Tipping

Kahawali

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

Daily gratuities are included in the packages you mention.  If someone does not want to pay the expected gratuities, they shouldn't buy the package.   There are other packages for drinks and wifi, that do not include gratuities.  So, I guess those 75% are deciding not to do options 1 or 2.  Hope the remaining 25% do the same.       

Not true.  If one is silly enough to purchase the separate - and very expensive - alcohol beverage packages via the Cruise Personalizer, the 18% bar gratuity is baked into the price, so no way to dodge that one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

Let us not forget dress codes!  😀

In Club Class last night on the Island, we sat next to a guy who wore a ball cap throughout dinner.
Him doing so did not cause my spine to curve, hair to grow on my hands nor, God help us, bring us peace without honor (GC). 
Said another way, the ship is still afloat and the MDR did not appear to suffer any casualties. 

Life goes merrily on. 😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not true.  If one is silly enough to purchase the separate - and very expensive - alcohol beverage packages via the Cruise Personalizer, the 18% bar gratuity is baked into the price, so no way to dodge that one.

There apparently is not an option to purchase a less expensive package.  If that is what you mean, then yep I agree (see post #85).     Otherwise, there is an option to not purchase package(s), and that was my real point. 

Edited by ldubs
For clarity

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That's what I initially was thinking.  But I don't think poster was handing out $10 bills daily to the room steward and MDR wait staff.  I understood the poster to say that the crew appreciation was reduced to $10 (instead of $16.50)  daily for all.  Putting poster into Level 2.

That is why I asked my not very well asked question.  I don't understand why someone who claims they spend 4x on more on fares than the average passenger would shave $6.50 a day.  Just seems the wrong choice for pinching pennies.    

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The crew does not know who has opted out of the automatic tipping.  It also would not tell them anything as I usually opt out, but tip probably $40 a day for DW and self in cash (more to those who gave best service).

Agree it is unfortunate that those with a no tipping culture - we lived in Australia - cannot go with the flow in places where tipping is the norm.  What goes around comes around - had friends on a B2B who gave no tips.  Service was poor on the second leg until I discussed tipping with the Aussies and they quickly handed out a bunch of envelopes with notes of apology and cash.

On a previous cruise when we gave wait staff an envelope they asked for last name and cabin#. I asked why and was told if the person giving the envelope or cash had opted out of standard gratuity then the money went back into the pool. If not, then into their pockets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Sorry.  Everything I said is true.    There is an option to not purchase the package(s).  There apparently is not an option to purchase a less expensive package.  If that is what you mean, then yep I agree.    

Not quite everything true.  In the earlier discussion I quoted, you had replied the following to the point that PLUS and PREMIER cruise fare options have gratuities (crew appreciation) baked in >> "There are other packages for drinks and wifi, that do not include gratuities.".  Continuing on the topic of drinks, every drink package sold has bar gratuity of 18% baked in to the total cost paid.  I was just clarifying in my post above that there is no way to dodge the baked in bar gratuity whether Plus/Premier cruise fare or separate beverage package.

Internet (MedallionNet) has never been a tippable service.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Not quite everything true.  In the earlier discussion I quoted, you had replied the following to the point that PLUS and PREMIER cruise fare options have gratuities (crew appreciation) baked in >> "There are other packages for drinks and wifi, that do not include gratuities.".  Continuing on the topic of drinks, every drink package sold has bar gratuity of 18% baked in to the total cost paid.  I was just clarifying in my post above that there is no way to dodge the baked in bar gratuity whether Plus/Premier cruise fare or separate beverage package.

Internet (MedallionNet) has never been a tippable service.

Yes, thanks and I understand.  I realized the error of my response and did some heavy editing -- too late as usual.   My original comment about other beverage plans was intended to mean they did not include the daily $15 (or whatever) gratuity. I hadn't thought about the 18% beverage grat.   All my mistake for poorly worded comments.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

On a previous cruise when we gave wait staff an envelope they asked for last name and cabin#. I asked why and was told if the person giving the envelope or cash had opted out of standard gratuity then the money went back into the pool. If not, then into their pockets. 

That is also what I understand the policy to be. But, how long ago was that previous cruise as we all know things may have changed post-Covid?

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That is why I asked my not very well asked question.  I don't understand why someone who claims they spend 4x on more on fares than the average passenger would shave $6.50 a day.  Just seems the wrong choice for pinching pennies.    

I completely agree. I feel like when I go out for dinner at a nice restaurant in the US - I spend more tipping for one meal than I do for an entire day that includes much more individuals (room steward who stops by 2x a day).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I completely agree. I feel like when I go out for dinner at a nice restaurant in the US - I spend more tipping for one meal than I do for an entire ship that includes much more individuals (room steward who stops by 2x a day).

I had not thought of it that way.  Good point.   

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That is also what I understand the policy to be. But, how long ago was that previous cruise as we all know things may have changed post-Covid?

Royal- May 28, 2022

Edited by Yehootu
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, caribill said:

As has been said by people wiser than I, no one can take advantage of you without your permission. 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

23 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Royal- May 28, 2022

Caribbean Princess - January 2022.  We placed our tips and a thank you note in envelopes for our wait staff but forgot to include our names and cabin number on the outside of the envelope.  They very politely asked us to do so.  We very politely apologized saying we knew that but two years without cruising had turned some of our long term memory to mush.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

Royal- May 28, 2022

Thanks, that is definitely post-Covid. So, it seems that the policy regarding tips has not changed concerning the crew handing in tips and not having to share extra tips only when the tips have not been removed by the passenger.

By definition, all the posters on this forum are relatively rich by world standards. 

Your steward makes around $10-12K per annum pre tip. That’s not even minimum wage here in CA. It’s about average third world income in the more prosperous countries. 

So be generous. Note that most of these people come from very poor countries. You all can afford to share. 

• Like 5