The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 10th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

This is just a quick Good Morning from Miami before I pack away my IPad.

it is a beautiful sunny day here. Great day for a sail-away.

We are all packed up. Had a nice breakfast in the lounge and all ready to go.  We have an 11 am check in time at the port.

We are so looking forward to this cruise to get some time to rest and get away from the stress we have been experiencing in the last few months.  

Prayers for all on the cares list.  I am so sorry to see it growing.  

Cheers to all those who are celebrating and cruising.  

We are stopping in Cozumel in a few days on the first segment of this cruise.  

We are on the Insignia.  This is the ship that Oceania uses for their World Cruise, which will begin when we disembark on Dec. 28.  I am hoping that the internet is decent.  if so, I will post pictures along the way.  I’ll do my best.  

I hope everyone has a great Saturday wonderful weekend.

God Bless,

Terri

Wishing you a wonderful cruise Terri.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221210_160136.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Managed to post our Christmas cards (and the box of gifts that I should have taken to AZ when visiting at Thanksgiving...) yesterday, finished wrapping presents and today will pack for our 8 day Hawaii visit with DD and family.   It is so nice to read about Dailyites back on ships, posting and loving the life on board!  

Prayers for our Care List and love to my brother-in-law, especially today, the 3 year anniversary of my dear sister's passing.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Some fun cruise facts I just posted on sailaway.

NS has 2,494 passengers for todays departure. Last week 1,900 passengers.

There were 452 b2b passengers or 25% of ship.

RNB gained 9.44 lbs last week on NS. I got on baggage scale next to elevator and it read, “Excess Baggage”.

Received email today titled, “How to lose a big belly”, answer Stop Cruising.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Cold in the mornings, but we will get reasonably better temps the next few days before winter makes a return. The Chihuahua is getting much better about his early morning walks. He seems to have figured out that if he does his business, I will put him back in the warm house and walk the Shih Tzu (he loves cold weather) further. The double walks are good for me.

Yesterday turned into a frenzy of baking day. The Christmas party for the shelter was last night and they suddenly did some calculations and found they were going to be very short on desserts (and I took all those cookies to the shelter last week). I managed to turn out 3 batches of cookies and 2 Bourbon Pound cakes in the course of the afternoon. They were well received and my kitchen is a disaster. I went to the party to deliver my goods and stayed a short time. I think the staff has a much better time when the BOD members are not there. Actually, I enjoyed the baking.... something I do not do for myself.

I think the meal of day sounds wonderful as our temperatures drop and snow is predicted. Would love to be the way to Mexico. I so envy those of you on ships, especially over the Holidays. Maybe next year for me.

Susan

Susan

• Like 18

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Happy Birthday to @Cruising-along's DH Henry!

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

@Cruising-along.

Happy birthday to your husband Henry.

76CD6CA2-D30F-404E-AC90-45961FE1F856.jpeg.804952145e44e55013c61f6aa17aa71e.jpeg

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Birthday Henry

5 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Happy Birthday to @Cruising-along's DH Henry.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

@Cruising-alonga very happy birthday to Henry

6D97A9AA-43A3-437F-B003-CF30DD48B720.jpeg.50bf5f58a57593085c8d1699f6e9e5da.jpeg

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Happy Birthday Henry!

image.png.3af3a3b58b4c3c59bb3cd7cf7227e1fb.png

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@Crusing-along (where are the blue bubbles?)

Happy Birthday  to Henry. I hope you have started  to  feel better .

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Happy Birthday Henry! @Cruising-along, Carolyn, hope you are well enough to enjoy the day with him. 

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@Cruising-alonga very Happy Birthday to your DH with many returns of the day!

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Henry Happy Birthday to you.   

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

First of all, Happy Birthday to @Cruising-along's DH, Henry!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.2f19134444fee1da5f58fc0693e54275.jpg

Here's hoping Carolyn is well enough for a celebration today.

Thank you so much everyone!  I have passed along all the greetings and DH says Thank You.

We won't be doing any celebrating -- yet. I'll urge him to pick up a piece of cake at the bakery, he deserves that.  He's been an angel taking care of me through this horrible flu.  I mentioned before that we planned a surprise birthday party for TODAY.  We're even flying DH's sister here from Savannah.  She has never been very far west at all.  Anyway, the family has rearranged her flights and now we'll have the party on January 7 when I'm more up to it.  He now knows there will be a party, but not that his sister is coming.  It is his 75th after all.  

I turned the corner 2 days ago, so finally after 9 days, when my fever finally went down to normal.  Now it's just a matter of getting my appetite back (last night I ate a whole salad, the most I've eaten all through this) and getting over this fatigue.  I know I haven't been this sick since the early '70's when DH and I both had the Hong Kong flu.  And I was 50 years younger.

Again, thank you all for the birthday wishes for DH and better health wishes for me.  All very much appreciated!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily report and everyone's contributions.

Today's big plan is to sit back and enjoy the Army Navy game.  My late mothers late best friend was a senior Irish lady.  For some reason the only sport or game she ever watched was this game and loved it.  I started watching years ago so we could have a big conservation about it.  She had all the gear to boot.  So Marion, you are here in spirit, and yes Go Navy

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

The Dewey Decimal system was useful back in the day, at the library. I'll salute animal rights, and like a good lager. Lovely quote. I like the meal and wine. Pass on the drink. I think I'll have maultaschen (German ravioli of sorts) for dinner, as it's been in the freezer too long.

I haven't been to Cozumel.

It's cloudy today, and mid-40's. Tidying of the house continues. Also I need to see if I have anything I need to save on an old PC, before I wipe the hard drive prior to donating it. Yesterday at our late lunch, BFF brought up going to Germany in the spring to settle some estate stuff and adding on a Mediterranean cruise to replace the one cancelled in 2020. So some research to do.

@Cruising-along Happy Birthday to your DH Henry! Good to hear that you're feeling better today.

@summer slope I hope DH is starting to feel better and that you remain negative.

@rafinmd Thank you for our lists today.

@kazu Enjoy your lunch with BFF and then the girls holiday get-together. I hope the storm won't affect your travel plans.

@StLouisCruisers You are in good company. Sorry to hear of all the issues communicating with your travel data site and Shutterfly.

@RedneckBob We'll be looking for you at sail-away today.

@Seasick Sailor Safe travels. And early Bon Vogage!

@Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage!

@aliaschief Good to hear you are out of quarantine. Take it easy.

@SusieKIslandGirl Nice to hear from you. Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

@HAL Sailer Continued prayers for DSIL. I hope she can regain some of her strength.

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!

@1ANGELCAT I hope Tux and TT are there for good!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the glimpse of the island.

@Overhead Fred Nice photos.

@Norseh2o Hugs on this sad anniversary of your sister's passing.

@durangoscots Good job on all that baking!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, all!  This has been a busy morning for the Daily, already on page 3.  Happy birthday to Carolyn's DH, and I'm happy you are feeling a bit better.  But still take it easy as you recover.  I think we all have reduced immunities to the ailments going around,  after we sheltered ourselves for a few years.  The children, especially, seem to be catching all the bugs!  Glad to hear that other Dailyites are improving,  too.  

Yesterday was a good day.  We had a final payment coming up and wanted to use the FCC from our "Covid cruise" toward it, so our PCC managed to get it expedited  (about 11 weeks since the cruise...) and then we only had to pay the remaining amount.   We have a very helpful PCC (new to us).  When I emailed her that we had approved all the accounting and were ready to give her a credit card number, we got a phone call within 5 minutes!

And we have appointments on Tuesday for our latest boosters, which will give us a couple of weeks before we travel down to San Diego to catch the Koningsdam, hopefully well protected.  The next thing will be haircuts and we are ready to go!

We had a huge windstorm last night, we could hear branches hitting the house and there were bits littering the deck and courtyard this morning.  Mother Nature doing some tree pruning.  But the hummingbird feeders stayed intact, so all is good!  Maybe just a final leaf raking to come.  

• Like 22

14 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

The Dewey Decimal system was useful back in the day, at the library. I'll salute animal rights, and like a good lager. Lovely quote. I like the meal and wine. Pass on the drink. I think I'll have maultaschen (German ravioli of sorts) for dinner, as it's been in the freezer too long.

It's cloudy today, and mid-40's. Tidying of the house continues. Also I need to see if I have anything I need to save on an old PC, before I wipe the hard drive prior to donating it. Yesterday at our late lunch, BFF brought up going to Germany in the spring to settle some estate stuff and adding on a Mediterranean cruise to replace the one cancelled in 2020. So some research to do.

@Cruising-along Happy Birthday to your DH Henry! Good to hear that you're feeling better today.

@summer slope I hope DH is starting to feel better and that you remain negative.

@kazu Enjoy your lunch with BFF and then the girls holiday get-together. I hope the storm won't affect your travel plans.

@StLouisCruisers You are in good company. Sorry to hear of all the issues communicating with your travel data site and Shutterfly.

@HAL Sailer Continued prayers for DSIL. I hope she can regain some of her strength.

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!

Stay safe everyone.

Thanks Jazzy ,

Remember it is red around the collar not ring around the collar 😀

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Managed to post our Christmas cards (and the box of gifts that I should have taken to AZ when visiting at Thanksgiving...) yesterday, finished wrapping presents and today will pack for our 8 day Hawaii visit with DD and family.   It is so nice to read about Dailyites back on ships, posting and loving the life on board!  

Prayers for our Care List and love to my brother-in-law, especially today, the 3 year anniversary of my dear sister's passing.

Best wishes for your 8 day Hawaii visit with your DD and friends.

Condolences for you and your BIL on your dear sisters 3rd memory.

Graham.

• Like 10

We have been to Cozumel twice on BHB's. The first time was on the Nuiew Amsterdam in 2018. We took a HAL tour to Tulum and a beach and a buffet.

The second visit was on the Veendam in January of 2020 (just before Covid). We toured San Gervaiso Mayan ruins on that visit.

We were scheduled to visit Half Moon Cay, but Cozumel got substituted because of weather. For some reason, I cannot locate any pictures of either of those visits. I did do a review of the 2020 cruise, but without pictures.

My DB and DSIL were able to join us for that cruise on the Veendam. He was often mistaken for Santa Claus when people saw him.

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.f03b8efa04ef19375cadf552c10e69bc.JPG

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 19
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the info, and the nice people that contribute here.  It's a dreary 38F  degree day here.  We're going to our community parade and tree lighting soon with the youngest grands, and hopefully cookies tomorrow.  We've been to Cozumel many times for land trips, and stopped there in February this year on our Rotterdam cruise.  We walked around the town area...it seemed different.  I'm sure Covid had something to do with that.  Prayers for all that need them, and a shout out to everyone else.  Bon Voyage to everyone getting on a ship soon! 

• Like 16

@Quartzsite Cruiser lenda, I made your recipe this afternoon. Very good, thank you for sharing. And I learned something about chocolate and evaporated milk! Turns into fudge! To my other Canadians on the daily, the 300 gram packages of semi sweet chips are 10 ounces so you will need part of a fourth bag. I weighed to be sure. And no chance of an oven fire since no baking involved lol

another soccer day here. Quite the game this morning with Morocco beating Portugal and the France England game has gotten really interesting in the last 10 minutes!

Edited by superoma
Addition
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@GTVCRUISER Bon Voyage!

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you so much Vanessa!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all!  This has been a busy morning for the Daily, already on page 3.  Happy birthday to Carolyn's DH, and I'm happy you are feeling a bit better.  But still take it easy as you recover.  I think we all have reduced immunities to the ailments going around,  after we sheltered ourselves for a few years.  The children, especially, seem to be catching all the bugs!  Glad to hear that other Dailyites are improving,  too.  

I think you're on to something there Ann.  At best my immunity is low, but now...thank you so much.

• Like 11

Just got home about 10am.

San Pedro embarkation and disembarkation was very smooth. Discovery Princess is a beautiful ship. I just had to get used to that sometimes you can’t get there from here (from the aft, decks 5 and 6 (MDRs) don’t go through, you need to go to at least deck 7 and maybe circle back). We had  premium balcony cabin (sofa and larger balcony). We were on Deck 9 (Dolphin) and it was covered a bit. The balconies below us had no cover, and ones above were fully covered. 

The Medallion worked pretty well.  We ordered drinks, food, towels for the cabin, and had our room service tray picked up. It’s cool that you can find your shipmates, look up your account, have your door unlocked, etc.  

Dinner reservations for MDRs and specialty restaurants were made with no problem, we got the days/times we wanted. Service was a bit slow but hey, I’m on vacation. We ate in the buffet some breakfasts and lunches. Service was great and as were the selections. Love the (several) omelette stations.  

The entertainment very good. Lots of activities. Music was all over the ship all the time. Night entertainment (singer/dancer production shows) were very good. Several comedians but I didn’t  attend. 

We did a private excursion in PV, and went to Pancho’s Restaurant in Mazatlan. DD just went shopping in Cabo San Lucas.
All in all DD and I had a nice cruise. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This morning we have a friend taking us to the airport for our flight to FLL. We are excited to get the party started! 

Bon Voyage - hope your flight is safe and smooth!

37824651-A0AD-40D4-95CA-8C311DAF789B.jpeg.6efac4901632fd7e8871f9ca6e79f806.jpeg

8 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

My DH was just now able to have a very brief phone call with his sister, my DSIL. She came through the procedure but is very, very weakened.

So glad to hear that your DSIL had a successful procedure.  Sorry to hear that her condition is so weak and I know this will be an even harder fight for her 😔 winging more prayers her way 🙏🏻 

7 hours ago, GTVCRUISER said:

My ship just came in , cruising on the Koningsdam today 🙂 

ship3.JPG

51F53024-625D-48BB-B400-1E922E9C5D67.jpeg.1832f4d8ea73335d329b9c789dd1aafb.jpeg

6 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

This is just a quick Good Morning from Miami before I pack away my IPad.

it is a beautiful sunny day here. Great day for a sail-away.

We are all packed up. Had a nice breakfast in the lounge and all ready to go.  We have an 11 am check in time at the port.

YAY 🙂. Bon Voyage 😄 

425AC8F1-2A3E-4444-8E1F-7CED3D496731.jpeg.b3e9b64d88da748169569efc8eea999e.jpeg

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, I hope the coming winter storm does not affect your travel plans.  Have you considered going even earlier than planned?

Thanks.  I did look at going earlier but now the prices are astronomical and it’s not worth it - especially when the storm could hit in 48 hours - there are just too many unknowns.  If I could do it affordably and with some certainty, I would, believe me.  I did it for our Sail a Way Gang cruise when it turned out a freak storm was coming. It was predictable.  This is not. 😔 

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I turned the corner 2 days ago, so finally after 9 days, when my fever finally went down to normal.  Now it's just a matter of getting my appetite back (last night I ate a whole salad, the most I've eaten all through this) and getting over this fatigue.

Yay 🙂. This is good news, indeed.  I hope you can continue to improve and recover fully and get over your fatigue quickly 🙏🏻 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dailyites! I have read today's entries but have lots of missed days to catch up on. Wishing you all who are on or getting ready to be on a BHB Bon Voyage.

I received a notification that @Rowsby had made a comment and was embarrassed to see that I hadn't checked in for a number of days with an update. I think both DH and I are turning the corner. Although we both had a couple of tough days earlier in the week, I don't think my situation was anywhere near as serious as DH, but it certainly laid me out. The meds seem to be doing what they are supposed to and I feel a definite improvement. DH's color is much better. Both of us only cough occasionally. The Kleenex doesn't seem to run out so fast. However, our energy levels are, ahem, lacking -- although improving. And we feel as though it takes each of us three attempts to perform the most simple task. Ugh.

On to the more positive: the semi-catered dinner for David's 80th was wonderful. An extensive charcuterie tray (tonight will be Day 3, and we will have the last tomorrow) with an amazing selection of color, taste, texture of cheeses, cured meats & pickles started us off. The mains were generous and ever so tasty crab cakes with asparagus, rice and a tossed salad (next time we will split one and save the other for the following night). The desserts waited until last night. But OMG! they were amazing! Usually, I am not a big dessert person (give me a cheese tray) but the 3-layer carrot cake and the flourless German chocolate cake were absolute show-stoppers. At the risk of losing my Dailyite status, we confess that the wine was put aside until we have completed our antibiotic treatments!! Almost sacrilege. But we are truly committed to overcoming whatever this 'thing' is. The wine will be our prize, haha!

Consequently, the turkey in the freezer shall wait for a time after the Holidays to be roasted, as we are ordering in our Xmas feast from this chef/caterer. That will certainly lighten our load.

So all you you, planning for trips and/or visitors over the holidays, baking things that I have never ever baked, decorating your homes, giving time to your communities -- you are all such good people. I know the gods are smiling on you, one and all.

BTW, I had read some of @RedneckBob RNB's comments about his time on the Nieuw Statendam. I had looked forward to meeting him during our adventure and it will just have to wait for another sailing. However, he sure makes me laugh. Hard. And that is such a tonic right now.

On a more serious note, this 'adventure' has us questioning whether we should reconsider our Buenos Aires to FLL escapade in 2024. If a short medevac from the Caribbean has had such effects on us, what if something happened in SA? The distance, the language & cultural issues could loom large indeed. And there is that pesky detail that we are not getting any younger.

However, I do want to stress that the care we received on the Nieuw Statendam was absolutely top notch. The professionals are compassionate but extremely knowledgeable. The scope of equipment and facilities in the Medical Unit are really something. All the same, if possible, I hope not to revisit that area in the near future, thank you.

I am starting to deal with the insurance paperwork. Not surprisingly, the only documentation I need is in HAL's hands. Yesterday, I spent 90 minutes on hold attempting to connect with Guest Relations without success. I did send an email and received an autoreply. Sigh.

Thank you all for such lovely notes of support and caring. David and I look forward to returning to 'normal' soon. And I hope to be more fun, and way less whingey. Cheers,

-Cat (& David too!!)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

38 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites! I have read today's entries but have lots of missed days to catch up on. Wishing you all who are on or getting ready to be on a BHB Bon Voyage.

I received a notification that @Rowsby had made a comment and was embarrassed to see that I hadn't checked in for a number of days with an update. I think both DH and I are turning the corner.

I am so happy and relieved to hear you have turned the corner and grateful for your update.  May you both continue to improve.

Although we both had a couple of tough days earlier in the week, I don't think my situation was anywhere near as serious as DH, but it certainly laid me out. The meds seem to be doing what they are supposed to and I feel a definite improvement. DH's color is much better. Both of us only cough occasionally. The Kleenex doesn't seem to run out so fast. However, our energy levels are, ahem, lacking -- although improving. And we feel as though it takes each of us three attempts to perform the most simple task. Ugh.

I am sorry to say that fatigue is common with this.  My sister had it (and yes she was vaccinated and boosted) back in March and she was exhausted for 2 weeks.  I hope that is not the case for you 🙏🏻 

On to the more positive: the semi-catered dinner for David's 80th was wonderful. An extensive charcuterie tray (tonight will be Day 3, and we will have the last tomorrow) with an amazing selection of color, taste, texture of cheeses, cured meats & pickles started us off. The mains were generous and ever so tasty crab cakes with asparagus, rice and a tossed salad (next time we will split one and save the other for the following night). The desserts waited until last night. But OMG! they were amazing! Usually, I am not a big dessert person (give me a cheese tray) but the 3-layer carrot cake and the flourless German chocolate cake were absolute show-stoppers. At the risk of losing my Dailyite status, we confess that the wine was put aside until we have completed our antibiotic treatments!! Almost sacrilege. But we are truly committed to overcoming whatever this 'thing' is. The wine will be our prize, haha!

I am so glad to hear of the semi-catered success.  It’s not sacrilege to avoid wine if your meds advise to do so..  You will deserve a good one when you have recovered 🍷 

I am starting to deal with the insurance paperwork. Not surprisingly, the only documentation I need is in HAL's hands. Yesterday, I spent 90 minutes on hold attempting to connect with Guest Relations without success. I did send an email and received an autoreply. Sigh.

Don’t feel badly.  My insurance claim for my visits in Barcelona and on board and wheel chair rentals have been in the ‘queue’ since I submitted my claim.  I had to wait until I got home for decent internet but it’s still coming on to 3 weeks.  We just need to be grateful, I guess that we can swing the costs (or try to) in the meantime.

Thank you all for such lovely notes of support and caring. David and I look forward to returning to 'normal' soon. And I hope to be more fun, and way less whingey.

Speaking as one that had done lots of whining in 2022, believe me, you are not whiney at all.  Please, feel free to post - good or bad.  We are here for you ♥️ 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4