Ambulance this morning

Cruise a holic

On the BA last week on night one and two we had coast guard evacs of a passenger.  We were late getting into out first port because of it, but a passengers well being overrides that minor inconvenience.  

On our first cruise out of New Orleans, many years ago we were met at the port by the coroner’s van. 

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 2

just be thankful it wasnt the captain. on the other hand, how would anyone else know why an ambulance came to the ship?its usually because a passenger requires more medical assistance than can be offered by the medical staff onboard. just hope itdoesnt happen to you or anyone you are sailing with

• Like 1

While docked in Cozumel, I believe, we were watching for runners, when an ambulance made its way to the ship.  They came aboard with their stretcher.  After a while they came out with a patient on the stretcher, who was not liking this one bit.  She was flailing about and doing everything she could to keep the crew from getting the stretcher into the ambulance bay.   The staff was trying to reasonwith her and she calmed down a bit and off they went.  Just as they made the turn onto the main branch of the pier they stopped and just sat there a while.   Then they slowly backed their down the pier to the ship.   They offloaded her andNCL crew put her ina wheelchair, presented her with some paperwork to sign, and took her back on board.

Always wondered what the story was.  I know, none of my business but having worked at Charity Hospital, New Orleans and had more than my share of unruly patients, I try to imagine which scenario goes with this situation. 

This is why you should travel with a passport! If you wind up with a medical condition that can’t be handled onboard you’ll be offloaded to the nearest port if they have the necessary facilities. The coastguard airlift will only happen if US is the closest hospital and the medical issue is urgent enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Hate to be snarky (actually, I love to be snarky)...It's nobody's business. It's why HIPAA became a thing.

Since we're being snarky,  HIPAA is rarely enforced in Bermuda because it's Bermuda and they aren't yet a state. 

Edited by Yesimapirate
  • Haha 1

Whenever you have thousands of people in one place, many of them of a Certain Age, there will be some that get sick or die.  Onboard, you won't know about most of them unless there's a Code Alpha called.

I had a client who told me of cruising with her cousin who died in her sleep mid-cruise.  She raved about how well the cruise line (don't remember which) handled it.  I know it's a contingency the cruise lines have planned for and see relatively often, but I've always been curious as to the actual numbers.  But then, I'm pretty morbid that way.  I want a BTS tour that includes the brig and morgue 🤣

2 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Whenever you have thousands of people in one place, many of them of a Certain Age, there will be some that get sick or die.  Onboard, you won't know about most of them unless there's a Code Alpha called.

I had a client who told me of cruising with her cousin who died in her sleep mid-cruise.  She raved about how well the cruise line (don't remember which) handled it.  I know it's a contingency the cruise lines have planned for and see relatively often, but I've always been curious as to the actual numbers.  But then, I'm pretty morbid that way.  I want a BTS tour that includes the brig and morgue 🤣

On one of my cruises there were 2 deaths on the final night, one of whom had hit her head on an excursion. That same cruise there were also 2 people taken off in cuffs so disembarkation was quite delayed. 

3 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I am interested as a person who will be cruising in less then two weeks to determine if perhaps the ship has covid- and or flu going around.

I'm fairly certain that every cruise "has covid and or flu going around."  Unless a person is otherwise highly compromised, it is highly unlikely that an ambulance would be involved.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm fairly certain that every cruise "has covid and or flu going around."  Unless a person is otherwise highly compromised, it is highly unlikely that an ambulance would be involved.

Yes.  However one of my neighbors who is 40 something died.  He didn't have any immunization.  We have had immunization including boosters.  So with proper precautions I feel relatively safe.  My DH had mild covid a few months ago.  I didn't catch it.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1