Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

I think that Deck 8 is not shown on the reservation system, because it will be Walk-In.  ( Or, walk up and see how long the wait is!)

It would also make sense that the dining room on Deck 8 might be the Walk-In level because it looks to be open to a deck area and the Wake View Terrace..  which would make a much more casual experience.

Edited by Wishing on a star

On 1/16/2024 at 4:19 PM, dides said:

Dining has FINALLY opened up on the app for Sun Princess - at least for the first two cruises!

Screenshot_20240116-2105436405.thumb.png.66b693894bc03e7a45706bf51a32d72b.png

- The Catch by Rudi is $39 and a pop-up

- Butchers Block is $49 and a pop-up

- Kai Sushi is $39 - thought this was casual dining but apparently not on Sun!

- Crown Grill is $39

- Sabatini's is $35

- we are in a Suite so odd we get to book the Horizon Dining Room decks. 

There is no Umai Teppanyaki so hope this will be ready for us!

What shows up under Dining Type?

So there is no mention of Reserve or Signature Collection Experience - where no reservations are needed?

5 hours ago, duck65 said:

I believe what level you are eating at is when you want to eat. Went to the app last night to set up are dinner schedule. Level 6 you could not use, level 7 was a set time at 20 minute intravels, level 8 was only two seating times, at 6:15 and 8:30. I would believe level 6 will be anytime dining.

Makes sense to me.

4 minutes ago, dog said:

What shows up under Dining Type?

So there is no mention of Reserve or Signature Collection Experience - where no reservations are needed?

The filter panel below displays:

image.png.925bdfdaee06c6aeea09c3b6b2314cbc.png

There is nothing to indicate we have Signature dining on the new app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kim Viktor said:

Yes that is what I understood too. I could only book deck 6 and deck 7. Deck 6 fixed times at 5 and 7.30. 

Let us know after you experience it. Thanks 

I see in the app under "Dining Preferences", a section labelled "Dining Pace", with the options of Slow, Relaxed, Fast. A further clue maybe.

....though whether that selection translates into directing passengers towards certain levels in the MDR remains to be seen.

Edited by StevenW
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Good to know

I never ventured from the landing page 

Allergens 

Never thought to click on Diet - Seating txt

IMG_5140.thumb.jpeg.f24b617cc8037f7bf4ae7f1336b454a6.jpeg

I have listed all of this info and every time I go back everything has disappeared. Are you having this problem? 

• Like 1

This is an excerpt from a November 2023 Princess Press Release.  "The three dining levels will serve guests multicourse meals from friendly wait staff and each have their own personalities, offer different dining experiences and range in levels of formality, including the Horizons Diner on Deck 8 offering breakfast, lunch and dinner favorites all day long."

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Good to know

Allergens 

Anyone know the most reliable way to inform them of an allergen that is not listed?  Call them, or inform wait staff on the first night.  On Celebrity, they knew at specialty restaurants once we informed wait staff on first night.

Thanks for this hint.  Just updated my preferences. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Anyone know the most reliable way to inform them of an allergen that is not listed?  Call them, or inform wait staff on the first night.  On Celebrity, they knew at specialty restaurants once we informed wait staff on first night.

Thanks for this hint.  Just updated my preferences. 

I’ve attached the email address for you. Send an email with your name, booking number, ship name, sail dates and your allergy information. I also call and make sure that they note it on my booking. Also talk to them in the MDR when you arrive on the ship. They will take your order each night for the following day. Enjoy your cruise! 

IMG_7937.jpeg

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisedoctor said:

This is an excerpt from a November 2023 Princess Press Release.  "The three dining levels will serve guests multicourse meals from friendly wait staff and each have their own personalities, offer different dining experiences and range in levels of formality, including the Horizons Diner on Deck 8 offering breakfast, lunch and dinner favorites all day long."

So, it does have to do with formality which I think will extend to fashion. It also sounds like one of them will be a bit more formal than the Worldfresh Marketplace (buffet) or even an "upgraded" buffet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Good to know

Allergens 

Of course, this stuff is all on the Old App too.

Even though we have "Fast" pace selected, never makes a difference.....

It will be interesting to see if it matters on the Sun.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SJpaul said:

@duck 65 

Thank you for that explaintion

Anyone on the March 29 able to make ressies yet?

I have not been to make specialty restaurant reservations yet on 3/29/24 sailing.

• Like 1

Looking to sail in 2025 and we are reserved in 14642, any thoughts? The one prior was 14601 and we felt view may be obstucted by the neighboring balcony on the right

Edited by Maycruser

On 1/25/2023 at 12:51 PM, Wishing on a star said:

That is a good question about the Aft cabins!

The deck plans on the Princess website do not show a lot of detail.  But the only true Aft balconies seem to be Handicap Accessable.   There are two regular (now deluxe) balconies, one on each side of the back of the ship with angled balconies that would have some Aft view.  

It looks like even the Suites, on the upper decks, are only on each side.  Looks like an aft view off the side of the balcony, as the balconies face more to the side.

I just booked and we are in the 14642, I'm not sure what the views will be like..

Edited by Maycruser

@Maycruser Here is a annotated photo of the ship.  I've circled 14643 which is on the image.thumb.png.0bf058f46e564cd36d48781ab60f4610.pngopposite side of the ship from 14642.  I would venture to say that your main view will be out to the side of the ship.  You may get some aft view, but only if you stand right at the rail and look aft.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maycruser said:

I just booked and we are in the 14642, I'm not sure what the views will be like..

We considered that, or another very aft cabin, but were concerned by the lift marked on the deck plan right next door and that it might create noise or foot traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

@Maycruser Here is a annotated photo of the ship.  I've circled 14643 which is on the image.thumb.png.0bf058f46e564cd36d48781ab60f4610.pngopposite side of the ship from 14642.  I would venture to say that your main view will be out to the side of the ship.  You may get some aft view, but only if you stand right at the rail and look aft.  

There seems to be a staircase on the aft of Decks 10 - 15 with what looks to be open (public??) balconies like the Coral Princess?

6 minutes ago, chamima said:

There seems to be a staircase on the aft of Decks 10 - 15 with what looks to be open (public??) balconies like the Coral Princess?

It seems like that. If they put some kind of seat you’ll find me there often!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nini said:

So, it does have to do with formality which I think will extend to fashion. It also sounds like one of them will be a bit more formal than the Worldfresh Marketplace (buffet) or even an "upgraded" buffet.

I really think too much is being read into this and some people are hoping that the MDR's equate to what you wear which is really hard to believe because Princess has been going in the opposite direction of formal wear in recent years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

I really think too much is being read into this and some people are hoping that the MDR's equate to what you wear which is really hard to believe because Princess has been going in the opposite direction of formal wear in recent years.

I tend to agree. Princess has clearly been becoming more informal, trying to appeal to younger cruisers / families etc. Look at all the top deck entertainment options they are adding. Suddenly adding back in a formal dress code seems high unlikely. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leo37 said:

I tend to agree. Princess has clearly been becoming more informal, trying to appeal to younger cruisers / families etc. Look at all the top deck entertainment options they are adding. Suddenly adding back in a formal dress code seems high unlikely. 

Yes, but the anticipation is killing me! lol. We are all speculating and won't know for sure until the first cruisers can tell us. I myself cannot wait to hear all about it!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mayacruzer,  by all photos and images, I do not see any 'obstruction' there.

That first cabin you mentioned has that extended balcony right next to it.  Not only obstructed, but a privacy issue as well.

Just notice that these aft balconies are very small.... The deck plans are pretty much correct... and having that corner cropped off, gives you an aft view, but smaller than the already small balconies on Princess.

About the dress code.

I think the jury is still out on that one!!!

The top level is 'walk-up' and would seem to be more'come as you are'...  

The middle level seems to be like the Anytime, but do reserve ahead, dining.

I could see that Princess would offer a more formal option...  (not necessarily 'formal night' tie required)

Then, perhaps, no specific Formal Night(s) would be required????  (Or maybe in that lower level???)

This whole set-up gives everyone a choice, and will end the age-old snobs-vs-slobs debate!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1