Broken wine bottle

N2DFIRE

7 hours ago, poocher said:

So then I need the legal argument explained.  Isn’t the person stowing wine against policy the negligent party?  Always wanted to go to Law School, was never able to.  

An argument can be made against both the cruise line for mishandling the bag and the owner of the bag for being negligent. 

The responsibility of the items when in cruise lines hands is very much real.

Example: If your car is in a garage for repair and is damaged by a third party or stolen. The owners of the garage are liable as well as the third party, basically because it was in their care at the time. 

A heads up to those that do pack in checked in luggage. You can have legal action taken against you for the negligence that leads to the destruction of others properties. 

But the argument for the cruise lines being responsible for theft or damage while in their care is very much real. (Small potatoes) This is barely about Judge Judy money we are talking about here. Now, the automobile Example I referenced is a "larger" issue. One I have had personal success with. But valid arguments can be made for this as well. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

In addition to poocher’s question, doesn’t the cruise contract limit the cruiseline’s liability for luggage to a specific (and rather low) dollar amount?  Doesn’t the entire travel industry (including the cruiselines) encourage people to purchase insurance to cover their luggage and other losses? Though still inconvenient, insurance should also help defray cleaning and/or replacement costs.  Do those of us that still chose to travel without paying for extra coverage for our luggage deserve to pay a price for that choice if and when something happens?  (We chose travel medical and evacuation coverage and consider ourselves self-insured against other losses.)

I will leave this at my recommendation is always purchase travel insurance. Very few would go through a legal battle over this due to time and money. 

Limit of liability can be argued right out the window. Again, big stuff for small potatoes. I could squeeze the owner of the bag/wine bottle for compensation or completely drown them in time and fees, much easier than the cruise lines. But the argument for them is there. 

Edited by BennyandBo
Typo

15 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

An argument can be made against both the cruise line for mishandling the bag and the owner of the bag for being negligent. 

The responsibility of the items when in cruise lines hands is very much real.

Example: If your car is in a garage for repair and is damaged by a third party or stolen. The owners of the garage are liable as well as the third party, basically because it was in their care at the time. 

A heads up to those that do pack in checked in luggage. You can have legal action taken against you for the negligence that leads to the destruction of others properties. 

But the argument for the cruise lines being responsible for theft or damage while in their care is very much real. (Small potatoes) This is barely about Judge Judy money we are talking about here. Now, the automobile Example I referenced is a "larger" issue. One I have had personal success with. But valid arguments can be made for this as well. 

I agree the person or persons who packed the wine that broke in their suitcase could be sued for damages but how would the victim ever find the owner of that offending suitcase among the thousands of suitcases onboard? I suppose both the victim and the offender, lets call him Jeremiah (because he always had some mighty fine wine 🎶), could be beside each other at Guest Services, one complaining about their soaked clothes and one complaining that the cruise line broke their mighty fine wine. But what are the odds of that happening? I guess the ship's crew could do a search of all the cabins onboard to find Jeremiah's suitcase but I'd love to see the mutiny by all the passengers when the announcement was made to 'cease and desist' unpacking of their suitcases while the search was carried out. 🤯

Also, if the victim ever did find the broken wine bottle, the suitcase it was in, and Jeremiah himself, is there some kind of wine DNA analysis that could determine for sure it was the wine from that broken bottle that soaked the victim's clothes. 🤔

As I said earlier, I'd try to get the cruise line to pay for the cleaning. If not, so be it. I'd pay for the laundering myself. Why waste valuable vacation time trying to play Columbo or Inspector Clouseau? I might rinse some of the wine out of our clothes and make some Sangria if Jeremiah's wine is as good as they say 😉,  but it would be best to just sit back, relax, and open a bottle of some really, really, mighty fine wine! 🍷

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

Crew could discover the source of the problem before bag is delivered to cabin. As well as the subsequent damage bags ready for delivery and notify all parties involved. I believe there is a posting on here about someone overhearing crew on a Disney ship talking to the owner of a bag with broken wine bottles in it. Giving passenger options of reimbursement to other parties for damage belongings or being asked to disembark ship. So once bags are on board but before delivery crew can easily play Columbo. Then notify all parties involved. No "wine DNA" needed. Reasonable proof would come by way of the crew members findings. 

The bottom line is it foolish and not wise to put yourself in a situation to be liable for others property over a wine bottle. I go back to carry it on or do without. 

And on that note I believe the horse has been sufficiently beaten to death. Lol. Have a Happy and safe holiday season one and all!

• Like 1

So I have been thinking about my personal experience that I mentioned earlier.  The 750 ml or 1 l bottle I had purchased spilled into my suitcase and my clothes absorbed it.  The suitcase was not wet, at least from what I remembered.  There was glass (obviously), which I remember shaking out of the bottom of my bag.  So how much wine was in this person's suitcase to leak out and soak the op's 2 suitcases anyway?  And it would be pretty easy to track down the culprit since they would be either sending in a lot of laundry or walking around the ship with a reddish hue on their clothes.

It boggles my mind that this thread could go to five pages about someone who never heard of wine storage bags let alone a plastic bag or box or thought their luggage was transported to their room a la Star Trek.  Makes me wonder what some people do for a living.

• Thanks 1