Time change

STIguy

I can’t stand the policy of changing clocks twice on a 7 day Caribbean cruise. 
Currently off the Cuban coast but still on Atlantic time. 
The crew hates it more than the passengers. Plain stupidity. 
Hey RCI! Your time change policy SSSSSSUCKS!

I was on the Navigator last week. We had several time changes, and a fellow passenger was complaining about it. He said that other cruise lines don't do this... ?  I have no clue, maybe depends on the itinerary?

While I don't particularly like it, I am used to it happening pretty regularly on the cruises I have been on.

It's not cruise line policy. It's up to each Captain.  We were on Jewel Nov 6-19 and at the Captain's Corner on the first leg, the Captain had reported aboard with us on 6 Nov and he said he hated not changing the clocks as we were in DR, PR and St. Maarten which were all 1 hour ahead of ship time.  Previous Captain hadn't changed the policy before he got off and he hadn't had time to make adjustments, but it was his decision.

• Thanks 1

I actually found it more confusing NOT to switch to local time. We had 2 days in a row where we were at ports in the central time zone (an hour behind ship time). Our phone clocks continued to pick up the local time for several hours after leaving port, making it so we constantly had to check the RC app to see what the ship time was (because we weren't sure at what point we would cross over to the eastern time zone again.

When you have dining and show reservations it's annoying not to be able to look at your phone and see what time it is, and to have to check the app to make sure you get places on time. 

That leads me to another realization that I confirmed about myself, which is that I really dislike being on a schedule on vacation. Having to revolve my day around dining and show reservations I made on the first day was really annoying. I wish it was easier to decide what restaurants and shows to attend on the day-of without risking not being able to go at all. I just got off Symphony and had to make all my reservations the minute I boarded the ship. I was annoyed every day that I had to go to dinner when I wasn't hungry yet, or that I had to wait to go to dinner when I was hungry now (I had the dining package). 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I actually found it more confusing NOT to switch to local time. We had 2 days in a row where we were at ports in the central time zone (an hour behind ship time). Our phone clocks continued to pick up the local time for several hours after leaving port, making it so we constantly had to check the RC app to see what the ship time was (because we weren't sure at what point we would cross over to the eastern time zone again.

When you have dining and show reservations it's annoying not to be able to look at your phone and see what time it is, and to have to check the app to make sure you get places on time. 

That leads me to another realization that I confirmed about myself, which is that I really dislike being on a schedule on vacation. Having to revolve my day around dining and show reservations I made on the first day was really annoying. I wish it was easier to decide what restaurants and shows to attend on the day-of without risking not being able to go at all. I just got off Symphony and had to make all my reservations the minute I boarded the ship. I was annoyed every day that I had to go to dinner when I wasn't hungry yet, or that I had to wait to go to dinner when I was hungry now (I had the dining package). 

Always turn off the “auto update” feature on your phones clock. 
maybe try NCL, they are much less schedule regimented 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

My mother always taught me to be very careful with that word, "hate".  It is an extremely strong verb.  Save it for things that truly matter.

This isn't one of them.

Be like Bob Dylan "Don't hate nothin' at all except hatred."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Why don’t you set your cellphone so that is remains on ship time and doesn’t change with your ports?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Why don’t you set your cellphone so that is remains on ship time and doesn’t change with your ports?

Because then whatever would there be to piss and moan about????

On Oasis the past three weeks, haven't changed time at all.  A little card gets left on the bed when we have a port day that's a different time zone than the ship.  

Putting my phone's time setting on "manual" at the beginning of a cruise is standard procedure for me, just like turning on Airplane Mode.  Seems to be much too difficult a thing for some people to figure out, though.

And yes, as has been stated previously, the CAPTAIN decides the time changes, not corporate.  There is no standard policy, from what I've been able to ascertain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, superduper123 said:

I was on the Navigator last week. We had several time changes, and a fellow passenger was complaining about it. He said that other cruise lines don't do this... ?  I have no clue, maybe depends on the itinerary?

While I don't particularly like it, I am used to it happening pretty regularly on the cruises I have been on.

Got off Disney Wonder last week.  Pretty much the same route a Navigator.   Had a 1 hour time change to accommodate a short stop in Cabo.  I do love the 6 time changes on a WB transatlantic. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Because then whatever would there be to piss and moan about????

On Oasis the past three weeks, haven't changed time at all.  A little card gets left on the bed when we have a port day that's a different time zone than the ship.  

Putting my phone's time setting on "manual" at the beginning of a cruise is standard procedure for me, just like turning on Airplane Mode.  Seems to be much too difficult a thing for some people to figure out, though.

And yes, as has been stated previously, the CAPTAIN decides the time changes, not corporate.  There is no standard policy, from what I've been able to ascertain. 

After getting four of those cards...I made a little offering by one of the little towel animals to recycle them... after I told the cabin attendant we didn't need any more of them.  😉   It is listed on the daily compass.  

2 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I felt the same way on my cruise earlier this month.

• Like 1