lanyards

xray0111

I know this has been discussed many times but I can't find it doing a search.

Will they punch a hole in the onboard charge card when boarding so that you can attach it to a lanyard?  We have the protective clear holders but prefer the other.  Just starting to pack for our Odyssey of the Seas and trying not to pack anything we won't need or use.  

Thanks, XRAY

26 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I don't use lanyards, but from this question being asked so often, the answer is they generally will not punch a hole in the RFID cards b/c it could damage the chip.

They used to punch holes in them, even with the RFID chip. You just had to let them be the ones to punch the hole because they knew where it was safe. They don't seem to do it anymore though.

9 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Please do not use a lanyard.

It is a bad look

Literally everyone on this ship is wearing them. Not a bad look at all, everyone's on vacation and causally dressed, and it blends in with the vacation outfit. Plus it's super convenient, especially if you don't have pockets (sundresses) and don't want to carry around a bag all day.  

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I don't use lanyards, but from this question being asked so often, the answer is they generally will not punch a hole in the RFID cards b/c it could damage the chip.

Sorry Mike, but that one is totally incorrect...I have them punched every cruise, last cruise was in September...I use the wrist scrunchy.  The lanyard tends to whack me in the face up on windy decks.  It's really a girl thing men have pockets.

key.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Sorry Mike, but that one is totally incorrect...I have them punched every cruise, last cruise was in September...I use the wrist scrunchy.  The lanyard tends to whack me in the face up on windy decks.  It's really a girl thing men have pockets.

key.jpg

Depends on ship, not all use RFID cards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

They used to punch holes in them, even with the RFID chip. You just had to let them be the ones to punch the hole because they knew where it was safe. They don't seem to do it anymore though.

I recall a special punch that made an oval hole. 

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Just go to guest services or even the excursion desk if it's busy and ask...

I don't think that the grandeur has RFID locks. 

What folks need to understand that it isn't "avoid the chip when punching a hole". If you shine a flashlight, you will see that in addition to the main RFID chip, there is an antenna loop that runs around the card, at the edge of the card with internal wiring from the chip to the antenna loop. This is why you should never punch an RIFD card. Use the RFI fan symbol to see where this is on the card. 

image.png.8c310bef1bf1a1f0d2cb3e3103eddde7.png

image.thumb.png.0c5afbc174731ea06ce75f379307d44d.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Literally everyone on this ship is wearing them. Not a bad look at all, everyone's on vacation and causally dressed, and it blends in with the vacation outfit. Plus it's super convenient, especially if you don't have pockets (sundresses) and don't want to carry around a bag all day.  

I second that!  However, I never wear a lanyard when off the ship/port of call, except Coco Cay and Labadee.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

I take a whole punch of my own.  It takes a little effort to put the hole in the card but it can be done.  Someone posted a picture, in a different thread a while ago, of a high intensity light/flashlight behind the card and you can see the electronic stuff inside, punch where there is no evidence of electronic stuff.

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

It's really a girl thing men have pockets.

Understood. That's where my wife's usually is... in my pocket. I don't mind though; it's easier to use her vouchers that way. 😁

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

They wouldn't punch a hole in mine yesterday on symphony., and I don't see anyone else wearing their seapass cards without the plastic holder.

we noticed recently that the cards are not as robust as they were ... the film was starting to peel off on the corners and one of ours actually cracked !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Please do not use a lanyard.

It is a bad look

A "bad look"?  LOL!  I recently completed my first cruise.  I'd say probably 75% of passengers were wearing one, including me (because it was so convenient).  I don't worry about what others think.  I didn't wear it when I was in port walking around, though just about anyone would have known I'd come off the ship.  

• Like 3