The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 16th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning! Great morning for sleeping in with temperatures in the forties. Finally some cooler weather and maybe it will slow down the azaleas from blooming. We have been to Funchal several times. It’s a beautiful place.

Again not much on the agenda as everything is pretty much done as we await joining family to celebrate Christmas.

Lot’s of folks cruising but we have to wait until Jan 5 for our 12 days of Caribbean cruising.

Have a great day and thanks for all your post and thoughts.

image.jpeg.8132bcd84210d2421dbdd55e83655b31.jpegimage.jpeg.4031137d242995cbe377fb532a680b2e.jpegimage.jpeg.a65515804d5cac93799bb6c8217cac30.jpegimage.jpeg.dabcfa5721e547bbe7914bafa3f9d81a.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Today's care list:

HALsailer DSIL with cancer and very weak
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

@rafinmd Thank you for keeping DSIL on the lists. I'd suggest just listing her among the Rotation now for however many days the good Lord grants her.  Despite her continued weakness, her oncologist is hoping to resume immunotherapy today but that is not considered curative.

We will spend Christmas with DSIL as, in one of his more cognitive moments, my DH asked to be with his sister "as I don't think she will live much longer." I do think DH is correct.

We arrived home in NWMI last night after four days on the road from SWFL. It's a long haul as the only driver and I need to rethink that strategy as my DH was very confused each day. Staying in the same hotel brand each night so that he has the same lobby, same room layout, etc no longer seems to help. Flying may be wiser...

But, we had a safe trip despite the last few hours of driving through magical, ice coated forests. (I should have stopped to take pictures. It was truly beautiful.) The trees were coated but the temperature had come up enough so the roads were only wet. Thankfully.

I thought of @dfish when we stopped for lunch at a favorite restaurant known for its comfort food. It's in Ithaca not too far from her new home in Midland and I wondered if @dfish has enjoyed the Mennonite owned Hearthstone Oven on her way to/from Ohio.

Much to catch up on here at home and, especially, here on The Daily amidst all you kind folk. While I catch up, please know I send my 🙏prayers🙏 and my🎉hurrahs🎉 to you!

-Melisa

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  It's nice to see another day of reconciliation; we celebrated ours in September.  Hello:  chocolate!?!  Haven't had a stupid toy since last year when we opened our Christmas crackers.  I'm going to add the drink of the day to my list to try on our next BHB.

We've been to Funchal a number of times on TA's, but certainly the last time was most enjoyable.  Like @SusieKIslandGirl, we were on a David's Taxi tour with @kazuand had the most amazing tour of the island.  One of my favourite funny memories of the tour was a brief washroom stop that I could only describe as "exhilarating".  LOL

@Crazy For Catslove the meme - can I steal it for another site?

A couple of things on the agenda today, first I need a gel nail fill - mine are getting way too long; I know this because I'm using the backspace button much too often.  Then this afternoon we've been invited over to friends for coffee and cookies - she's a great cook, so I can't wait for the visit.  Saw this meme and it reminded me of the 3 trips to Michaels I made last week . . .

made.jpg.058d0801ce0f8b28370338710d8d4af9.jpg

Today's menu suggestion is a good one, especially since it's Friday!  We'll likely stop at a small pizza shop on the way home from our afternoon visit and pick up a couple of slices to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is needing them, cheers to all with celebrations going on.  Be well, stay safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry   

Absolutely, I got it off FB.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday, the furnace is in and running as of yesterday afternoon but another tech is here this morning for some fine tuning.   We are off to Walmart to get some bread and gift cards, my pharmacy to pick up three months of meds and to the furnace company to pay my bill.   We are supposed to have lake effect snow all weekend beginning in the afternoon.   I will have to battle snow when I go for my hair appointment,    I hope my family can make it over for my birthday party Sunday, they are long standing Michiganders so they should be able to make it.  No chance DB and DSIL are going to make it.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports.   My image of reconciliation is of my checkbook that I quit doing years ago.  With all the electronic data on phones and laptops it is really easy to stay on top of things.   I will pass on the chocolate covered unless it is a fine graham cracker.   I see some stupid toys at Costco the giant round stuffed pastel somethings, I guess they could serve as a pillow. 

Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.    Thanks for the great research on the comestibles.  I like the pizza baguettes, will pass on the cocktail and probably will never cross pass with today's vino.    Thanks for the photos of Funchal today.   Both groups so far are beautiful.  Have a nice Friday!    Nancy   

• Like 23

Good morning friends!  We slept in slightly later this morning which is a good thing.  My sleep pattern is terrible anymore.  I sleep for a few hours, then wake up and toss and turn until nearly time to wake up.  The reason seems to be my lower back pain because I can't find a position that doesn't hurt it.  I really should have some scans done to determine what to do about it.  On another health issue, since I've been walking up stairs on this ship for the last 4 weeks (no elevator at all), my knee pain and pressure problems are nearly gone.  We have one flight of stairs at home and I hate to think I'll need to walk up and down them at least 18 times in one day to remain knee pain free but if I have to I will.

At breakfast I watched the Nieuw Statendam slide into place near the Volendam here at Half Moon Cay.  A while ago an announcement was made that they were going to reposition our ship due to currents, then resume tendering to the island.  We will go over for a walk a little later, but may start some of our packing beforehand.  Gotta give @RedneckBob time to arrive at his cabana!  haha

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor our Daily and bon voyage to him, Jacqui @kazu, Linda @lindalerand everyone else heading to their embarkation day.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all in need and cheers to the rest of you.

Funchal is a beautiful port to visit and we had it here on March 11, 2021 so here is Rich's post from that date.  Thanks in advance for all the photos coming!

The port of Funchal is one we have visited a few times.  Anyone who has done a transatlantic has probably stopped there or in the Azores.  Our first visit on Emerald Princess was in 2008.  It was our first transatlantic so we were excited to see this new and fascinating place.  We got on a bus and first did some touring of the cliff, Cabo Girao.  I loved the purple blooming trees all over the place.  This is a photo of some taken from the top of our double decker bus.enhance

enhance

The view from an overlook. enhance

And the view from the cliff, straight down.  That's a little unsettling, isn't it?enhance

enhance

Back in town we headed to the market.  I think I remember these tiles on a wall there.enhance

Presentation is just as important as the quality of the fruits and veggies.  I would buy from this vendor, wouldn't you?enhance

In 2013 on the Royal Princess maiden transatlantic we enjoyed exploring more of the downtown area by walking, no tour.  enhance

A city park where vendors had set up shop.  I bought a handmade necklace from one.enhance

enhance

lovely fountain in a roundaboutenhance

enhance

Remember these days?enhance

enhance

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We slept in slightly later this morning which is a good thing.  My sleep pattern is terrible anymore.  I sleep for a few hours, then wake up and toss and turn until nearly time to wake up.  The reason seems to be my lower back pain because I can't find a position that doesn't hurt it.  I really should have some scans done to determine what to do about it.  On another health issue, since I've been walking up stairs on this ship for the last 4 weeks (no elevator at all), my knee pain and pressure problems are nearly gone.  We have one flight of stairs at home and I hate to think I'll need to walk up and down them at least 18 times in one day to remain knee pain free but if I have to I will.

At breakfast I watched the Nieuw Statendam slide into place near the Volendam here at Half Moon Cay.  A while ago an announcement was made that they were going to reposition our ship due to currents, then resume tendering to the island.  We will go over for a walk a little later, but may start some of our packing beforehand.  Gotta give @RedneckBob time to arrive at his cabana!  haha

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor our Daily and bon voyage to him, Jacqui @kazu, Linda @lindalerand everyone else heading to their embarkation day.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all in need and cheers to the rest of you.

Funchal is a beautiful port to visit and we had it here on March 11, 2021 so here is Rich's post from that date.  Thanks in advance for all the photos coming!

The port of Funchal is one we have visited a few times.  Anyone who has done a transatlantic has probably stopped there or in the Azores.  Our first visit on Emerald Princess was in 2008.  It was our first transatlantic so we were excited to see this new and fascinating place.  We got on a bus and first did some touring of the cliff, Cabo Girao.  I loved the purple blooming trees all over the place.  This is a photo of some taken from the top of our double decker bus.enhance

enhance

The view from an overlook. enhance

And the view from the cliff, straight down.  That's a little unsettling, isn't it?enhance

enhance

Back in town we headed to the market.  I think I remember these tiles on a wall there.enhance

Presentation is just as important as the quality of the fruits and veggies.  I would buy from this vendor, wouldn't you?enhance

In 2013 on the Royal Princess maiden transatlantic we enjoyed exploring more of the downtown area by walking, no tour.  enhance

A city park where vendors had set up shop.  I bought a handmade necklace from one.enhance

enhance

lovely fountain in a roundaboutenhance

enhance

Remember these days?enhance

enhance

StLouisCruisers,

Still on NS, very slow tendering, currently finished packing it in at breakfast and now packing luggage. May not go ashore until after lunch. Hope there is a clamshell left! 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

StLouisCruisers,

Still on NS, very slow tendering, currently finished packing it in at breakfast and now packing luggage. May not go ashore until after lunch. Hope there is a clamshell left! 

Whoops!  Well we’re heading over soon and packing after lunch. May not see you today. We’re not really beach people but want to walk around a bit over there.  Good luck with your tendering!!

• Like 15

Good morning from a very cloudy, windy and cold (for us) central Texas.  Depending on which thermometer we read, it's either 39F or 41F,  and with the north wind, it will seem colder.  The outside temperature on the control for the heat pump says it's 33F so the auxiliary heat is also on.   I think we need to have that thermometer checked as it's always several degrees different from the other two.  There's not much on the agenda, so I may try to tackle some of the mess stored in DH's shop.  A lot are boxes for the Christmas decorations that I did not want to haul back up in the attic, only to have to bring them down again after Christmas.  If asked, I call that being sensible not being lazy.  😁

Rich, @richwmn you had me at chocolate covered anything, except chocolate covered raisins.  I like the Day of Reconciliation, and it can be for reconciling anything.  I might have what is considered a stupid toy.  My father loved toys that would move and do things when turned on.  He gave me a pink pig that wiggles its snout and oinks.  

The quote is true, and a few times this fall going insane might have helped.  Fortunately, our regality has greatly improved, though there are times people might think I've gone insane for other reasons.  🤣

The meal sounds interesting, but I think I'll stick to thin crust pizza. We'll pass on the drink, and would give the wine a try if given the chance.

We have been to Funchal several times beginning in 2000 on P&O world cruise on Oriana.  I'll look up my pictures and post them in a few minutes.

@grapau27  Thank you for your great pictures.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope you have a great day in Aruba.

@dfish  Debbie, it's the baking, not cleaning up the mess that can wear you out.  😉

@Heartgrove  Jack, I enjoyed seeing your pictures.

@lindaler  Linda, have a safe and uneventful flight, and a great cruise starting tomorrow.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, I'm glad you made it home safely and didn't run into any really bad weather.  I'm sorry the trip confused your DH.  Glad you will spend Christmas with DSIL, and sending positive thoughts that she is comfortable.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for your pictures and for sharing the link.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

I was lucky enough to visit the beautiful island of Madeira on the Oosterdam in November.  We took a “free” ship’s tour called Botanic Beauty.  I love our visit the Funchal Farmers market.

9431A86E-3569-4CC9-8B51-40B42AEE21C7.thumb.jpeg.769811fa509efecac567b766a1329a2d.jpeg

62FD9914-B267-46C2-B5EC-59A07CEBEDAA.thumb.jpeg.ed03518c84146b852cb29fc1209840cf.jpeg

Black scabard fish being cleaned.  Too bad we didn’t get to taste them . I hear they are delicious.

A39C4671-B8D9-4E11-9A61-AECD34C16788.thumb.jpeg.04214ea5532f11db616e4fe2eab2d24e.jpeg 

We didn’t ride the sleds  but enjoyed watching.01C5DC1C-5D2C-46B6-8344-AA6C5C6F664B.thumb.jpeg.3fdb5ec06b70a11c697d0388806f0dbd.jpeg

Our Lady of Monte551727D7-AE91-43E1-A002-F90491764C93.thumb.jpeg.d203496c073f5a0149308accdb7b8469.jpeg

Next the cable cars to the gardens.  

1A1418B3-D440-4EA1-AE4B-21696B881213.thumb.jpeg.5c6583ac163669f3c18eed2defaf3869.jpeg

I hate heights but the views were incredible.

1D2B94C2-3267-40EC-90A3-D45F1C27B3E1.thumb.jpeg.a3656935483bcd2f7aafbb4df52e2499.jpeg

741258E8-1594-4830-ABA4-9FEAAE423CF1.thumb.jpeg.e73b0592418afea28c4cf33e03e17341.jpeg

The gardens were lovely0777036D-0D37-4971-A8B5-9CF168F48E4D.thumb.jpeg.97ac88aa914a0f72a786a472c9c84870.jpeg

7979CE66-73DF-4D61-BD06-763139C269DD.thumb.jpeg.3cb943abc3ef391dd80cf6d87d03f793.jpeg

B9793F9D-EF0C-497A-86BB-38A9786E78F1.thumb.jpeg.9b25bc818158e16e4c52a62e62638c13.jpeg

364C0E41-B914-4D40-8237-753AC83EF087.thumb.jpeg.6be8f8d9cd2ab70cb71caa1c3e19ece6.jpeg

2EDEEB02-5075-4A8C-9FA3-1B17EF2AB81E.thumb.jpeg.b922edbb6a82467d8d8c05c7b97c1fdb.jpeg
Looking back at the city as we departed in the evening.3E158A06-BD85-421B-BD4B-FC1C66E7738B.thumb.jpeg.3c413a27bc413dd288172c723149f53d.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5

We have been to Madeira four times on different cruises.  The first time was in 2002 while on the P&O World Cruise out of Southampton.  Then next time was in 2004 on the Noordam.  Capt. Jon Scott suggested that we try the toboggans that go down a steep street. It was an interesting ride, and the two men who guide each toboggan down the street do a good job.  The scary part was the cross traffic that did not stop.  The third time, we were on the Tahitian Princess, and yes she was a long way from home.  The ship was headed to Singapore for a drydock and name change to Ocean Princess.  Our final visit was in 2017 on the Prinsendam's TA to Ft. Lauderdale.

When we have visited Madeira, we have walked around town, taken a tour, taken the Ho-Ho and the last time rented a car.  Our one tour was a 4-wheel drive to the mountain top which was partially successful.  It had snowed on the mountain the night before, and while we drove up there, we could not do the off-road part.  Instead, we had our picnic lunch in the vehicle and then proceeded  back to town to tour a winery.

This is a view from our 4-wheel vehicle.

P1080075.thumb.JPG.be8a863cf6d4b26aa666fa99721638fb.JPG

The toboggans after we finished our run.

IMG_2659.thumb.JPG.327f8d52e39cca97e558e0cc02be19ed.JPG

A  view of the main shopping street.

IMG_7224.thumb.JPG.2cb0344ac87ee11a5308f4ebd75c0951.JPG

The outside of the market that sells fish, fruits, vegetables and arts and crafts.

IMG_7209.thumb.JPG.0ea82520d1bf342e8dfe4e7c2771cc7c.JPG

Two blue-hulled beauties in 2004.  The Prinsendam was on her World Cruise.  One of our tablemates parents were on the Pdam and they got to visit the ship.

IMG_2648.thumb.JPG.6a7cabaac60cf3d38762cfde2cda5c39.JPG

The other side of the island is totally different.  It is the windy side of the island and the towns are smaller.  None of my pictures there were very good.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Thank you everyone for the kind words yesterday. I was stir crazy but got through it. Today I fly to FL and tomorrow I board. For me the worst part is the flights. Once I'm on board I don't have to leave for 91 days. Or at least pack and leave. Last night I got a freeze alert so will have to saddle my son with the duty of buying the cute cups that go over water faucets outside. Just a quick note as I still have a few things to finish getting ready for my ride to the airport. Son should be here soon. Once I have gotten through TSA I will sit and read all of today's comments. Prayers for all. I will try to stay in touch. 

We always turn our water off at the main (inside) and open the Taps to drain them when we leave for an extended time, winter or summer. This way if the furnace fails or the little braided pipes to the toilets or sinks are weak, there is no danger of water damage. Our kids know that they still get one flush on each toilet if they come to check on the house. 

• Like 14

Up early this morning. I have a meeting at 9:30 and then need to go out to the shelter to look at something in the files. Also need to walk the chihuahua again. It was too cold for him earlier. Right now he is curled up in his bed.

Pictures all look lovely..... and warm.

Back later.

Susan

• Like 15

@puppycanducruise My mom got into the habit of reversing and combing words, after our live in governess in France couldn't get American phrases correct.  (She was a live in, because my mother never did learn French so wouldnt shop and she wanted to travel as much as she could while Dad was stationed in Europe. and they couldnt leave two young kids on their own)  Well, your freezing drizzle reminded me of dreezing frizzle.  

It is not warm here today, but instead of the temps the computer is now giving the the stock market reports.  They are down too.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, superoma said:

We always turn our water off at the main (inside) and open the Taps to drain them when we leave for an extended time, winter or summer. This way if the furnace fails or the little braided pipes to the toilets or sinks are weak, there is no danger of water damage. Our kids know that they still get one flush on each toilet if they come to check on the house. 

Eva, when we leave for the winter in Arizona, we turn the water off at the meter, drain the pressure out of the lines and leave the cabinet doors under the sinks open.  

I looked through my pictures from our 2017 visit to Funchal on Prinsendam.  With a little work, some of the ones on the other side of the island are now decent enough to share.  Quite a few were taken from the car, so please forgive the pictures of the dashboard.

This was taken as we headed toward the north shore of Madeira.  On the way, we took the main road that traveled through several tunnels.

DSC02876.thumb.JPG.6cf3f2fc80d5e553f22fe4446e7cecae.JPG

These pictures were taken along the coast road between Sao Vincente and Seixal.

DSC02884.thumb.JPG.9bf9f1bef8f716256b32e4fd1f1f9ea3.JPG

DSC02885.thumb.JPG.05792459b256f22326f5b5f0f4dbafd8.JPG

The next few were taken in the area of  Porto Moniz at the northwestern tip of the island.

DSC02887.thumb.JPG.598a22c9d337ca25c5dcbe0cdc1bea94.JPG

This island is just off the coast at Porto Moniz, and if you look carefully at the top, there is a navigational light powered by solar panels.

DSC02891.thumb.JPG.0d5729c80aa16aa5062fddc57e06ae34.JPG

These rock formations were just off shore at Riberia da Janela.

DSC02892.thumb.JPG.17d3301965dcead30c1d1f124ec19856.JPG

DSC02894.thumb.JPG.1869e7135c872ef95070873696231055.JPG

The town of Seixal

DSC02893.thumb.JPG.8758f7aa99054df4f03d4263a5eb087f.JPG

Going back across the island, we took the scenic road that goes over the mountains.  We passed this vineyard.
DSC02895.thumb.JPG.a0334159e635b607514af19252ca3498.JPG

Views from the lookout point at the top of a pass.

DSC02898.thumb.JPG.34c885f2dd36fed3501d39ca6f765aa3.JPG

Looking down at the road we would be traveling back to Funchal.

DSC02902.thumb.JPG.d956cc0351c40113e6d9815f4add7a00.JPG

A few pictures of Funchal

DSC02919.thumb.JPG.9e435f0c9157e0d8dc118173b17e9e43.JPG

We drove up a valley on the other side to the main area of Funchal.  We took a couple of pictures of this bridge, but weren't planning on crossing it.  Somehow, we managed to get on the road that took the bridge across the valley.  It was scarier looking up at it than driving across it.

DSC02925.thumb.JPG.1fc3edc33e3d2ab9ff4c56ea66698f03.JPG

DSC02923.thumb.JPG.eb346f48359577e1ae1952ee751b19e7.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

I thought of @dfish when we stopped for lunch at a favorite restaurant known for its comfort food. It's in Ithaca not too far from her new home in Midland and I wondered if @dfish has enjoyed the Mennonite owned Hearthstone Oven on her way to/from Ohio.

Hey, Melisa!   When I was driving up from Ohio I went up 23 and 75 and never got as far west as Ithaca.  I used to go through Ithaca when I was in college at Western Michigan.  It was a three hour drive from Midland to Kalamazoo and it seemed soooo long.  

I'm glad you will be spending Christmas with DSIL.   Make it her best.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Yes, it is the baking, not the clean up that wears you out.  Clean up actually went pretty quickly.  I just wiped everything onto the floor, swept, and mopped and I was done.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

We had a white elephant gift exchange at our Firefighter Banquet this year and one of the gifts was what I would classify as a stupid toy: 

Redneck Plunger

Please do not send any of these to Redneck Bob.  He already has three of these from last Christmas.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Good morning all!  Home from shopping at 9:15 this morning — almost done!  Dinner tonight is lobster bisque with a side salad.  If you haven’t tried the soups from Walmart I would say give them a try.  With DH’s dental problems they have been a godsend — tasty and not too expensive.

Long range forecast has snow coming next Thursday/Friday so I need to make sure all pre-Christmas work is fine.  Happy Friday!  Katherine 

• Like 16

45 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Please do not send any of these to Redneck Bob.  He already has three of these from last Christmas.

Correct, how did you know that. One for each toilet in the house. But once you use it, it causes a lot of plumbing repair work 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 12