Sushi On Five

mcrcruiser

X  keep changing this restaurant .At one time there was no  cover charges   ^ we would go there when first boarding  the  ship   on embarkation day 

For lunch now what is the menu & cover charge  .If we like  the food it we may still   go there on embarkation day vs the Ocean   View cafe  with carry ons ?  TIA for your replies 

When we sail Holland America as soon as we are on the ship all cabins are ready for the pax  ,then we do not have to wheel around the carry ons 

Sushi on 5 is located in the same space which originally had Bistro on 5.  My memory is that Bistro on 5 had cover charges.  We actually prefer Sushi on 5; prices are ala carte.  Be sure to download the Celebrity app as it has the menu (which is standard across the fleet), or use the search function to find a Sushi on 5 menu.

Following the pandemic Celebrity has made some changes.  For example, you now go directly to your stateroom after boarding to pick up your sea pass cards (you will not get them in the cruise terminal).  The sea pass cards will be outside your stateroom in the mail slot holder.  While your stateroom attendant may not have totally completed the stateroom cleaning (in that case there will a magnetic sign on the door stating something along the lines of "perfection in progress"), but you are free to drop off your carryons and put valuables in the safe.  No more having to tote carry on bags around the ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Sushi on 5 is located in the same space which originally had Bistro on 5.  My memory is that Bistro on 5 had cover charges.  We actually prefer Sushi on 5; prices are ala carte.  Be sure to download the Celebrity app as it has the menu (which is standard across the fleet), or use the search function to find a Sushi on 5 menu.

Following the pandemic Celebrity has made some changes.  For example, you now go directly to your stateroom after boarding to pick up your sea pass cards (you will not get them in the cruise terminal).  The sea pass cards will be outside your stateroom in the mail slot holder.  While your stateroom attendant may not have totally completed the stateroom cleaning (in that case there will a magnetic sign on the door stating something along the lines of "perfection in progress"), but you are free to drop off your carryons and put valuables in the safe.  No more having to tote carry on bags around the ship.

Thanks will do  the download  . Going to the stateroom when first getting on the ship   makes sense . We are in a handicap cabin   with a scooter as well ,so this makes life easier   . one of us uses the scooter the other has wheel chair  help  to the cabin   .Then we are ok  

@mcrcruiser:  One of the other changes you will find is how Celebrity now handles the muster drill.  You will watch the video on the app or on your stateroom TV (we use the app) and then report to the muster station with your sea pass cards to be "checked off the list."  Celebrity is trying to avoid folks congregating in small spaces (ie, being crowded into muster stations).  So much easier, particularly since one of you will be using a scooter.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 10:06 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks will do  the download  . Going to the stateroom when first getting on the ship   makes sense . We are in a handicap cabin   with a scooter as well ,so this makes life easier   . one of us uses the scooter the other has wheel chair  help  to the cabin   .Then we are ok  

As others have said boarding is now easier in several ways…

Luggage can be dropped off on boarding (although your room may not be fully ready).

Muster, easy to complete, no waiting around for others.

The cafe doesn’t stay so full…with no hand luggage guests tend to eat and head off to a bar rather than ‘hog’ an Oceanview table until the rooms open announcement.

Sushi is a good option on boarding, eat as little or as much as you want and just pay for what you eat. Plenty of none sushi options.

Remember if there are other things that could make your cabin easier to use to simply chat to your room attendant. They can usually round up anything from stools to additional towels…

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

2 hours ago, alfiemom said:

I love sushi.  However, if you read some does and don’ts on cruises, eating sushi is one of the don’ts.  

Maybe true for buffets, but certainly not in a restaurant like Sushi on Five where fish is kept at safe/cold temperature.

The one thing I think Celebrity made a mistake with was naming the restaurant Sushi on 5.  Check out the menu; there is SO much more than just sushi!  I’m sure lots of people never even look at the menu because they don’t eat sushi.  (On the other hand maybe that’s good for those of us who like the restaurant…)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, helen haywood said:

The one thing I think Celebrity made a mistake with was naming the restaurant Sushi on 5.  Check out the menu; there is SO much more than just sushi!  I’m sure lots of people never even look at the menu because they don’t eat sushi.  (On the other hand maybe that’s good for those of us who like the restaurant…)

My wife will not eat sushi, but she loves Sushi on 5 because they offer some really good non-sushi Japanese items that are cooked. We always do lunch at least once on a cruise there.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

My wife will not eat sushi, but she loves Sushi on 5 because they offer some really good non-sushi Japanese items that are cooked. We always do lunch at least once on a cruise there.

Similar situation here, although my wife does enjoy some sushi, she much prefers the noodle options, and gyoza etc.

It is a sufficiently diverse menu to allow non-sushi eaters a good choice, so people shouldn't avoid it just because someone in their party doesn't want 'raw fish' 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Retired888 said:

Maybe true for buffets, but certainly not in a restaurant like Sushi on Five where fish is kept at safe/cold temperature.

Actually, they keep the fish frozen until ready to use.  It is not fresh fish.  We ate there and the sushi was good.  This information was from the restaurant manager.

15 minutes ago, Retired888 said:

I know that.  Sushi grade fish is actually frozen because there is a freezing process which kills most parasites.  People who catch a fish off the sea and eat them raw are not realizing the risk of parasites

You are correct and here is an article that explains the process.

Sushi-Grade Fish: What Is It and Where to Buy | Alaskan Salmon Co. – Alaskan Salmon Co. (aksalmonco.com)

21 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Anyone know please if you need to book for lunch on embarkation day? I’m trying the app & earliest available slot is 6pm. Just wonder if we can turn up once we have boarded? It’s for May on Silhouette. Thank you 

I’m not aware of any dining venue on Celebrity that accepts reservations for lunch. 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:38 AM, itzfitz said:

Actually, they keep the fish frozen until ready to use.  It is not fresh fish.  We ate there and the sushi was good.  This information was from the restaurant manager.

A lot of sushi restaurants in Japan do that as well.  Keep in mind the Japanese flash freeze vs putting in a standard freezer.  Flash freezing preserves the food much better.

• 2 months later...

Can you order just 1 dish and drinks in Sushi on Five or possibly just the desert and a beverage? I'm thinking this might make for a nice late afternoon snack or after dinner treat. Is there a required minimum charge at this restaurant? 

Edited by kathynorth