The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 9th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning all. Today is clean up the kitchen day, very needed after my baking spree! Tomorrow will be clean the rest of the house. Every time I clean, I rejoice that we never moved out of our first house. Just shy of 1000 sq ft it doesn’t take long to clean. While it felt crowded when our girls were growing up it is more than enough now. 

We had the young neighbours from across the street in for tea and cookies yesterday. Was reminded why we have kids young. Sweet children, well behaved but very energetic. 6, 4 and 1. And my house certainly isn’t childproof anymore, hasn’t been for a long time since my grands are 18, 19, 21 and 22! We had a nice time but much prefer to entertain them outside when the weather is nice. 

prayers for those needing them, celebratory drink later! Soccer in the house again shortly. Croatia vs Brazil. If Croatia doesn’t go thru will have to switch allegiance again!

• Like 23

Happy Friday!!    I visited DB yesterday and he was finally sitting up in a wheelchair rather laying in bed.  That is progress.  We had a good conversation about many things.   Then his OT lady came in and wrote 11:45 on his white board.  That was 45 minutes away so I left so he could rest and be all ready for OT.  PT was on the board for 2:45.   I hope this can continue. 

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports!     My Christmas cards were mailed out on Tuesday.  My post office was out of Christmas stamps but they had pretty spring flowers in snow so they worked.  Some people must be writing Christmas cards still.   Lost was found here two days ago.  For our long cruise there are more Gala and a "Formal" night per month.   I pulled out some NYE clothes I haven't worn in years, tried them on and got them ready to pack for luggage pickup.    I found the jacket that went with the skirt but I couldn't find the skirt when I did a final check for the bag.   I closed it anyway.  Yesterday when I went to pull a can of hairspray out of my second suitcase I dug under that and there was my skirt!  Yay!  Genocide used to just be practiced in Africa and parts of Asia but sadly we are seeing the mass murder and execution in Ukraine as Russia rains its' terror on those people.  Germany is trying to define Russia's actions as genocide so that war trials can be prosecuted.   Sadly hate and religious intolerance is hard to prevent. 

Prayers for all on our care list.   @USN59-79 I hope that your trip to the orthopedist allows you to have a boot and use crutches.  I broke mine about 10 years ago when a full load of mulch in my wheelbarrow flipped and I didn't let go.   My whole spring was ruined.   I was walking minus crutches in 3 weeks.   I hope you heal quickly.    @summer slopeDixie I am happy to read you still test negative and your DH is feeling better today.     The cocktail is a pass.   The meatball recipes all look wonderful. We are having leftover lasagna that I made for my garden club's potluck last nigh.    Easy peasy.   Today's wine is probably a wee bit sweet for me.  I am looking forward to today's photos from Samoa. 

Have a nice day!!   Chicken  dinner on our balcony on the Old Rotterdam in 2019.  

chicken 22219.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 27

Good morning and thanks to all for the Daily.It has turned more seasonably cold here with bright sunshine.i certainly  support Genocide awareness  and wish it could be prevented.I admire those who send Christmas  cards and celebrate finding lost things.The recipes look lovely and will be just the ticket for dinner tonight. Thanks Debbie  @dfish!

Last night was a long one here but hopefully  Tana has turned the corner. It always takes a few days for  the meds to work. She wanted to try making her way to the kitchen so DD came down to be her PT.I am wobbly with a cane and don't  want to cause another problem.I have to say it is hard to let go of my usual roles!

Wishing you all a great day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning! Got up early to take antibiotics then went back to bed as they need to be taken two hours prior to other meds. First time ever I’m not doing Christmas cards. Majority that used to send us cards have stopped and only received a handful last year. Have no relatives left and our children said no. Grandchildren will get one.

Lot of coughing going on as my lungs are loosening up but I’m doing better. Have another 24 hours of quarantine so not much on the agenda today.

So I will surf the CC boards, read and find some You Tube cruising blogs to watch. Yesterday we watched White Christmas and Christmas Vacation for the umpteenth time!

Have a great day thanks for the postings and keep the holiday season calm and joyful.

Bruce

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from snowy SE Wisconsin.  Forecast says 1-4 inches of wet, heavy snow🙄  prayers for all who need them, and "yay" for the rest!  We're going to have 2 grands here this weekend, so we made some cutout cookies for them to decorate.  I have some egg nog, so might have to try the drink!  Have a great weekend!

• Like 18

Good morning all. Thanks Rich and everyone who contributes. Today my luggage starts its journey, but I still have one week to go. So excited. My youngest came over and got the cameras set up for when I'm gone and did a few other chores in preparation. It is nice to know that both of my sons will be checking on the house while I am gone. Prayers for all.

• Like 22

Good morning from another grey and foggy but not windy day in central Texas.  Except for the dampness, it is not uncomfortable outside.  This morning was another one for errands.  The first was to fill the gas cans so we could put gas in the golf cart.  That is when I discovered one of the cans had a leak near the top.  Once I got the gas cans home, I headed into town to pick up some things at the store before it got crowded.  Naturally, the stores were out of the main thing I wanted.

Today, I will become a messy baker again.  I need to make more gingerbread cookies since I took more than half of the first ones to the rehab center as a thank you to all the nursing staff, therapy staff and others who come in contact with the patients.  We have enough cookies for the two of us, but not enough to send the DDs and give to some neighbors.  While the cookie dough is chilling in the refrigerator, I'll make the Christmas candy.

For once, I'm in sync with one of the days.  I dropped the Christmas cards in the box at the post office. We try to return lost items to the owner, and I wish I could find the two earrings I lost, and naturally it was one each from two pair.  Genocide needs to be prevented, and Ukraine is a good example why.

I like the Gautier quote.

We'll pass on the meal.  Since the kitchen will be covered in flour again, I think we will have pizza tonight.  The more mess the merrier!  We'll also pass on the drink and wine.

We have not been to Apia, Samoa, but hope to get there some day.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, stress can lead to weight gain or loss, and it has helped me lose some much needed to lose pounds the last few months.  Now, I just have to keep them off, and maybe lose a few more.  

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope you have a great time tonight.  Safe travels tomorrow.

@superoma  Eva, we'll be rooting for Croatia today, too.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry Tana had a rough night, but I'm also hoping Tana has turned the corner, and wanting to go into breakfast is a good sign.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm glad you are doing better and that the medicines are working.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, love the picture of Queen Ashlee in all her glory.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I only send 1 or 2 Christmas cards any more. I hope people find things they've lost. Genocide prevention is important. Not sure about the quote. The meal sounds good. Yes to the drink and pass on the wine. I like Roy's meal too.

I haven't been to Apia, Samoa.

The sun is out! It hasn't been seen in days, as it's been cloudy and rainy. And more rain this weekend. BFF and I will go out to a new Indian restaurant near my house, that's been getting rave reviews, for an early dinner.

@kazu Great memes today.

@kochleffel Good luck with the Hanukkah dinner and concert.

@summer slope Sorry to hear DH tested positive; I'm pleased to hear he's starting to feel better. I hope you remain negative.

@ger_77 LOL on having to mis-label the butter tart slice!

@Seasick Sailor I hope the AC issue is nothing much. 

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana to improve and for your mobility.

@aliaschief I hope the antibiotics do their thing and your coughing decreases.

@Quartzsite Cruiser So sorry to hear of the death of another neighbor. The gingerbread cookies sound good and I'm impressed you make candy. 

@HAL Sailer Prayers for DSIL today.

@USN59-79 Good thing you got your ankle checked out! Good luck with the Ortho appointment today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and well everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning... sort of late. I was up early with the dogs (and it was cold!!!) but had an early morning appointment to to the dealership to pay off my car.... way ahead of schedule....!!!. Back now and the car is telling me I have a low tire. Will head out to have the tires checked shortly when I go to the shelter. Gauge could not have obliged me by coming on when I was at the dealership..... that would have been too easy.

Not much else.... that 28 day Alaska in 2024 is very interesting.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 21

19 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

.....that 28 day Alaska in 2024 is very interesting.

Yes...it is....!!!

And...unless things change....Seattle is our favorite U.S. departure port...:)

Edited by Rowsby
  • Like 9

24 minutes ago, superoma said:

Well Croatia lives to play another game! What a great game fir Croatia 

@superomaGreat game from Croatia .......what fine character from that team to win after the set back !  We were hoping for this also .

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Chateau Gaudrelle 2018 Clos le Vigneau (Vouvray)

One reviewer describes this Vouvray as “a whisker from dry”. I would love a taste, and if it is truly off dry, I would probably love it. All released vintages share the same excellent ratings. A bit elusive, but I did find a couple online distributors with prices starting at $23.49.

Winemaker Notes

Off dry in style with honey, earth and apricot notes. Crisp and medium bodied. Wines from the town of Vouvray have been known to age well for 40 years.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast

Produced by Alexandre Monmousseau, scion of a distinguished local family, this wine is ripe, full-bodied and splendidly rich. Just getting ready to drink, the wine is generous and full of dried apple and peach flavors. Good now, it will age well, certainly until 2025. Kysela Père et Fils.

This wine probably is in your wheelhouse @cat shepard.   "Off dry" is the universal descriptor for Vouvray.  I, personally, prefer Vouvray Sec, which means the wine has been fermented to complete dryness--no detectable residual sugar.

I just realized that while I prefer Vouvray Sec, I really do not care for Dry Rieslings at all.  Riesling wines need some residual sugar--and, in fact, a lot of residual sugar also works.  😁

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Très bien.

I  am a bit envious of the @ottahand7s lifestyle.

My DF is usually my "mule" to haul all our wine on the ship.  We usually bring a bottle a day.  A little different on our upcoming cruise but I will try to fit 10 in my roll aboard.  Many is this group appreciate a good glass or bottle of wine.  Cheers!   Nancy 

• Like 11

I no longer send Christmas cards but I want to wish all of the regular Daily posters a Happy Holidays!  

A special shout out to @cat shepard and her fantastic “wine of the day” posts.

CCC60B20-DD57-4673-AD41-239FD6321706.thumb.jpeg.8f7fb050ce0dd2fba4fda8b4456b10c4.jpeg

6FBFB0CF-75A8-472D-A8CD-B779E47F0FF8.thumb.jpeg.0a68bbf5dd4215346e5e929f031bbdae.jpeg

Taken at Graycliff Hotel in Nassau.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Dailyites!  I caught up with all the reading.  Went in for my oncologist appt today. While we were about to leave the car, and go in, DH got a text from the same doc, that if he wanted to, he could change his appointment from February. to 1:30 today....it was 9:30 in the morning, he called the office, and they got him in after me.

Besides my blood sugar sky rocketing, i'm low on oxygen, couldnt get a read on me at all...this congestion has to go!  Of course that's not her thing, and I am still waiting to hear if my request to change docs has been approved.  I cant even schedule an appointment unless it's approved.

My In laws appear to be falling apart...Mom broke her arm in the fall earlier this week.  Her son Clay (DH's step brother) took her to the doctor yesterday, got home, walked his dog, and fell, breaking his femur, he is currently in surgery.  I'm scared to let DH out of the house right now.  We are waiting for a call from my sister in law.  Please keep this family in your prayers.  Clay has fallen and broken his shoulder, his arm and his leg while walking this labradoodle.  Not much doodle, and doesn't even sound lilke a happy lab.

Well off to research diabetes diet again. and to try to actually stick with it!

friday-funny-shark-cartoon-dont-eat-the-buns-700x500.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4