Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

1st Chic Night Dinner

I started with the squab (way to big for a starter)

8A706C4D-B0DD-4D77-84B3-E90BE8BFA5F5.thumb.jpeg.f519c4ecb9b1a5f52b50cba09fb457c9.jpeg

Iain had the Rack of Lamb from MDR 

09D51940-24D9-49B1-96A5-D4B5EF723199.thumb.jpeg.7a0ec0067f6ff005c29626c604b6fb35.jpeg

I had the Halibut

9BB567FA-1E3C-4DBB-BA8F-C6A016657993.thumb.jpeg.bb5904c95a14d2fa0ea6d6e532a7f936.jpeg

For desert Raspberry Pistachio Vacherin

44D307B2-8942-43B3-8F70-4E7424977E1A.thumb.jpeg.405f4537474056eefef6bbe71262d59d.jpeg

On 12/4/2022 at 8:08 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Love the room but it is right under an area in Ocean View where they roll the cars of dirty dishes to the Service Area.   Started hearing them roll the carts starting at 6:30. 

Thank goodness or those Wonderful Bose Sleep Buds.   Don't  hear a thing.  

I just asked my husband to buy myself a pair of these for Christmas! Thank you for the recommendation. I think we might have been booked in the same cabin coming up on Sunday but i managed to switch it to one on the next deck below thankfully. 

10 minutes ago, janbear said:

I just asked my husband to buy myself a pair of these for Christmas! Thank you for the recommendation. I think we might have been booked in the same cabin coming up on Sunday but i managed to switch it to one on the next deck below thankfully. 

I bought them, based on Jim's recommendation earlier this year. They do work well to dampen noise, including snoring. However, for me, they are very uncomfortable. I am a side-sleeper, so I only wear one at a time (the other ear being buried in a pillow). When I almost inevitibly wake up during the night, I have to switch ears and sides. If Hubby isn't snoring too badly, I don't bother with them, and just play my sleep stories or soundscapes  on the phone. If he is, then the Bose buds come out. 

This is not to discourage you, just to make you aware of another experience. They do come with three sizes of silicone for the part that goes into your ear. Even the smallest is too large for me. Other folks find them to be comfortable. Hopefully, you will, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL -- I should proof read a bit better.   Honestly I didn't have Rats either.   I also realized I identified the Captain Incorrectly.    I think it is Caption Theo but have to verify.   I have to dig deep on the TV to see for sure.

I tried digging deep on the TV on the Summit in the fall and couldn't find anything.  So if you find it, let us know where.  Why they can't just publish it like they used to is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Finally found out the passenger count.   We set sail with 1,660 guests.   Lots of Blue Chip Free and Looks like a Travel Agent FAM group.   Saw them in a conference room presentation.

Solstice has 1,425 Cabin so at Double Occupancy of all room 2,850 and Maximum capacity of 3,800

At double occupancy we are at  58% capacity.    I was told the  last cruise they only had 950 passengers and a staff of 1,000.

The ship really feels empty and most bars even Martini Bar are often empty. 

Are you able to find out what the anticipated guest number will be for next week? Just curious 🙂

I like the thought of being able to amble up to the Martini bar and easily get a spot! 

27 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I bought them, based on Jim's recommendation earlier this year. They do work well to dampen noise, including snoring. However, for me, they are very uncomfortable. I am a side-sleeper, so I only wear one at a time (the other ear being buried in a pillow). When I almost inevitibly wake up during the night, I have to switch ears and sides. If Hubby isn't snoring too badly, I don't bother with them, and just play my sleep stories or soundscapes  on the phone. If he is, then the Bose buds come out. 

This is not to discourage you, just to make you aware of another experience. They do come with three sizes of silicone for the part that goes into your ear. Even the smallest is too large for me. Other folks find them to be comfortable. Hopefully, you will, too. 

@MamaFejThanks for that info - I actually had the previous version of the  sleep buds and was fine with those ones comfort wise (until they stopped working). I have a white noise machine that we always use but hubby snores at times which makes the sleep buds a necessity. 

Edited by janbear
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, janbear said:

I like the thought of being able to amble up to the Martini bar and easily get a spot! 

When we had a low occupancy on Silhouette last year it felt like they also had reduced staff and open venues so the service levels were not great despite fewer passengers, hopefully that is no longer the case.

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really warm this morning and the Baja peninsula is off port. 

DCE0A6A8-A3EF-4713-944A-1D636A8004C8.thumb.jpeg.04539e0796ba09e4cc595c3a1f8620f9.jpeg

Hi Jim from over here in the Arabian Sea heading from Oman to the Seychelles on the NCL Jade! Just thought I’d say hi and wish you two smooth sailing and fun times on your Mexican Riviera cruise! 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I tried digging deep on the TV on the Summit in the fall and couldn't find anything.  So if you find it, let us know where.  Why they can't just publish it like they used to is beyond me.

If you go to Ship Information keep going down past restaurants, bars, spa, etc to the end you find the Officers pictures and short bio.  You have to really dig as it is buried.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ugh...  I've been sitting in the dark sipping coffee and messaging on CC.  

I have to say some of my text can even be funnier when voice recognition or auto correct puts in some pretty funny words. 

See this is why I don't do voice recognition lol

It never gets my accent, originally a London accent. But had to pronounce letters when moved to Canada so it's kinda all over the place. I've often been mistaken for Australian as it's somewhere between English and Canadian with some Scot thrown in. So yeah my Google home sometimes understands, sometimes not 

🤷‍♀️

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Our chips were freshly cooked and still warm and crunchy.   I ended up eating half of Iain's that he wasn't going to eat.   

Did you like the Crab Cakes?    Was just what I was in the mood for  

From Memory they have the Chicken Giros tomorrow -   not to be missed.   One of our favorites.

We also often have the Cobb Salad but ask them to drop the Pork Belly and Substitute crispy Bacon (which is what is on the MDR menu).   We also ask them to add Blue cheese.

Crab Cake was good. They forgot to add the Remoulade sauce but once it was added, even better.  We skipped Luminae for lunch today and went to the Oceanview. What a cattle call. People seem to forget their manners. Tonight we have decided to dine ashore. 

1 hour ago, janbear said:

Are you able to find out what the anticipated guest number will be for next week? Just curious 🙂

Even with our lower capacity, the martini bar has been packed both early evenings. Not just the bar but also the surrounding seating. It does clear out at around 6:00 or a little after but if you want a seat before then it’s best to get there early. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I think that is now 'Le Petit Chef' at Silk Harvest though?

I'd love it to be otherwise, but I think Silk Harvest is gone in all but name sadly.

Yes it was Le Petit Chef last time we were on. I was never a fan of Silk Harvest. I did love Qsine and sorry to see that is now used for the animated cook.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was actually thinking of booking Silk Harvest but if it's Petite Chief will give it a pass.  Not a big fan.   It was fun once or twice but would much prefer Murano or Tuscan

We passed on Silk Harvest as LPC does not interest us. We dined at Tuscan last night and everything was very good including the service. 

50 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

See this is why I don't do voice recognition lol

It never gets my accent, originally a London accent. But had to pronounce letters when moved to Canada so it's kinda all over the place. I've often been mistaken for Australian as it's somewhere between English and Canadian with some Scot thrown in. So yeah my Google home sometimes understands, sometimes not 

🤷‍♀️

Brought this to mind. Iain might appreciate it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scots+in+a+lift&oq=scots+in+a+&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i60j69i57j0i512j0i22i30l6.7440j1j4&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:fd85cea7,vid:NMS2VnDveP8 

I'm a Scot and have lived in NZ and Oz for over 20 years. Also grew up in Hong Kong. I often get asked if I'm Canadian or Irish!

Finally found out the passenger count.   We set sail with 1,660 guests.   Lots of Blue Chip Free and Looks like a Travel Agent FAM group.   Saw them in a conference room presentation.

Solstice has 1,425 Cabin so at Double Occupancy of all room 2,850 and Maximum capacity of 3,800

At double occupancy we are at  58% capacity.    I was told the  last cruise they only had 950 passengers and a staff of 1,000.

The ship really feels empty and most bars even Martini Bar are often empty. 

We will be enjoying the next sailing.  Is there any chance you can get the expected passenger count for that cruise?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by nslatin

16 minutes ago, Redking said:

Brought this to mind. Iain might appreciate it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scots+in+a+lift&oq=scots+in+a+&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i60j69i57j0i512j0i22i30l6.7440j1j4&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:fd85cea7,vid:NMS2VnDveP8 

I'm a Scot and have lived in NZ and Oz for over 20 years. Also grew up in Hong Kong. I often get asked if I'm Canadian or Irish!

I love that video, so good.

Ha maybe people just can't get accents my husband once asked me where in England someone was from (they were Scottish). I had to tell him NEVER say that, just ask where someone was from if not sure. I'm more surprised my husband didn't figure that they were Scottish because they had a Glaswegian accent and I know he knows that because my uncle has that accent and I literally have to translate what's being said for my husband 🤣

• Haha 2

Supposedly you aren't suppose to be able to pull off your OBC.   I was told that if you don't gamble at least 80% of what you move to the Slot Machine or Ticket you get locked out of taking out more for 24-48 hours. 

Once you have the slot ticket you can just go to the Cashier and Cash Out.   

I've put about 60-80 at a time on slots when I can pull off the card, and 50-100 at a time when I have to go to cashier for the tickets.  I rarely go down below 20% and sometimes will play for 5 minutes.  I've rarely gone down anywhere near 80%, and I've never been locked out - I go back sometimes 2-3 times a day.

On the Silhouette recently people told me different things about how you can't do this.  Someone said you have to gamble 20%, etc, etc.  The only thing I've ever seen a a daily limit of 500.00, although that might have been on Princess.

• Like 1