Convince a Carnival cruiser to try NCL

groundloop

Cabins are larger on CCL. Itineraries are similar. NCL is 100% free style dining whereas CCL has both fixed and anytime dining. The ships on NCL tend to be a bit nicer, but having sailed both numerous times you won't find a lot of difference in the two lines, though I think you get more bang for your buck on NCL.

4 hours ago, groundloop said:

I've mostly sailed Carnival so far (15 cruises on Carnival, one on HAL) and am thinking it's time to branch out.

If you've sailed on both NCL and Carnival please tell me what you like / dislike about both.

15 Cruises on Carnival is impressive. From your perspective, what is Carnival now lacking that is making you consider other options? IOW, what are you hoping to find in NCL that Carnival has failed to deliver for you?

• Like 2

Don’t book with NCL. I am supposed to board in the morning when trying to find area to print luggage tags they cancelled my booking. I called customer service and they said I hadn’t paid so it was cancelled. Told me to call my travel agent he can’t get anywhere either. Payment was made in July. I have to go to the port in the morning and pray it can be fixed. So my any stay away from NCL. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hockeymum said:

Don’t book with NCL. I am supposed to board in the morning when trying to find area to print luggage tags they cancelled my booking. I called customer service and they said I hadn’t paid so it was cancelled. Told me to call my travel agent he can’t get anywhere either. Payment was made in July. I have to go to the port in the morning and pray it can be fixed. So my any stay away from NCL. 

Don’t do travel agents!😂

• Like 9

hockeymum.

since you can check in on line 21 days before sailing, didnt you get your cruise docs? your luggage tags would have been available to print with the docs. if you didnt get your cruise docs, didnt you think it was kind of strange that 21 days out you had not as yet received them.

and how long did you wait before you contacted ncl or your travel agent.

in any event, i certainly sympathize with your problem and hope all works out. please let us all know what happens

• Like 7

groundloop.

why dont you go on the ncl website, check out their prices and destinations, and go ahead and book what looks appealing to you.

if it's within your travel budget, book a haven suite. if you do, you may never consider carnival again.

• Like 1

Can't really sway anyone since it's always down to personal preferences, but here's my experience as a regular NCL cruiser who just recently tried Carnival again.

Carnival felt more fun overall. I know they call themselves the Funship, but I have to say head to head it does feel like correct branding. The cruise director we had was so active. There was almost always some high energy event going on if you wanted it, and chill stuff if you didn't. Their drink package seems better for the most part as well. The downside of a hard 15 limit was more than offset by never feeling limited (I never found anything that wasn't included, and I ordered stuff that's specifically plus tier on NCL), and it including coffees, energy drinks, and waters. 

Really I don't need more than 15 drinks (who really does?) but I do like when the limit isn't there I can be a little bolder on my drink choices and if I don't like it no harm, wait a few minutes and go back for another that I do like. 

So from an energy/fun level, I think Carnival wins.

NCL (which I'm going on in 2 weeks again) to me feels a little more laid back. There's not all the hype hype hype type vibe you get with Carnival. The shows feel a little calmer, the crowd a little chiller. They tend to bake the drink package into their rates a lot more where Carnival doesn't seem to offer that as often, and when they do the rates available that can use it are usually higher so it's a wash. There's no 15 limit which is great if you have an open mind and want to try new things risk free knowing  you can move on if you didn't like it, but there is a lot more gated into the "Plus" level now. 

Years ago before plus, lots of things I drank were in the basic beverage package. Now a lot of things have creeped up to Plus tier which means at a minimum you'll have a dollar or two upcharge per drink depending on the drink. No coffees, no energy drinks, no waters.

They do have the Vibe on some ships though which is a nice area if you can get in. Adult only, private bar, private hot tubs, and private bathrooms. Never crowded, like ever. So if you like a lot of sun deck action and hate hunting for loungers, this can't be beat.

So really each has their perks, each has some negatives, it's a vacation no matter who you choose. Just depends on your style, if you like the carnival parties and the cruise director bringing a mob of passengers bar hopping you'll miss that on NCL where it's just not a thing. 

Worst case try a low cost NCL trip, even a short one, and see how you feel about it when done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeymum said:

This seems like a mistake made by the travel agent, not NCL. 

Not to hijack but more information is needed.....

• Like 3

I cruise both and enjoy both. They offer different things.

Carnival is cheap but the crowd can be obnoxious. NCL is often more expensive but their free at sea can often make it a push price wise.

Carnival has better quick eat options like Guys, Shaqs, Blue Iguana etc but NCL offers lunch in dining room if you prefer. Also the O'Sheehans, The Local are open late. Much  later than the pizza on Carnival.

Carnival has a better drink package as it includes specialty coffee and milkshakes but NCLs is unlimmited and you can get more than 1 drink at a time.

Carnival is fun if you want a mindless vacation where you can eat, drink and have a raucous time. 

If you are visiting more "specialty" ports, go NCL. We loved NCL for Alaska, New England to Quebec, and several times in the Med.

5 hours ago, Juncti said:

Can't really sway anyone since it's always down to personal preferences, but here's my experience as a regular NCL cruiser who just recently tried Carnival again.

Carnival felt more fun overall. I know they call themselves the Funship, but I have to say head to head it does feel like correct branding. The cruise director we had was so active. There was almost always some high energy event going on if you wanted it, and chill stuff if you didn't. Their drink package seems better for the most part as well. The downside of a hard 15 limit was more than offset by never feeling limited (I never found anything that wasn't included, and I ordered stuff that's specifically plus tier on NCL), and it including coffees, energy drinks, and waters. 

Really I don't need more than 15 drinks (who really does?) but I do like when the limit isn't there I can be a little bolder on my drink choices and if I don't like it no harm, wait a few minutes and go back for another that I do like. 

So from an energy/fun level, I think Carnival wins.

NCL (which I'm going on in 2 weeks again) to me feels a little more laid back. There's not all the hype hype hype type vibe you get with Carnival. The shows feel a little calmer, the crowd a little chiller. They tend to bake the drink package into their rates a lot more where Carnival doesn't seem to offer that as often, and when they do the rates available that can use it are usually higher so it's a wash. There's no 15 limit which is great if you have an open mind and want to try new things risk free knowing  you can move on if you didn't like it, but there is a lot more gated into the "Plus" level now. 

Years ago before plus, lots of things I drank were in the basic beverage package. Now a lot of things have creeped up to Plus tier which means at a minimum you'll have a dollar or two upcharge per drink depending on the drink. No coffees, no energy drinks, no waters.

They do have the Vibe on some ships though which is a nice area if you can get in. Adult only, private bar, private hot tubs, and private bathrooms. Never crowded, like ever. So if you like a lot of sun deck action and hate hunting for loungers, this can't be beat.

So really each has their perks, each has some negatives, it's a vacation no matter who you choose. Just depends on your style, if you like the carnival parties and the cruise director bringing a mob of passengers bar hopping you'll miss that on NCL where it's just not a thing. 

Worst case try a low cost NCL trip, even a short one, and see how you feel about it when done.

Id like to know how you find a low priced cruise on NCL

• Like 1

I think trying different cruise lines is a great idea! We like both lines. We had exclusively sailed Carnival with our kids then decided to switch it up and try NCL several years ago. We loved both those cruises and the ships were awesome. The ships were bigger than Carnival and didn't seem crowded at all. I like the free at sea promo that is always running so you get the drink package, wifi, specialty dining and Shore excursion credit with NCL booking.

We also loved the casual dining at O'Sheehans (bar and grill, fun atmosphere) in the evening if we didn't feel up to going to the main dining room.

If you have kids, there is tons for them to do on NCL ships. 

One thing we did miss though is all the free specialty restaurants that Carnival offers during the daytime like Guys, Bbq place, Blue Iguana, etc. The NCL ships we sailed on didn't really have that type of offering for lunch so we just ate at the buffet everyday.

I think Carnival offers more diverse itineraries than NCL but there are still some great itineraries on NCL. 

We haven't sailed NCL since before covid and lately have been sailing Carnival because their deals are too hard to pass up however we are itching to go on a NCL cruise again. 

Good luck!

12 hours ago, hockeymum said:

Oh my, that sounds terrible. 😒 Wishing you good luck 🤞

Do you have some proof of payment like a credit card statement showing that you paid NCL?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Oh my, that sounds terrible. 😒 Wishing you good luck 🤞

Do you have some proof of payment like a credit card statement showing that you paid NCL?

Don't think we'll hear from OP again....not a regular poster and doesn't stay on top of things.

My bet...she paid the TA but the TA never submitted payment to NCL.  

As far as NCL vs CCL....I enjoy them both.  One major difference is "the passengers".   Slightly more sophisticated crowd on NCL.  The other difference is the buffet....NCL's is excellent.  You won't starve on Carnival...but the selections don't compare.

18 hours ago, groundloop said:

I've mostly sailed Carnival so far (15 cruises on Carnival, one on HAL) and am thinking it's time to branch out.

If you've sailed on both NCL and Carnival please tell me what you like / dislike about both.

It may depend upon which port  you want.

For example, from New Orleans

carnival cruises on Valor.

NCL uses Breakaway.

There is simply no comparison between the two.

On any given itinerary, the ports and shore excursions will be the same.

If you cruise in suites, NCL offers perks for suites, Carnival does not.

Haven't sailed on Carnival since my first cruise as a kid in the 80's. We looked into doing a last minute Xmas cruise with them this year. Could get into a suite for about 3K total for a short 4-5 night cruise over Xmas. Price seemed too good to be true, and when I found videos of the cabin - you get what you pay for. 

I guess I'm a bit spoiled, but the cabins on Carnival looked so cheap, like worse than a college dorm room type of cheap. The room isn't everything, but when you're looking at one of the best rooms on the ship and even that was making my skin itch with ick factor... yeah, it's not for us.

14 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

This seems like a mistake made by the travel agent, not NCL. 

Not to hijack but more information is needed.....

I tend to agree with you. Why do I think that the TA never paid NCL?

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Don't think we'll hear from OP again....not a regular poster and doesn't stay on top of things.

My bet...she paid the TA but the TA never submitted payment to NCL.  

As far as NCL vs CCL....I enjoy them both.  One major difference is "the passengers".   Slightly more sophisticated crowd on NCL.  The other difference is the buffet....NCL's is excellent.  You won't starve on Carnival...but the selections don't compare.

maybe hockeymum has a few more important things to do today like getting on the ship.