Ambulance this morning

Cruise a holic

29 minutes ago, sassycruiser said:

In may my husband fell and was take off the ship in an ambulance.  It was quite humorous to read that it was due to Covid.   He had dislocated his shoulder.  No Covid.   

Hope he is well.  Not a party to get sick or injury, especially on vacation.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I seriously doubt that HIPAA provides any protection for third parties spreading rumors about nameless people on the internet.

I understand HIPAA better than the majority of people on this board. I was instrumental in writing our hospital's Policy and Procedures for HIPAA...among numerous other policies. I never said it provides protection for anonymous people. My point was patient privacy is just that...private. It's one of the major tenets of HIPAA, It's nobody's business why someone got into an ambulance, unless you are rendering care to that person, regardless which country. And I seriously doubt anyone on this board was giving care or has a need to know. Period.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I understand HIPAA better than the majority of people on this board. I was instrumental in writing our hospital's Policy and Procedures for HIPAA

Then you understand the concept of covered entities and you also understand that cruise ship passengers and actually the entire cruise ship are not covered entities.

11 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

It's nobody's business why someone got into an ambulance,

While I most certainly agree with this statement, it really has nothing to do with HIPAA other than HIPAA was established to formalize this otherwise broad idea for a narrow group of certain covered entities.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I understand HIPAA better than the majority of people on this board. I was instrumental in writing our hospital's Policy and Procedures for HIPAA...among numerous other policies. I never said it provides protection for anonymous people. My point was patient privacy is just that...private. It's one of the major tenets of HIPAA, It's nobody's business why someone got into an ambulance, unless you are rendering care to that person, regardless which country. And I seriously doubt anyone on this board was giving care or has a need to know. Period.

Thanks for agreeing with me. 😎

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

I am interested as a person who will be cruising in less then two weeks to determine if perhaps the ship has covid- and or flu going around.  I will wear a mask in elevators and busy areas of the ship.  

Snarky remarks aren't appreciated. 

If you are cruising in less than two weeks, then yes: both Covid and Influenza will be going around the ship (regardless of which ship you get on). 

• Like 1

I just read the initial post from the OP, and I have not read the replies - as my first reaction to that post was "why would this be on CruiseCritic"....??? Maybe someone fell and broke their hip, or had a heart attack or became ill due to one of "a thousand possible reasons" - with literally thousands of people on each cruise at any given time, there are persons who get seriously ill on board like there would be anywhere else.... Why this "need to know" about the health situation for someone you do not know personally?

Edited by TrumpyNor

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I am interested as a person who will be cruising in less then two weeks to determine if perhaps the ship has covid- and or flu going around.  I will wear a mask in elevators and busy areas of the ship.  

Snarky remarks aren't appreciated. 

Friends whom I cruised with a couple months ago left the ship with COVID.  However, they were both fully vaxxed and boosted, and were over it in a matter of days.  So yeah, there is COVID and flu on cruise ships.

Of course, nobody wants to get sick.  But this is no longer 2020.  COVID is usually manageable if you're vaxxed and/or get treated once diagnosed.  Take the necessary precautions and enjoy vacation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:know it's a contingency the cruise lines have planned for and see relatively often, but I've always been curious as to the actual numbers.  But then, I'm pretty morbid that way.  I want a BTS tour that includes the brig and morgue 

Years ago we were sailing out of New Orleans and made the acquaintance of two nice young men.   Turns out they were both morticians in NO and they said between the various ships calling on or sailing fromNO there was rarely a week that there was not a death.  This makes sense as so many cruisers are older, add to that dietary, exercise, and stressor changes, it is understandable that this would trigger health issues.  We have seen CPR performed, seizures, broken bones from falls, and subsequent evacs.  A cruise ship is a microcosm of society so spit happens.   And yep, we’ve seen our share of drug dogs in our hallway, men in black and perp walks.  But, yeh, I want to see the brig too!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eileeshb said:

The coastguard airlift will only happen if US is the closest hospital

Actually, if that's the best way to get a very ill patient to an appropriate hospital. In 2020, before the shutdown, was on a ship that diverted toward Grand Turk to rendezvous with a USCG helicopter dispatched from a base in the Bahamas. Grand Turk has only a tiny hospital and the one on Providenciales isn't much bigger; the goal was to get the patient to a place from which a fixed-wing air evacuation was possible. The nearest hospital that could have treated the patient was in Nassau, but the patient or the patient's family elected to be airlifted to Miami, and since they, or their travel insurance, were paying for that part of it, that's what was done.

Coast guards and navies of other countries also airlift patients, if they are the nearest that can help, but for the Caribbean islands it's usually the USCG even if the patient will be taken to another country.

Quite a few years ago I left a ship and was loaded onto an ambulance. My sister was grabbing some breakfast in the buffett prior to packing our stuff, finalizing a few things, and getting our luggage and herself to the hospital. She found it hilarious listening to the speculation about my condition. So glad I was able to make some peoples day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Whenever you have thousands of people in one place, many of them of a Certain Age, there will be some that get sick or die.  Onboard, you won't know about most of them unless there's a Code Alpha called.

I had a client who told me of cruising with her cousin who died in her sleep mid-cruise.  She raved about how well the cruise line (don't remember which) handled it.  I know it's a contingency the cruise lines have planned for and see relatively often, but I've always been curious as to the actual numbers.  But then, I'm pretty morbid that way.  I want a BTS tour that includes the brig and morgue 🤣

On one of our longer cruises, avg age in the 70s we were told that they “plan” on two deaths a week for such a cruise, but hope that about 80% of that get evacuated to a land based hospital before passing. That was a 34 night cruise, at the end of the cruise we were told that they had indeed had 10 passengers who started the cruise that were dead by the end, but only 1 actually died on the ship. The others dies either in hospital or on the way to hospital.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Why this "need to know" about the health situation for someone you do not know personally?

It's similar to the need to know why a ship still hasn't left port at it's scheduled departure time. 😏

I wish I had a dollar for every thread I've seen that starts "The (fill in  the name of any ship) was supposed to depart at 4:30 and it's 4:55 but the ship is still in port" as if that signaled the possible start of a nuclear holocaust.

People seem to have nothing better to do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Hate to be snarky (actually, I love to be snarky)...It's nobody's business. It's why HIPAA became a thing.

Healthcare nerd alert! Sharing a fun fact: It actually was created to help people keep their health insurance when they change jobs. The privacy part was really an evolution out of the records digitization and sharing part of the act. It wasn't the intent of the act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weltek said:

Healthcare nerd alert! Sharing a fun fact: It actually was created to help people keep their health insurance when they change jobs. The privacy part was really an evolution out of the records digitization and sharing part of the act. It wasn't the intent of the act.

Hospital Administrators focus on protecting patient privacy, which was a major aspect of HIPAA. Ever hear of a HIPAA violation? Sorry if that offends you. In any case, I'm done with this discussion and will not be reading or responding further. The rest of you can continue to beat this dead horse.

Edited by schmoopie17

38 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Hospital Administrators focus on protecting patient privacy, which was a major aspect of HIPAA. Ever hear of a HIPAA violation? Sorry if that offends you. In any case, I'm done with this discussion and will not be reading or responding further. The rest of you can continue to beat this dead horse.

So you try to correct them with what the law became where as they were stating your input regarding why it was a thing in the first place was incorrect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1305898/

"The primary purpose of the HIPAA rules is to protect health care coverage for individuals who lose or change their jobs."

Anyways I am moving on from this thread I was just interested in seeing what the issue was on the ship and hopefully the person is better or on the road to a full recovery.