18+ Shows, How Strict is NCL?

spenecer

I am reading some of the dailies posted in this forum and noticing that some shows say 18+.  How strict is NCL in enforcing this rule?  I am cruising for the first time with a 16 year old who, I as the parent, feel is perfectly capable of handling adult language and content.  I would obviously like to attend some of these comedy shows with my child, but I'm wondering if NCL will block us?

25 minutes ago, spenecer said:

I am reading some of the dailies posted in this forum and noticing that some shows say 18+.  How strict is NCL in enforcing this rule?  I am cruising for the first time with a 16 year old who, I as the parent, feel is perfectly capable of handling adult language and content.  I would obviously like to attend some of these comedy shows with my child, but I'm wondering if NCL will block us?

I saw them turn away some young people at a Rock of Ages show.  Not sure how old they were, though.  Some of the comedians can get pretty blue.  Doesn’t bother me, but I can see how some teens being subject to the show might be influenced in ways you probably wouldn’t want.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spenecer said:

No problem. For the comedy shows, It is not a restriction,,, it is a recommendation based on content. Lots of f-bombs and sexually suggestive content. That being said, it is nothing that your 16 year old doesn't hear every day at school. 

For bars and nightclubs, it is a restriction. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I saw them turn away some young people at a Rock of Ages show.  Not sure how old they were, though.  Some of the comedians can get pretty blue.  Doesn’t bother me, but I can see how some teens being subject to the show might be influenced in ways you probably wouldn’t want.

Could you tell if they were doing it 'by eye' or checking IDs?

5 minutes ago, spenecer said:

My 15 and 17 year olds enjoyed the show. Kids can see R rated movies with their parents. All cruise lines are strict with kids clubs ages due to insurance liabilities.

5 minutes ago, spenecer said:

Didn’t pay that close attention.  I know they were behind me.  I had already entered the theater, but heard the ushers say the the show was for 18+ and the parents and what I’ll assume was a teen just turned around and left.  Don’t know what happened after that.

On the Joy in March at least one of the comedians made it a point to inform parents of young-looking people that the show they were in was intended as 18+ or adult-oriented.  One was sitting in the front row prior to the show and stayed, one walked in during the set and was walking to the front of the theater (come on, people!) and they had a much younger person with them than the one that was already sitting, they were convinced to turn around and walk out - BY THE PERFORMER.  There was apparently no checking at the door by any staff...

3 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

Not strict. Parents are left to decide. But...I certainly wouldn't have taken my pre-teens to see Rock of Ages or a very adult themed comedy show on one of my last cruises. Just my choice.

I've really young kids at Rock of Ages...whining and sitting in the aisle.

I don't really care if an under 18 is in the show, but I sure hope the parents don't get upset and whine about the language, content of the show. Having said that, if NCL does actually enforce an age restriction (from this thread it looks like yes and no, but maybe so), then parents need to not be entitled and try to sneak their children in. Those kids have the rest of their life to hear lots of f-bombs.

Wow...I so sound like a "get off my lawn" kind of guy. Argh!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, spenecer said:

It's super inconsistent, in my experience. I've seen them turn away teens at certain shows, yet the show had several toddlers in the audience. So I'd say it's hit or miss.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, reeinaz said:

There are comedy shows without the age restriction that kids under 18 can attend. It's the late-night ones that have the age restriction, and not even all of those have that restriction.

There are no "restrictions". It is advisement of adult content... that any older teen hears and sees every day in school. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

My problem is wanting to attend an adult only show, and then have the entertainer decide that due to underage people in the audience, they decide to change their show.

Most comedians I like would make a point to make their show raunchier if parents brought younger children to an 18+ show. As they should.

But honestly, my 16 year old hears things in high school that no 18+ show on NCL will ever broach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, palpieha said:

Most comedians I like would make a point to make their show raunchier if parents brought younger children to an 18+ show. As they should.

But honestly, my 16 year old hears things in high school that no 18+ show on NCL will ever broach.

I have 5 young adult children, I was never naive, but when my 24 year old son was a high school sophomore, for some reason with our cellphone account I was getting the varsity boys soccer texts on my iPad. 

• Haha 2