would have had Jess and her wife in Edinburgh for an overnight at the same time Brett and I were planning to be in Scotland, so we were planning to meet up and hopefully if the policy was returned post-Covid, visit the ship to say hi to some crew and get a drink or two.

That's a long way of saying, I really suspect this is the old reservations for that and they just haven’t been cleared from the Reykjavik calendar.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2022 at 5:58 PM, Stickman1990 said:

You can certainly do that on Silversea  - it is an option to cash out certain elements of Door to Door on Silversea if you want. We didn’t as they presented great value for us eg door to door and business class air included 

Again, to cash out was still more money than if you had done port2port. I found SS overpriced for what we got.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AtA said:

Again, to cash out was still more money than if you had done port2port. I found SS overpriced for what we got.

Our 16 day cruise next month cost around A$24,000 and included business air to Cairns and from Singapore  (current cost around $10,000 for a couple on the same flights), transfers from/to home and to/from port (say $250) - so 42.5% of the total fare we paid was in air “benefits” so not a very expensive cruise after all that is factored in - I’m very happy with the value equation on it with included air 

Plus any required changes are going to be Silverseas problem not mine

For us it makes sense as opposed to cashing it out 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Embowaf said:

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but...

My best friend (Jess) was going to book on Crystal for her honeymoon and was looking at itineraries with me since I knew Crystal fairly well and she had only been once. This was around October 2021, so before the bankruptcy. I remember she was looking at August 2023, for Iceland to somewhere in Northern Europe by way of the UK, and it was gonna be on Serenity which was to be bouncing back and forth to Iceland. I have decent memory of that specifically because there was a vague plan I had to be in Scotland with another friend (Brett) who I also had gotten on Crystal recently in mid-August around my birthday to be doing a whisky tour, and the itinerary would have had Jess and her wife in Edinburgh for an overnight at the same time Brett and I were planning to be in Scotland, so we were planning to meet up and hopefully if the policy was returned post-Covid, visit the ship to say hi to some crew and get a drink or two.

That's a long way of saying, I really suspect this is the old reservations for that and they just haven’t been cleared from the Reykjavik calendar.

I stopped trying to read the tea leaves through port reservations for this very reason…. Given that not every reservation that legacy Crystal had this far out was published (they could have been part of a provisional change or backup situation because of the industry turmoil for the months before the shutdown), it was hard for me to figure out what was new and what was old.  Even if I compare the previously published itineraries and find differences, I still don’t have 100% confidence that all the differences are new or valid.

Vince

I considered that before posting it. Iceland is one of the few ports that post so far in advance. The schedule was not a stale schedule as it had newly named ships like the Silver Endeavour. 

We will see exactly when the release the schedules in a few months.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

I considered that before posting it. Iceland is one of the few ports that post so far in advance. The schedule was not a stale schedule as it had newly named ships like the Silver Endeavour. 

We will see exactly when the release the schedules in a few months.   

Definitely...  And I was in no way discrediting your post when I was relaying my experience -- the clues are out there and people far smarter than I can definitely make more sense of it than I've been able to with enough time and focus (especially by comparing archived pages).  That's just more than I was able to keep up with personally.  🙂 

Vince

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, AtA said:

IHowever, they wanted to book us out of Tampa which is a 1 hour drive. Yes they'd provide their limo service, up to 50 miles. Problem? We are 54 miles outside of Tampa. We are a 10 minute drive from our Sarasota airport.

Pay the deviation fee.   Yes, it hurts for such a short distance.   The system is based upon major airports, as you know.   Or, find your way to get within the 50 mile radius.   I'd walk four miles to save the deviation fee. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tv24 said:

As a previous Crystal customer, today I received an email solicitation for the deposit program.  At this time, I am not biting.  I will wait to see how the new Crystal shakes out.

Agree!  Just received that email. Want to see more specifics as to when they start re-sailing, the price/value factors, what locations/ports they will offer, etc.  Super enjoyed our 2008 Crystal Symphony sailing in the Baltics, but need to know more.  They say the money is "fully refundable", but I have heard that one before and am not totally trusting and confident.  Am I too pessimistic or doubtful?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

They say the money is "fully refundable", but I have heard that one before and am not totally trusting and confident.  Am I too pessimistic or doubtful?

As many of us learned the expensive lesson earlier this year, be mindful of the 520+/- day chargeback calendar period allowed by Visa, Mastercard and other credit card issuers when making advance payments to any vendor or supplier for services/products to be provided/delivered in the future.

Rob

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ryndam said:

As many of us learned the expensive lesson earlier this year, be mindful of the 520+/- day chargeback calendar period allowed by Visa, Mastercard and other credit card issuers when making advance payments to any vendor or supplier for services/products to be provided/delivered in the future.

Rob

You took the words right out of my mouth, Rob.  🙂  I just want to add two small points...

First, I would verify with your credit card issuer how they count the timing of an open booking.  Technically, services to be delivered in the future are defined by and bound by an expected date of service (even if it's just an estimate), so in the case of Visa and Mastercard especially, a booking that would never have an expected date of service could be subject to some weirdness if a particular credit card issuer chose to interpret a guideline how they wanted.  (We saw cases like this mentioned on the board.). That's one drawback to the way Visa and Mastercard's network is structured.  In concept though, you SHOULD have 540 days for an open booking -- but your issuer is the one that's going to have to argue it with the acquiring bank and merchant, so make sure your expectations are in alignment with your bank's.

The only other thing I'd remind everyone is that the timer doesn't reset once you convert the open booking into a confirmed booking.  Any money placed as a deposit on the open booking will still time out at a maximum of 540 days from the date of that charge (or whatever the time limit is for your particular card)...  So the earlier you place the open booking deposit, the less time you'd have to dispute those original funds.

This is the main reason I'm personally not booking right now -- I don't know when they're going to restart service, and when my actual booking would fall...  And I'm not booking any services with any travel supplier anywhere (not just cruise lines, or Crystal) that I can't get back via chargeback at this point.

Vince

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Agree!  Just received that email. Want to see more specifics as to when they start re-sailing, the price/value factors, what locations/ports they will offer, etc.  Super enjoyed our 2008 Crystal Symphony sailing in the Baltics, but need to know more.  They say the money is "fully refundable", but I have heard that one before and am not totally trusting and confident.  Am I too pessimistic or doubtful?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Terry, like most things each person has to decide their level of comfort and confidence.

I would be more worried booking air with Southwest Airlines right now.  Just kidding.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  

The open booking is $500.00 per booking so not something I am concerned about and I plan to make full deposits.  I will use American Express as they were so easy to deal with and one of the lessons I learned.    I leaned the lesson when the saplings were impacted due to COVID and used them for all new bookings. and easily got money back after Genting went under for the new ones.  Unfortunately I had money tied up with another credit card company who had already been a pain in the.......well you know what I mean and that money is lost.  

There is always risk but I feel confident in the ownership of Crystal Cruises.. 

But I would never tell anyone what to do when it comes to something like this.  Only what I am doing.  

Keith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I leaned the lesson when the saplings were impacted due to COVID and used them for all new bookings. and easily got money back after Genting went under for the new ones.  

Keith, love your typos/autocorrects!! Were those saplings Texas live oaks?

Patty

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Keith, love your typos/autocorrects!! Were those saplings Texas live oaks?

Patty

Patty, I used to blame this on auto correct, Patty.

Now I blame this on KenZSailing.

It is clearly all his fault.

Not mine.

But, his or someone but not me.

LOL.

Keith

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Patty, I used to blame this on auto correct, Patty.

Now I blame this on KenZSailing.

It is clearly all his fault.

Not mine.

But, his or someone but not me.

LOL.

Keith

I caught "saplings" too, but let it go.  Lesson learned, the typo gloves are off.  So I'll point out Keith "leaned" his lesson from the saplings, which I guess refers to a trip to the fitness center.

En garde!

• Like 1

Crystal has an institutional memory as to prior Guests.  That's us.  Received that email as to making an advance deposit for a 2023/2024 cruise--specifics provided later.    

Our institutional memory goes back about seven years on two, very-positive, Symphony segments on trans-Pacific cruises from/to USA California Ports to Auckland and Sydney.  Following our seasoned Travel Agent's (TA) guidance, always booked at Penthouse level to get what we considered a reasonable 300sq feet Suite "footprint".  

Continue to follow TA's advice.  We will be holding our water on this offer, pending more specifics.  

GOARMY!

• Like 5

I posted this in another thread but it is also relatable here so I have reposted with some adjustments here.

To help put things into perspective I was supposed to have taken my first Crystal Cruise 10 days after the shutdown.  I, like many others, was out some money.  I was luckily able to get it all back thanks to AMEX platinum. Then the open booking deposit program opened up.  A&K Crystal will not consider me as a returning customer, so I do not get the full advantages from the open booking program.  Does not matter that I had paid in full for the cancelled cruise, does not matter that I have a Crystal Society membership number.  Since I did not complete the cruise (through no fault of my own) I am not considered a returning customer.  Also was told by the A&K customer service rep that I would not be considered a new customer either since I had a Crystal Society membership number.  So, I do not qualify for the extended benefits for the open booking programs, and do not qualify for new customer booking incentives.  So, whether the old Crystal (where I never got to cruise) or the A&K Crystal (seems to not want me as a customer) it seems predestined that I not cruise on this line.  I would think that A&K Crystal would want someone like me who would not compare the two Crystals since I do not have an analytical comparison structure to follow since I never rode Crystal LLC.  I hope everyone who cruises with them has safe and enjoyable trips.  Maybe once they decide what my status is regarding the open booking program (since I am neither a returning customer or a new customer) I will revisit my stance regarding A&K Crystal.  

Safe travels,

Phelios

After some thought, I decided to pay the open deposit.  Filled out the form, and was told to check my email.  Email promptly received with a link to click for finalizing the process.

I did that, but nothing happens except a circle moving for less than a minute and then a blank screen.  i tried to call Crystal, but a recording states that the office is closed.  Maybe for the holidays?...but this is not mentioned on the email.

This experience does not engender confidence in the new Crystal. 

• Like 2

We talked with the Crystal rep that contacted us when I submitted the initial Open Deposit form. I basically had one question for him after I heard this Open Deposit for $500, which gets us $250 in OBC if we book within 90 days once the itineraries are released, will not work as a full deposit. Instead, we would have to submit the full 15% - 25% deposit (which would include the $500 from the OD). That question was is the deposit fully refundable? He didn’t have an answer. I asked him to either call me or send an email when he did. 

I know some of you are used to this type of administration fee. We’re not and really don’t plan on cruising with this “new” Crystal if they implement this policy from the start. 

29 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I know some of you are used to this type of administration fee. We’re not and really don’t plan on cruising with this “new” Crystal if they implement this policy from the start. 

We have traveled in the past on A&K land tours. We currently have an A&K land tour booked in 2023. A&K has a $500/pp/non-refundable cancellation fee for bookings canceled 121 days or more prior to departure. At 120 days (or less) the cancellation fees increase significantly. We acknowledge A&K's cancellation policy, and understand their business model, since many of their tours are capacity limited and sell out months in advance.

I'm not certain if A&K Cruises (aka "new Crystal") will follow its parent company's deposit protocol, or if it will change as operations ramp up.

Rob

Edited by ryndam
typo

24 minutes ago, ryndam said:

We have traveled in the past on A&K land tours. We currently have an A&K land tour booked in 2023. A&K has a $500/pp/non-refundable cancellation fee for bookings canceled 121 days or more prior to departure. At 120 days (or less) the cancellation fees increase significantly. We acknowledge A&K's cancellation policy, and understand their business model, since many of their tours are capacity limited and sell out months in advance.

I'm not certain if A&K Cruises (aka "new Crystal") will follow its parent company's deposit protocol, or if it will change as operations ramp up.

Rob

I get the land tours. That makes sense as there is limited capacity. And that's fine if A&K wants to extend their $500 pp 121+ day cancellation policy to their new Crystal cruise ship offerings that can each accommodate 800+ passengers. That's their call. We'll just have to wait and see how this policy unfolds.

• Like 1