Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

8 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

Yes, the mini-suites are confusing on Sun Princess. Some (C1/C2) have private cabanas, Reserve benefits, and cabana deck access.  Some (e.g., M1) have Reserve benefits but have neither private cabanas nor cabana deck access.  Others (e.g., CA) have private cabanas but have neither cabana deck access nor Reserve benefits.  Finally, there are regular mini-suites (e.g., MA) that don’t have Reserve benefits, private cabanas, or cabana deck access.

This is even more confusing than Reserve Mini-Suite (aka Club Class mini) on previous ships.  The dining room (on non sun class ships) would have a sign outside saying "Reserve" so new passengers just just thought it meant those with "reservations".  

Who thinks these things up???  (aka Sheldon Cooper).

But then again, when I was moved from my Window Suite (S7) on the Grand to a S7 (S111/I think) on the Sky.....it was too high, way forward, far away from the concierge's lounge, and "looked like a mini-suite layout" with a suite bathroom.  I cancelled my booking.

Whoever starts a live, please start a new thread.  I am sure there will tons of questions.  

BTW...I was just watching a YouTube video about the Class system on Cunard Queen ships.  Is this where Princess is headed?

@CatMom72 Love your descriptions.  Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The dining room (on non sun class ships) would have a sign outside saying "Reserve" so new passengers just just thought it meant those with "reservations".  

You’re absolutely right. The “Reserve” moniker is very deceptive, particularly for people whose first language is not English and might not understand the difference between “reserve” and “reservation.”  Princess should have more obvious names and descriptions for these room categories and the associated benefits.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

BTW...I was just watching a YouTube video about the Class system on Cunard Queen ships.  Is this where Princess is headed?

@CatMom72

Princess is following in the footsteps of many a main stream cruise line, starting with the Concierge Lounge on Royal class ships, and expanding to Reserve class dining areas, and now the  completely separate dining rooms for both Reserve and suites, Suite only lounge, Concierge, and Suite only deck space, etc 

While Cunard is the main starter for the class system, basically every line has been jumping aboard over the last 20 years - Celebrity with Aqua class and Retreat Class,  NCL with Haven, RCCL with their various suite levels, MSC with Aurea and Yacht Club, Virgin with their Rock Star spaces, and so forth.

Princess is simply keeping pace with the trends.. and the trends are towards more inclusions and exclusively for the big spenders and the same standard inclusions for the rest ; albeit with less space aboard the ships as more is given over the big $$$ spenders...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

But then again, when I was moved from my Window Suite (S7) on the Grand to a S7 (S111/I think) on the Sky.....it was too high, way forward, far away from the concierge's lounge, and "looked like a mini-suite layout" with a suite bathroom.  I cancelled my booking.

corrections:

Grand Window Suite (S7)

Sky (S111) S5

Although it was an upgraded trade, in my mind, it was not equivalent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

Yes. S9 is a Signature Suite.  If you book this room, you get Signature benefits.  D0 and other Deluxe Balcony categories are not advertised as having Signature benefits.  If you book any room category that doesn’t start with “S” you should not expect to have Signature benefits.

15603 is a premium deluxe balcony.

if you do a mock booking the pop up describes the cabin with Signature Benefits & upgrades. So it does advertise this in the website.

I asked on board ship and posted previously in thread.

i do not Know personally yet, but those aft premium deluxe balconies were a higher fare then those midship.

we will just have to wait and see before declaring one way or another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is even more confusing than Reserve Mini-Suite (aka Club Class mini) on previous ships.  The dining room (on non sun class ships) would have a sign outside saying "Reserve" so new passengers just just thought it meant those with "reservations".  

Who thinks these things up???  (aka Sheldon Cooper).

Whoever starts a live, please start a new thread.  I am sure there will tons of questions.  

@CatMom72 Love your descriptions.  Thank you

Should have taken S111 - great cabin on a great and quiet deck.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dog said:

if you do a mock booking the pop up describes the cabin with Signature Benefits & upgrades. So it does advertise this in the website.

I'm not seeing that so maybe Princess corrected the description.

I tried a mock booking choosing the more expensive Premium Deluxe Balcony category and 15603 has no discussion of signature benefits. Described as 236 square feet it also doesn't fit the Signature Suites general description of 304 square feet and more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, dog said:

i do not Know personally yet, but those aft premium deluxe balconies were a higher fare then those midship.

we will just have to wait and see before declaring one way or another.

20 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I tried a mock booking choosing the more expensive Premium Deluxe Balcony category and 15603 has no discussion of signature benefits. Described as 236 square feet it also doesn't fit the Signature Suites general description of 304 square feet and more.

Interesting, I pulled that stateroom up on the deck plan and it does not show Signature benefits. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, capriccio said:

2 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Interesting, I pulled that stateroom up on the deck plan and it does not show Signature benefits. 

I am using an iPhone to go to the website. After I choose standard, pick my cabin I get the pop up description and at the bottom of pop up it says includes signature benefits & upgrades.

i did not get pop up on my laptop.

i booked months ago and have seen this regularly right up to a minute ago.

i did ask on board Regal in FC Dept. See earlier post.

Maybe a glitch?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dog said:

Maybe a glitch?

I would say yes, it’s a glitch for the D0 cabins.  D0 and D1 cost exactly the same, and differ only in terms of location (aft vs. midship).  But D1 doesn’t have anything about “signature” in the description when you do the mock booking. That would make absolutely no sense for identical cabins that cost the same to have such drastically different amenities.  For example, an S9 Signature Suite is essentially just a regular mini-suite with Signature benefits, but it costs significantly more than a regular mini-suite because of the Signature amenities.  Otherwise why would anyone pay the S9 price?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dog said:

IMG_5658.png

From the Princess website this morning. Verified by the Future Cruise person on Regal this week.

I say, let’s wait and see if anyone reports back who actually have these cabins.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dog said:

From the Princess website this morning. Verified by the Future Cruise person on Regal this week.

I say, let’s wait and see if anyone reports back who actually have these cabins.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens.  Because if Princess allows people with these rooms to have Signature Suite benefits, they will be giving the shaft to (a) the hundreds of people who paid more for a mini-suite but didn’t get any Signature Suite benefits, (b) the hundreds of people who paid MUCH MORE for suites specifically so they could get the Signature Suite benefits, and (c) the dozens of people who paid the same price for the same room category (Premium Deluxe Balcony) but did not get any Signature Suite benefits.  What a mess…

Edited by CatMom72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm also one of the people who has booked a Premium Deluxe Balcony that says it comes with Signature benefits. While we choose it because of the location and price were right for us mainly, having Signature benefits was also part of the published benefits of the cabin as the screenshot shared above shows. People in group A and B above get plenty of benefits like their larger rooms, improved in room amenities etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 7:15 AM, Fortunate 2 travel said:

I’m in a signature suite and can’t book the signature dining room.

I think you just walk in. No reason to have a reservation. At least that’s been my experience with club dining. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leo37 said:

I'm also one of the people who has booked a Premium Deluxe Balcony that says it comes with Signature benefits. While we choose it because of the location and price were right for us mainly, having Signature benefits was also part of the published benefits of the cabin as the screenshot shared above shows. People in group A and B above get plenty of benefits like their larger rooms, improved in room amenities etc.

If you get the extra benefits, good for you!  Its most likely an error, but hopefully they honor it.

Wrong info on all Cruise lines is common.

• Like 1

D0 was not a category when I booked. I booked my stateroom based on location due to the stateroom category we wanted was not available. I don’t expect anything more than what I paid for and will pay for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, SleeStack1 said:

If you get the extra benefits, good for you!  Its most likely an error, but hopefully they honor it.

Wrong info on all Cruise lines is common.

That's exactly the attitude we're taking. We liked the location, the giant balcony, and price was good. If it comes with other perks, that's a bonus 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shutterbug63 said:

I was browsing Instagram and found this reel that  appears to show a partial regular sized balcony and a better view of a premium deluxe balcony which is huge, but looks pretty exposed.

We've sailed on the Royal and Regal  - it's nice to see that perhaps the regular balconies on Sun are larger than those!

The balcony depth on the rooms in the "skinny part" look deeper (on the deck plan) than those out at the wide parts.  I'm pretty sure this was one of the rooms on the "skinny" part of the ship, hence the deeper balcony.

image.png.523ba92eee6c278454c16b4a3895723e.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Leo37 said:

That's exactly the attitude we're taking. We liked the location, the giant balcony, and price was good. If it comes with other perks, that's a bonus 

Exactly the same for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

Glad to see you are amused by the prospect of Princess shafting hundreds of people per cruise on the Sun. 🙄

I wouldn’t say that.

I see you are disturbed by sharing Signature benefits with this D0- aft category of passengers.

I am not bothered by it the weeks I have suites on Sun & Star booked. It is a choice and also still an unknown.

i am truly sorry.

• Like 2